WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default AT Actual Walking Length

Went out on my first hike of the year last weekend. Buddy and I had an interesting conversation. Has anyone ever calculated the actual lenth of the trail taking slopes into account? If 2,170+ is the flat distance on a 2D map, then the actual length that you walk is ________ if it were stretched flat.

Journal Entries
    Images

For a very long time the distances were measured by a wheel.

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ham-Bone View Post
    Went out on my first hike of the year last weekend. Buddy and I had an interesting conversation. Has anyone ever calculated the actual lenth of the trail taking slopes into account? If 2,170+ is the flat distance on a 2D map, then the actual length that you walk is ________ if it were stretched flat.
    I've often wondered that myself on other trails also..Having seen signs with distances marked from place to place and then seemingly walked much farther than that does tend to make one wonder it it's flat map distances and not taking slope error or the fact that every little curve and crook in the trails aren't shown on maps. Or could it be distances calculated by GPS routes, again not accounting for all the crooks and curves between the different way points or the slope error?
    Someone said for a long time the distances were measured with a wheel. I suppose that would be the most accurate method possible.
    You asked a good question that I would like to know the answer too also. Not that it REALLY matters because the distance we actually walk be the same regardless of whether or not we know the accurate distances.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I'm pretty sure the distances account for elevation changes because I'm very attuned to how fast I'm moving and how long it takes me to cover a certain distance on all types of terrain.

That's not to say that AT mileage signs are accurate +-/ 10' or anything but they're close enough for government work IMO.

It has been measured with a wheel and I also believe a GPS. Mileages are for the exact walking distance. I remember a year when Warren Doyle was pushing a wheel, 1990 I think and the mileage that year was 2,168.

geek

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post
    It has been measured with a wheel and I also believe a GPS. Mileages are for the exact walking distance. I remember a year when Warren Doyle was pushing a wheel, 1990 I think and the mileage that year was 2,168.

geek
    WOW..That had to be tedious pushing a wheel that far..also measuring with a GPS and taking measurements at every turn would have been tedious also. Of course the GPS couldn't measure the slope error. I suppose the operator of the GPS could have counted contour lines and figured the slope error. There is a mathematical formula to do that. Again, a very tedious task for over 2100 miles.

I belive distances are still measured by wheel, which is the only way to get a pretty accurate measurment. GPS hasn't been around long enough to be used for trail signage mileage.

Distance shown on trail signs is rounded to the nearist .1 mile and sometimes aren't updated if there was a reroute. And we all know that at times there are short 3/10ths of a mile and sometimes there are looong 3/10ths of a mile (usually at the end of a long day when that 3/10ths is up hill to a shelter!)
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Good to know....I didn't expect that answer. This means that the elevation profiles that I look at can't be extremely accurate since they are plotted on a grid with equal 1 mile increments that correlate with AT mile markers. Since the AT mile markers are wheel-measured (thus actual length including slopes), then the grid marks should...............Ah nevermind, this is giving me a headache!

Quote Originally Posted by Ham-Bone View Post
    Good to know....I didn't expect that answer. This means that the elevation profiles that I look at can't be extremely accurate since they are plotted on a grid with equal 1 mile increments that correlate with AT mile markers. Since the AT mile markers are wheel-measured (thus actual length including slopes), then the grid marks should...............Ah nevermind, this is giving me a headache!
    Also, read up on vertical exaggeration as it relates to the elevation profiles on your maps.

The distances listed (by and large) account for elevation changes.

If you think about it, it'd be easier to push a wheel than it would be to figure out flat line distances through the mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Also, read up on vertical exaggeration as it relates to the elevation profiles on your maps.

The distances listed (by and large) account for elevation changes.

If you think about it, it'd be easier to push a wheel than it would be to figure out flat line distances through the mountains.
    I see your location is Erwin. That is where I hiked this weekend (to and fro Erwin).

Images

There was one stretch (I can't remember exactly where it was... northern part of the trail somewhere) where the mileage signs were WAY off. They were all about 30% short of actual mileage. I wonder if some industrious trail maintainer replaced all the exiting signs with GPS mileage that did not account for elevation changes. It wasn't a big deal, but it was a full day of "God dammit. I know I have walked [X] miles by now!" Anyone recall that? Vermont maybe?

Images

If someone could measure the AT taking all bends and bumps into account then the measured length would be much higher, perhaps tens of thousands of miles. Measuring any kind of highly irregular path like a coast line is tricky because the more closely you measure the longer it gets.

this brings up another thing i've often thought of... has anyone an idea of how long a thru hiker actually walks, i.e. in town, through the grocery store, to the springs, to the bathroom, getting lost, etc... maybe 3000???

http://www.postholer.com/ontrail
    2011 H.F.-Duncannon, Katahdin-Rangeley
    2012 Springer-Erwin

Images

Good old high school math comes to the rescue! Pythogorean Theorem, people. On wikipedia, the horizontal component of the trail is given (2,180 miles) along with the vertical component (475,200 feet of elevation change). So what do you do? Add the squares of each length, find that number's square root, and that is the actual distance, taking into account the rises! (If I'm wrong, someone correct me here...)

Therefore, the length would be (2,181miles*5,280feetpermile)^2 + (475,200feet)^2 = 132,610,885,862,400 + 225,815,040,000 = 132,836,700,902,400. The square root of this is 11,525,480.51, and divided by 5,280 feetpermile gives us 2,182.9 miles.

Only an extra two miles, but pretty interesting! (I realize after doing this that working with miles instead of feet would have been way easier... whoops.)

Cool hands: where did you get that elevation change number? I once heard the A.T. is equivalent of ascending and descending Mount Everest 7 times, but according to your number it's actually a bit over 8.

Images

I found this number via wikipedia, which cites the "Appalachian Trial Database" as its source for the number. But now that I think of my little equation, it sounds too simple.... I'm not sure if I'm correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Linesman View Post
    If someone could measure the AT taking all bends and bumps into account then the measured length would be much higher, perhaps tens of thousands of miles. Measuring any kind of highly irregular path like a coast line is tricky because the more closely you measure the longer it gets.
    Absolutely. Remember it's only a 1400 mile drive from Amicola to Baxter State Parks. Also keep in mind that every step you take off the center line of trail doesn't count. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the average thru-hiker actually ends up walking at least twice the recorded length of the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis Tim View Post
    Absolutely. Remember it's only a 1400 mile drive from Amicola to Baxter State Parks. Also keep in mind that every step you take off the center line of trail doesn't count. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the average thru-hiker actually ends up walking at least twice the recorded length of the trail.
    And don't forget the curvature of the earth. The further north you go, the shorter a mile is.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Linesman View Post
    Tens of thousands? You're joking. Hundreds of extra miles? Still probably not. A few dozen more miles? Maybe.

Any mathematicians out there feel free to correct the recollections of this old history major but few years ago I watched a fascinating documentary on fractal geometry. In it they discussed the paradox of infinite regression when trying to map an irregular contour such as coastline. Since you can always reduce the scale to find more to measure it turns out that the contour of any island is infinitely long. I don't know about that but I think any thru-hiker will tell you that is, without a doubt, true about the Appalachian Trail .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++