WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Dang all these books listed, I have a stack of them in my "to read" pile...I need to get busy lol

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Speer Carrier View Post
    In my opinion the book is just okay. I think "Walking on the Other Side of Misery" and "On the Beaten Path" are the two best I've read about the trail.
    I echo that "On the Beaten Path' is one of the best books on the thru Hiking experience by Robert Rubin. Robert is open, honest and transparent about his thru hike and the tension between himself and his wife while he is away. Awol on the AT is another very good book.

Images

Thanks for the suggestion I really like reading AT books one of my favorites is "A Season on the Appalachian Trail" and I just finished "AWOL on the AT" I have read about 6 now and will get hold of this one.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Echo View Post
    How many threads do we actually need about Winton Porters book?
    You got that right.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    My favorite too, especially Vol. 1 and in particular Dorothy Laker's stories. I would have loved to met her.
    Dorothy Laker has been my hero for many years now, all due to reading about her in the two volume set.

NOW BACK TO "JUST PASSIN' THRU
    In April 2011, I took out this book on a 17 day backpacking trip and wrote this review while holed up in my tent during those nasty April tornado storms passing thru Alabama and East TN. (I was safely camped behind a large rock ledge in the Bald River wilderness and so avoided the worst of the wind). Sorry I don't agree about the "fineness" of the book, but it's just one man's opinion. Read on:

BOOK REVIEW OF "JUST PASSIN' THRU"
    I know exactly what the boys at Mountain Crossings would suggest for me:
    ** Get rid of my 8lb pack.
    ** Dump the zero down bag for something lighter.
    ** Don't need 40lbs of food.
    ** Don't need a white gas stove or 32oz of fuel.
    ** Leave the books behind.
    ** Do you really need a 7lb tent when a one pound tarp will do?
    ** My Icebreaker tops are way too heavy.
    ** The Arcteryx rain jacket is overkill, get something lighter.

And here's the twist, they sell the very same items in the store that they probably recommend as replacements!

BELABORED COOLNESS
    Another point: There's old hand Billy Bumblefoot who in my opinion can't seem to speak a coherent sentence (at least in the book) without sounding like a guru of all things forest and trail, every movement seemingly calculated to impress or show an enlightened trail weariness verging on jaded imperialism. The belabored coolness in and around the Walasi-Yi center could cause any experienced backpacker a hard case of Get Me Out Of Here AppalachianTrail Burnout. Billy's hiking process is always mentioned by Porter, like he would say, to paraphrase, "For his age it's incredible how fast he moves thru the woods, his step is light and faster than hikers three times younger than him." As if speed in the woods is relevant to anything. Meanwhile, a Cherokee Indian of a thousand years ago could take ten times as long to hike the same trail and step very slow and very soft. Winton Porter says, "I wonder how a man of his age can keep such a pace. He moves like a ghost floating through the forest." (page 46) PORTER.

CONTRIVED MENTORING
    People who hang out at the center seem to be intricately committed to their own purported self-importance on all aspects of hiking the AT, and newbs get silent and in awe when they walk into a room such as the example of Demetri Coupounas in conversation with another trail guru. At least this is what I've gleaned from the book. In fact, instead of hanging out to impress the newbs or to mumble pithy trailside haiku, or to use the facility as a home or half-way house for convertible pant-clad egos, these people should be out backpacking somewhere and sleeping outdoors.

Never one for crowds of self-appointed experts or group-think, I believe the Walasi-Yi experience as described in the book would drive me nuts as the AT alpha dogs spend their energy strutting, snarling, eyeballing, and condenscendingly patting the newbs on the shoulder with a contrived empathy and with "look at me" being possibly the predominant emotion. Even the pithy "It's not about the miles, it's about the smiles" is another flung philosopher's stone smacking up against the temple and is unsolicited and unneeded and best kept to one's self.

SURROUNDED BY EXPERTS
    The sad fact is, newbs are surrounded by so-called experts, old hands, trail dogs, repeat thruhikers, and hiker trash, and it's like throwing a hot dog into a pit of chihuahuas. They will be told what they need as if the experts have a clue, and then the newbs will have the opportunity to improve their lot by purchasing gear at, yes, the conveniently located Walasi outfitters store. The experts are using magical words with the newbs when going thru their gear, like they are saving lives, or if they wear blue jeans or take just a blanket they'll be dead in the next week. Instead of HYOH, they are heavy on Hike My Hike Damnit.

A HALF WAY HOUSE FOR DRUNKS?
    And then in the book there's the long tiresome chapter on the Walasi-Yi "drinkers" and party nights where beer seems to be the necessary drug of choice. Newbs can't help but think that to become a trail weary guru they also need to be alcoholics, and no old hand ever comes up in the book to report first hand on how the outdoors and firewater do not mix. Where is their clever pontificating then? They're crazy about spouting off about No Cotton Or You'll Be Dead In A Week, but have nothing to say about getting rid of the booze.

Sometimes I think many of the old trail legends are nothing more than bearded beer-lovers who want to be big fish in a small pond, and perhaps the Walasi-Yi center encourages their behavior and their hanging-on presence. It's a place to see and be seen, and unfortunately all AT backpackers have to pass thru the hallway and consequently have to endure the mind-numbing predictability of hero worship and stumbling wide-eyed newbs in an intricately choreographed dance honed thru the many decades of the AT's existence.

There's nothing much worse than having newbs and experts in the same room and then watching the experts make all the right sounds and moves and gestures of complete ego-inflamed idiocy. I've seen this dance play out at various shelters along the AT, and I call it "holding court." It's enough to cause a normal backpacker to blue blaze a trail around the center and thereby avoid the visual and auditory assault sure to come. So my advice to AT thruhikers is to start in December and avoid the crowds, and plan to pass thru Walasi on a nighthike at 2am and avoid the seasoned eyeball stares.

AVOID THE ROADS
    Remember the old AT adage, "Avoid the Roads"? Well, the Walasi center has a car parking lot and is on a road and while the AT may actually pass thru the center, it's really just a fancy road crossing and nothing more. Often it's best to do what Doug Peacock used to do on his backpacking trips: Hide in the woods at a road crossing, then when clear run across with your pack and hide on the other side until clear and continue on your way. So too at the road crossing at Walasi: Don't be seen by the car-transported and the lard gawkers and the rolling couch potatoes. Entering a car-fed area is a real downer on a long backpacking trip and which is it gonna be, the forest or the town?

FINALLY: CRICKET AND THE ULTRALIGHTERS
    But Winton Porter scores a perfect 100% on his description of ultralight backpacking and backpackers such as Cricket who come into the center with the smug satisfaction of having a very light pack. Winton calls ULers "GoFreezers" and has this to say about Cricket: He enters the store and walks around " . . . . until he has made a complete circuit of the store and established contact with all of his potential disciples. He will wait until some hiker or tourist stops him and asks The Question---"How much are you carrying?" That will be my cue to run, because then the GoFreezer will loudly give twenty minutes of show-and-tell, sprinkled with advice that is perfectly capable of killing a novice hiker." QUOTE BY WINTON PORTER. Page 31.

i've never bought any gear at mtn. crossings. didn't need it. and most hikers don't. best to avoid the place

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    You got that right.

Dorothy Laker has been my hero for many years now, all due to reading about her in the two volume set.

NOW BACK TO "JUST PASSIN' THRU
    In April 2011, I took out this book on a 17 day backpacking trip and wrote this review while holed up in my tent during those nasty April tornado storms passing thru Alabama and East TN. (I was safely camped behind a large rock ledge in the Bald River wilderness and so avoided the worst of the wind). Sorry I don't agree about the "fineness" of the book, but it's just one man's opinion. Read on:

BOOK REVIEW OF "JUST PASSIN' THRU"
    I know exactly what the boys at Mountain Crossings would suggest for me:
    ** Get rid of my 8lb pack.
    ** Dump the zero down bag for something lighter.
    ** Don't need 40lbs of food.
    ** Don't need a white gas stove or 32oz of fuel.
    ** Leave the books behind.
    ** Do you really need a 7lb tent when a one pound tarp will do?
    ** My Icebreaker tops are way too heavy.
    ** The Arcteryx rain jacket is overkill, get something lighter.

And here's the twist, they sell the very same items in the store that they probably recommend as replacements!

BELABORED COOLNESS
    Another point: There's old hand Billy Bumblefoot who in my opinion can't seem to speak a coherent sentence without sounding like a self-ordained guru of all things forest and trail, every movement seemingly calculated to impress or show an enlightened trail weariness verging on jaded imperialism. The belabored coolness in and around the Walasi-Yi center could cause any experienced backpacker a hard case of Get Me Out Of Here AppalachianTrail Burnout. Billy's hiking process is always mentioned by Porter, like he would say, "For his age it's incredible how fast he moves thru the woods, his step is light and faster than hikers three times younger than him." As if speed in the woods is relevant to anything. Meanwhile, a Cherokee Indian of a thousand years ago could take ten times as long to hike the same trail and step very slow and very softly. Winton Porter says, "I wonder how a man of his age can keep such a pace. He moves like a ghost floating through the forest." (page 46) PORTER.

CONTRIVED MENTORING
    People who hang out at the center seem to be intricately committed to their own purported self-importance on all aspects of hiking the AT, and newbs get silent and in awe when they walk into a room such as the example of Demetri Coupounas in conversation with another trail guru. At least this is what I've gleaned from the book. In fact, instead of hanging out to impress the newbs or to mumble pithy trailside haiku, or to use the facility as a home or half-way house for convertible pant-clad egos, these people should be out backpacking somewhere and sleeping outdoors.

Never one for crowds of self-appointed experts or group-think, I believe the Walasi-Yi experience as described in the book would drive me nuts as the AT alpha dogs spend their energy strutting, snarling, eyeballing, and condenscendingly patting the newbs on the shoulder with a contrived empathy and with "look at me" being possibly the predominant emotion. Even the pithy "It's not about the miles, it's about the smiles" is another flung philosopher's stone smacking up against the temple and is unsolicited and unneeded and best kept to one's self.

SURROUNDED BY EXPERTS
    The sad fact is, newbs are surrounded by so-called experts, old hands, trail dogs, repeat thruhikers, and hiker trash, and it's like throwing a hot dog into a pit of chihuahuas. They will be told what they need as if the experts have a clue, and then the newbs will have the opportunity to improve their lot by purchasing gear at, yes, the conveniently located Walasi outfitters store. The experts are using magical words with the newbs when going thru their gear, like they are saving lives, or if they wear blue jeans or take just a blanket they'll be dead in the next week. Instead of HYOH, they are heavy on Hike My Hike Damnit.

A HALF WAY HOUSE FOR DRUNKS?
    And then in the book there's the long tiresome chapter on the Walasi-Yi "drinkers" and party nights where beer seems to be the necessary drug of choice. Newbs can't help but think that to become a trail weary guru they also need to be alcoholics, and no old hand ever comes up in the book to report first hand on how the outdoors and firewater do not mix. Where is their clever pontificating then? They're crazy about spouting off about No Cotton Or You'll Be Dead In A Week, but have nothing to say about getting rid of the booze.

Sometimes I think many of the old trail legends are nothing more than bearded beer-lovers who want to be big fish in a small pond, and perhaps the Walasi-Yi center encourages their behavior and their hanging-on presence. It's a place to see and be seen, and unfortunately all AT backpackers have to pass thru the hallway and consequently have to endure the mind-numbing predictability of hero worship and stumbling wide-eyed newbs in an intricately choreographed dance honed thru the many decades of the AT's existence.

There's nothing much worse than having newbs and experts in the same room and then watching the experts make all the right sounds and moves and gestures of complete ego-inflamed idiocy. I've seen this dance play out at various shelters along the AT, and I call it "holding court." It's enough to cause a normal backpacker to blue blaze a trail around the center and thereby avoid the visual and auditory assault sure to come. So my advice to AT thruhikers is to start in December and avoid the crowds, and plan to pass thru Walasi on a nighthike at 2am and avoid the seasoned eyeball stares.

AVOID THE ROADS
    Remember the old AT adage, "Avoid the Roads"? Well, the Walasi center has a car parking lot and is on a road and while the AT may actually pass thru the center, it's really just a fancy road crossing and nothing more. Often it's best to do what Doug Peacock used to do on his backpacking trips: Hide in the woods at a road crossing, then when clear run across with your pack and hide on the other side until clear and continue on your way. So too at the road crossing at Walasi: Don't be seen by the car-transported and the lard gawkers and the rolling couch potatoes. Entering a car-fed area is a real downer on a long backpacking trip and which is it gonna be, the forest or the town?

FINALLY: CRICKET AND THE ULTRALIGHTERS
    But Winton Porter scores a perfect 100% on his description of ultralight backpacking and backpackers such as Cricket who come into the center with the smug satisfaction of having a very light pack. Winton calls ULers "GoFreezers" and has this to say about Cricket: He enters the store and walks around " . . . . until he has made a complete circuit of the store and established contact with all of his potential disciples. He will wait until some hiker or tourist stops him and asks The Question---"How much are you carrying?" That will be my cue to run, because then the GoFreezer will loudly give twenty minutes of show-and-tell, sprinkled with advice that is perfectly capable of killing a novice hiker." QUOTE BY WINTON PORTER. Page 31.
    You are wise Tipi Walter...

Have you ever even been in Mountain Crossings, Tipi Walter? I go there often and have never even felt the arrogance you seem to be implying in the review. And, in point of fact, once a staff "expert" suggested that a Warbonnet Blackbird hammock would be a great choice - but "no, we don't sell them."
    Oh yeah, I enjoyed the book very much. It was a nice break from all the thru-hike books I've been reading.

I'm waiting for the Mark Sanford book "Hiking the AT via Argentina"

Quote Originally Posted by Pixelgator View Post
    Have you ever even been in Mountain Crossings, Tipi Walter? I go there often and have never even felt the arrogance you seem to be implying in the review. And, in point of fact, once a staff "expert" suggested that a Warbonnet Blackbird hammock would be a great choice - but "no, we don't sell them."
    Oh yeah, I enjoyed the book very much. It was a nice break from all the thru-hike books I've been reading.
    It's just my review of the book and my opinion only from what I got from the book.

There's nothing much worse than having newbs and experts in the same room and then watching the experts make all the right sounds and moves and gestures of complete ego-inflamed idiocy. I've seen this dance play out at various shelters along the AT, and I call it "holding court."
    "Holding Court." I've used the same term to describe former thru-hikers who stand outside the Blood Mtn Shelter during peak season making sure that everyone who passes knows that they are former thru's and they will offer unsolicted (and solicted) advice as long as the passing hikers will stay and listen. Sad, actually.

I don't spend much time at MC but I know that the same thing goes on there.

Images

i dont see how its much different than here on WB.I f I listened to everyone here as far as equipment suggestions go, id have to get a warehouse to store gear.Winton Porter has a pretty good gig going on with a captive audience to sell to, but I think anyone who's planned well, would just tell them "no thanks" if they wanted to see your gear.I thought the book gave a good idea of different personalities on the AT, but Id like to know if Mountain Crossings actually buys any used gear from the people they sell to, or just take it off their hands.. What happens to all the replaced gear they accumulate, I wonder?

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    .. What happens to all the replaced gear they accumulate, I wonder?
    They don't accumulate it - it gets boxed up and shipped back to the owners home. I did get a (slighty) used bivy sack there once, but they don't normally have used stuff for sale.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    They don't accumulate it - it gets boxed up and shipped back to the owners home. I did get a (slighty) used bivy sack there once, but they don't normally have used stuff for sale.
    Now that Im thinking about it, I couldnt imagine them offering a used 7 pound pack to someone toting a gossamer gear pack. "why not replace your WM 1lb bag with something a lot heavier?

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    "Holding Court." I've used the same term to describe former thru-hikers who stand outside the Blood Mtn Shelter during peak season making sure that everyone who passes knows that they are former thru's and they will offer unsolicted (and solicted) advice as long as the passing hikers will stay and listen. Sad, actually.

I don't spend much time at MC but I know that the same thing goes on there.
    You can always spot the "holding court" types by the way they never ask any questions from the people around them. They're just not interested. I ran into a guy and his friend on the AT holding court at the Thomas Knob shelter by Mt Rogers and so I threw off my pack to rest and sit and listen. The near nonstop "podium presentation" was starting to get to me as he went on and on about backpacking and trail tips and all else. He spoke with authority and got the nods of approval from his entourage. He finally took a breath and I asked a quick question: "What about winter? Have you ever camped in the snow?", and he said "I don't go out in the winter and no, I've never done snow camping." I knew then, for sure, that I was talking to a rank beginner and a newb.

I usually skip over old threads that have been awoken, but thanks for stirring the hornets Tipi.

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

You can always spot the "holding court" types by the way they never ask any questions from the people around them. They're just not interested. I ran into a guy and his friend on the AT holding court at the Thomas Knob shelter by Mt Rogers and so I threw off my pack to rest and sit and listen. The near nonstop "podium presentation" was starting to get to me as he went on and on about backpacking and trail tips and all else. He spoke with authority and got the nods of approval from his entourage. He finally took a breath and I asked a quick question: "What about winter? Have you ever camped in the snow?", and he said "I don't go out in the winter and no, I've never done snow camping." I knew then, for sure, that I was talking to a rank beginner and a newb.
    I've never camped in the snow. But then we hardly ever get snow. And if we do get it, there is so much ice we can't go anywhere to camp. But I would imagine its a very wet experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Echo View Post
    I've never camped in the snow. But then we hardly ever get snow. And if we do get it, there is so much ice we can't go anywhere to camp. But I would imagine its a very wet experience.
    If its cold enough for snow to stay snow, (like 20 or less), camping in snow is actually pretty dry. Snow just below freezing tends to be a wet snow and is almost as bad as actual rain.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    I usually skip over old threads that have been awoken, but thanks for stirring the hornets Tipi.

My last trip got me so hornet-stung that after a near-steady drip of yellow jacket envenomation I feel I am becoming more hornet-like myself. The near ceaseless applauding for the book has got this hornet stirred.

Has anyone other than Winton ever seen or talked to Billy Bumblefoot?

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

it's like throwing a hot dog into a pit of chihuahuas.
    Ok, I'm pretty sure you owe me a keyboard...

--
    Chilly
    laughingdawg.blogspot.com
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++