WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Ways to eat tortillas

Flat bread/tortillas are available in most resupply places on the trail. They are easy to carry and seem to last. What are some of the things you put on them to make a wrap?

Garlic
    Images

I'm a no-cook hiker, so tortillas are my staple. I'm also ovo-lacto vegetarian, so mainly I put cheese on them. When it's too hot for cheese, I use peanut butter. Or nothing. But I've seen just about everything put on tortillas, including melted Snickers bars.

I also met a hiker on the CDT who put store-bought tortillas in her mail drops about a month ahead of time, and they were still fine when she picked them up. So yes, they do seem to last. I get them to last about a week in my pack before they start crumbling apart.

There was a comparison study done once that tested the backpacking qualities of tortillas and the national brands like Mission fared pretty well, as I remember.

I have seen very few places where I could not buy a couple bags of tortillas. On the AT, I remember only one gas station C-store where I had to buy hot dog buns instead. They're everywhere now.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

peanut butter and jelly or honey!!!!! Some stores carry the PB & J premixed in a plastic container which may be the greatest invention in the history of mankind. Ate PB almost every day unless I was in town and did not burn out on it like some of the other trail foods. I actually preferred the thin bagels as they seemed to maintain structural integrity better in my pack. I also liked the lipton's spanish or mexican rice with slices of sausage, pepperoni, etc. rolled up in a tortilla or on a bagel.

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    Flat bread/tortillas are available in most resupply places on the trail. They are easy to carry and seem to last. What are some of the things you put on them to make a wrap?
    Peanut butter. It is the best food source, per ounce, that one can carry. Or so I have been told by those smarter than I am.

litefoot 2000

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Sausage or pepperoni and cheese

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Mashed potatoes! Yes, you read that right ... we put our dinner mashed potatoes in tortillas and it tastes great. Should I dare also say that we go cookless so our mashed potatoes are cold.

Images

Default Tortilla fillin' suggestions

Spam and cheddar with mayonnaise (from a packet).
    Tuna, Spam, Cheddar, and mayonnaise.
    The all time favorite..... The blessed Nutella and Peanutbutter in a tortilla! (much salivating!)
    If you want some added crunch with any of these try putting crushed fritos corn chips inside.
    Fritos are pratically a health food. Ingredients: Corn, Oil, Salt
    Headed in to town.. You gotta rock the down! -fellow hikers mantra

One of my favorite lunches is whole wheat tortillas with swiss cheese, half an avocado sliced, salt, and pepper. It is also very good with the addition of pepperoni.
    Forrest Phil

I like pre-cooked bacon and mayo on mine, PBJ also.
    "every day's a holiday, every meal a feast"

cochinita pibil y habanero beeeeaches

Filled with chocolate chips and marshmallows, then heated over a camp fire, for a nice hot dessert.

Has anyone ever taken a lightweight skillet and olive oil to have chips and salsa or something of the sorts?

I realize this wouldn't be very lightweight at all but it would be good!

Do y'all take mostly flour tortillas? Or do some dabble in the corn variety. All the amigos I know stay strictly with a yellow or white corn tortilla. They look on you with derision if you show up at a jobsite with the flour type. More than one has adamantly claimed that the corn gives you more "power".

I like em all though, and corn is more prone to crumbling.
    "some editing should be done in parentheses for clarity where spelling prevents reading."---matthewski

For the first night or second night out, I like to take the Lipton/Knorr Spanish rice and some Taco Bell sauce packets and make a spanish night out of it. I also throw some cheddar on that. I took a brick of cheddar in the Smokies in the dead of summer last year and it lasted long enough for me to eat it all.
    Cabin Fever
    You need God—to hope, to care, to love, to live.

Flour torilla-Can of chicken, sliced avocado, onion, and taco seasoning or your own mix of it. I usually make it hot by sauteeing the onion and chicken with the taco seasoning. Add some cheese and eat up.

I also make bean burittos with the dry refried bean flakes you can get at most any spanish market, with some diced onion and cheddar. I have also added beef jerkey to this and it was pretty tasty as well.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Awol1970 View Post
    Do y'all take mostly flour tortillas? Or do some dabble in the corn variety. All the amigos I know stay strictly with a yellow or white corn tortilla. They look on you with derision if you show up at a jobsite with the flour type. More than one has adamantly claimed that the corn gives you more "power".

I like em all though, and corn is more prone to crumbling.
    Flour have more fat, I think. That's why I carry them on the trail, and probably why they seem to last longer before going stale. I enjoy both at home.

That preference/bias reminds me of Ray Jardine and his corn pasta. Ray Jardine is a PCT guru who touts endlessly the nutritional and energy advantages of corn pasta. The year I hiked the PCT the hiker boxes were full of corn pasta. It's probably superior to wheat pasta, but it just doesn't taste as good.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

dried bean flakes, rehydrated + onions, cheese, peppers, etc.

Yum
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

For the first dinner after a resupply I like to sauté diced onion in some EVOO and add broccoli. Then I cut a tortilla into sections and with some cheddar cheese I can make broccoli quesadillas. Tabasco goes well on them, too.

+1 to dried refried beans (powder). Lightweight to carry, good source of protein, and tasty.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Quote Originally Posted by BrianLe View Post
    +1 to dried refried beans (powder). Lightweight to carry, good source of protein, and tasty.
    Where doya get refried bean powder?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++