WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

It depends on the shape of the metal object, not just the composition. So I wouldn't say definitively that Ti is safe to microwave.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gipsy View Post
    Water conducts electricity... So do chickens (don't ask!)
    I was thinking metals... man, you've got to be specific around here...

I like the way you think sir. (I once microwaved a gerbil-ya it didn't turn out well for me or the gerbil)(I was 5 by the way-it was 1980-81 and our first one)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by LordoftheWings View Post
    I like the way you think sir. (I once microwaved a gerbil-ya it didn't turn out well for me or the gerbil)(I was 5 by the way-it was 1980-81 and our first one)
    So how was it? did you baste it? stuff it? Do tell!

I think they would be kinda hot wings. You know, like you would have to eat several to get full.
    The hand may be quicker than the eye, but it is often proven that the mouth is a thousand times faster than the brain!

Gipsy

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rick500 View Post
    It depends on the shape of the metal object, not just the composition. So I wouldn't say definitively that Ti is safe to microwave.
    I tested the cup after reading this.... it was fine. Same results as lid.
    The hand may be quicker than the eye, but it is often proven that the mouth is a thousand times faster than the brain!

Gipsy

See http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/f...crowave-109845 for a bit of a better explanation than the people around here have given.

Images

The classic interactive microwave moment

http://www.clipal.com/video/gerbil_in_microwave
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Journal Entries

If you put metal on the glass dish, it's usually ok, but if the metal touches the bottom or sides is when sparks tend to fly - at least that was the test I did in school showed - also, things inside metal will not heat, as the microwaves don't penetrate metal and are just reflected back. We wrapped an ice cube in foil and put it in the microwave, the only microwave that esssploded was the one without the glass in the bottom, the rest had a perfectly cold ice cube wrapped in foil - then we just put an ice cube in and tried again, the microwaves were able to excite the molecules creating heat and melting the cube.
    2012 NOBO - April start date
    Follow me here: Here, There, and Everywhere

Images

We got our first microwave in 1983, when I was 13. At that time I had a fondness for soft boiled or minute eggs. Well not knowing any better I thought that if I boiled the egg for a minute in water, than the same had to work for the microwave and I just put the egg in the oven and set it for a minute. Once the minute was up I took the egg out and with a knife I went to break the shell. Tapped in once with a knife. Tapped it a second time and the egg exploded! Cooked egg was everywhere. All over my face with white and yolk all in my hair and eyebrows. There was egg all over the ceiling, with a silhouette of my head in the exploded egg pattern.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Now that is funny!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    We got our first microwave in 1983, when I was 13. At that time I had a fondness for soft boiled or minute eggs. Well not knowing any better I thought that if I boiled the egg for a minute in water, than the same had to work for the microwave and I just put the egg in the oven and set it for a minute. Once the minute was up I took the egg out and with a knife I went to break the shell. Tapped in once with a knife. Tapped it a second time and the egg exploded! Cooked egg was everywhere. All over my face with white and yolk all in my hair and eyebrows. There was egg all over the ceiling, with a silhouette of my head in the exploded egg pattern.
    kind of an eggsplosion??
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Images

I bought a gadget that is made to make boiled eggs in the microwave. It is plastic outside and shaped like an egg (asthetics I'd say). It has a metal tray that would seem to be aluminum that you place the eggs in. Water goes underneath the tray and the bottom piece that the water is in is lined with metal. The upper piece is solid plastic with a hole in top to let steam escape.

Don't know how it work with the metal, but obviously brings water to a boil and cooks 3 hardboiled eggs perfectly every time in 9 min.. Shells come right off if you cool them with cold tap water.
    If you don't make waves, it means you ain't paddling

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I was thinking metals... man, you've got to be specific around here...
    Actually, water itself is not electro-conductive. It's the fact that so many compounds readily dissociate in water, that make it appear to be electro-conductive. When salts or acids dissociate in water it creates charged particles that are readily conductive.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Red Beard View Post
    Actually, water itself is not electro-conductive. It's the fact that so many compounds readily dissociate in water, that make it appear to be electro-conductive. When salts or acids dissociate in water it creates charged particles that are readily conductive.
    I surrender.

Had to bust your chops a little more. I figured you'd know I was funnin'

Images

Exactly. That's why Gatorade is called an electrolyte. Never drink electrolytes in a lightning storm unless you drink it from a titanium mug.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    Sounds like the mess I had the other day. I sneezed while chewing a hard-boiled egg.
    "Walk as if you are kissing the Earth with your feet."
    -Thich Nhat Hahn

http://www.cranberrymountainlodge.com/

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1838232611

Images

do us a test. put one of these...

in distilled water and check to see if it is hot with your finger. (keep your other hand behind your back) then re-post
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    do us a test. put one of these...

in distilled water and check to see if it is hot with your finger. (keep your other hand behind your back) then re-post
    Doen't depend on the conductivity of water to work. You can touch the element, no problem.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    doen't depend on the conductivity of water to work. You can touch the element, no problem.
    do it!!!...
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++