WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

I can't grow a full beard either. Pisses me off.

They say thinking about sex makes produces testosterone and testosterone is what makes beards grow.

Facial hair is largely governed by production of testosterone, which is known to be secreted by the testicles in greater quantities during and in anticipation of intercourse. Scientists have also found that increased beard growth was associated with tension, mental fatigue, alcohol and increased shaving. On the other hand, it is apparently curtailed by heavy exercise and high temperatures.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Found this video a few months ago on youtube while surfing around. I was very unsuccessful in growing a beard on my thru-hike at the age of 20, but I still didn't shave that sucker! I say let it go and don't shave it. My neard was pretty awesome though. Good luck on your journey!

I hope people don't expect me to shave my beard at the beginning of my journey. I've rocked this thing since I graduated college and would freak out if I ever lost it.

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    if i grew a beard id have to register it with the police as i grow blades over 4 inches that dont fold. my cutting streangth is that of a small drum sander. i can make tinder by rubbing a 2x4 in my beard lightly. ive sent women to the emergency room with open chest wounds. not kidding.
    In that case, may I recommend that you don't fertilize your beard !!!

Journal Entries
    Images

I was nearly 40 before I could grow a beard without patches and bare spots. I wished for facial hair so hard, now it's coming out of my nose, ears, and my eyebrows look like they could reach out and grab you. Better than half of it is coming in white as well.
    Don't wish your life away, young'un. I'd rather be young with a clean face than an old man with rickety knees and an awesome beard.

ahh... this thread is a breath of fresh air.

I was concerned I would be the only bare-chinned man on the trail.

I'm going to see what will grow, but I don't have very high expectations.
    You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment"
    -Henry David Thoreau

Lol I seem to have old man genes or something, I couldn't grow a full beard until high school, now people at work have started calling me grizzly adams.
    i love having an awesome beard but it is a pain to shave when you need/want to look clean shaven, and I find people look at you differently when you have a beard (they seem to be less trusting)
    The beard is good for storing extra foods, and gear tho

Images

I have had a beard for 38 years. I use Dr. Bronner's Magic soap, it will grow hair on your face and back, but not your head. The peppermint works best.

Images

Beards are a PITA, especially when they get long. I wish I had your problem. I would love to be clean shaven with no difficulty. If I shave at 8am I have stubble by noon and look downright scruffy by 5pm. I only grow a beard because it's easier and shaving everyday does a number on my skin. My bosses and co-workers think I look unprofessional, but I've stopped caring. I do like to keep my beard short though, especially when I'm on the trail. A short beard is much more comfortable when hiking.
    Mobilis in Mobili

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
    I can't grow a full beard either. Pisses me off.

They say thinking about sex makes produces testosterone and testosterone is what makes beards grow.
    I was told by a totally bald friend that with testosterone you can either grow hair or HAVE great sex. I have a full head of hair at my advanced age and can grow a beard with no problem. *sigh*
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

one word:

Combover, lol. OK, that would be a bad idea.

how about a beard comb over?

Another beard time lapse. Not from the AT, but from China to Germany. Still quite a walk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ky6v...otation_318244
    You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment"
    -Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by KUNU View Post
    I’ve been trying to plan for my upcoming SOBO thru-hike in June by concentrating on growing a thick manly hiker beard one could be proud of but have continued to fail miserably. I’m already 22 years old and can still barley manage a sorta goatee region and some pathetic patches. I’ve been checking out tons of trail journals and other hiker’s galleries and fear I will be left out of the exclusive hikers with awesome beards club. Every night before I go to bed I pray to the hiker gods that I will wake up in the morning with a truly amazing lumberjack beard but fear that this day will never come. Does anybody have any sort of workout, training regiment or form of meditation I could start that will have me on the path to manliness come June?
    Empathy and sympathy here. I grew my beard on a hiking trip to England in 1999 and kept it despite the scraggly look and occasional bare spots. My mustache is very full - wish the beard had the construct of the mustache.

So my advanced age hasn't helped improve my beard but I've got a pretty good headful of hair.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Too funny, and very true.

I had the scraggly beard thing when I was 18 or 19, then I spent six years in the military, so I had to shave every day (dagnabbit!) I stopped shaving the day I got out, and was able to grow a much nicer beard. Uniformly dark and thick and all that. Now you might generously describe it as "salt and pepper" though it looks mostly white when I look in the mirror.

So go with the goatee look for now, and in a few years you'll be able to grow a nice thick beard. Chicks dig that sort of thing, based on my personal experience anyway.
    I only met Big Cranky once and briefly at that but I thought his beard was awesome.

I remember a young guy thruhiking in '04 from Colorado - trail name Hustler - who had a nice thick lush beard.

I *have* to shave twice a week (of course, I don't). It's just genetics. Maybe make up for not being an Awesome Beard Hiker by being an Awesome Bandana Hiker: I never could figure out how to tie those things.

Feathered friend to all. Penguin's Avatar

The best thing about having a beard, is all the random girls that come up to me, stroke it (the beard) and tell me they wished their boyfriends could grow a beard. Plus if I ever go to Pakistan I'd fit right in.

Quote Originally Posted by KUNU View Post
    I’ve been trying to plan for my upcoming SOBO thru-hike in June by concentrating on growing a thick manly hiker beard one could be proud of but have continued to fail miserably. I’m already 22 years old and can still barley manage a sorta goatee region and some pathetic patches. I’ve been checking out tons of trail journals and other hiker’s galleries and fear I will be left out of the exclusive hikers with awesome beards club. Every night before I go to bed I pray to the hiker gods that I will wake up in the morning with a truly amazing lumberjack beard but fear that this day will never come. Does anybody have any sort of workout, training regiment or form of meditation I could start that will have me on the path to manliness come June?
    gotta go thru puberty first

Images

what no ultra-light ounces commits im sourly disappointed, and to think i knew you guys so well......or does ounces not count when it comes to looking cool....
    smitty2.0

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++