WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default National parks might close

If the US government doesnt approve a budget by March 4th there is a possibility that the government will shut down "non essential" services. This happened one time in 1995. National parks were shut down. March 4th is the deadline.

There was a thread that began just like this the other day. It was closed after a discussion turned into an argument full of politics and death threats. Hopefully this one will remain civil.
    ~Happiness is only real when shared~

I think it's pretty much a non-issue, but I guess the USPS could be an issue for mail drops/bounce boxes. Others have said that the parks will post rangers at the entrances of the park to turn back thru-hikers. I'm a little skeptical of that, but I don't know.

I believe Winton Porter uses primarily UPS, so probably won't really affect him too much.

I'm going to have to brush up my ninja skills so I can sneak by these Rangers.
    Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth.
    --Walt Whitman

Occasionally lucid

The OP is not the full story. Three things can happen by March 4: Congress/President can pass/sign a budget, Congress/President can pass/sign a continuing resolution or neither. Only in the last case will the Government shut down (a la 1995).

AFAIK the USPS would not be (immediately) effected by a Government shut down. I believe they would stay in business until they "ran out of money". The USPS operates independently and only relies on budget subsidies to stay in the black.
    GA -> ME
    '86 -> '89

Images

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    I think it's pretty much a non-issue, but I guess the USPS could be an issue for mail drops/bounce boxes. Others have said that the parks will post rangers at the entrances of the park to turn back thru-hikers. I'm a little skeptical of that, but I don't know.

I believe Winton Porter uses primarily UPS, so probably won't really affect him too much.
    Would the USPS be affected by a shut down of the federal government? I ask because as far as I understand the USPS independent establishment of the executive branch.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

The USPS in not an official part of the government. They have a charter from the government to operate the mail system. The USPS is one of two monopolies left by the feds to operate in the country the other is Major League Baseball.

Default Activities during gov't shutdown

During the '95 shutdown in the GSMNP, only cars were restricted. The closed all the roads which had gates. Hiking and cycling were either ignored or permitted. I don't know which. I hiked then and a friend of my rode his bike up in the Greenbriar area.

Quote Originally Posted by colonel r View Post
    During the '95 shutdown in the GSMNP, only cars were restricted. The closed all the roads which had gates. Hiking and cycling were either ignored or permitted. I don't know which. I hiked then and a friend of my rode his bike up in the Greenbriar area.
    Yeah, it would seem to me that if they wanted to try and keep hikers out, they'd have to ADD additional rangers, not furlough them. Doesn't seem very high on the "essential' lost to me.

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Others have said that the parks will post rangers at the entrances of the park to turn back thru-hikers. I'm a little skeptical of that, but I don't know.
    Doesn't make sense to me... If the park is closed why would there be rangers?

What is interesting is that by closing the NPS, the Feds would lose revenue due to losing the money they charge at the entrance gates. My wife and I have been to many national parks in our great country and we have paid to get into most of them if by car.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Quote Originally Posted by LoneRidgeRunner View Post
    Doesn't make sense to me... If the park is closed why would there be rangers?
    Many Federal employees (such as the 12,000 agents of the FBI and the U.S. military) would still have to show up for work the next day after the shut down. I'm not sure if that is true of Park Rangers, but many of them are also cross trained in law enforcement, search-rescue, etc. and would be deemed by the Feds as employees who had to continue working.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

The government wont stop me from hiking where I please. Never has, never will. If they station people at trail heads I will simply bushwhack a mile around them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hikemor View Post
    AFAIK the USPS would not be (immediately) effected by a Government shut down. I believe they would stay in business until they "ran out of money". The USPS operates independently and only relies on budget subsidies to stay in the black.
    I think that's probably correct.

I know the USPS is separate from the U.S. Govt, but not completely. I don't fully understand how it works, but I do know they receive some money from the govt and the rest they raise on their own. However, the GAO does review their financial status. And they are having some real financial problems now and that does cost us tax payers. http://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-09-475T I'm not sure if you can characterize the USPS's financial situation as being in the "black".

As for posting rangers at the AT entrances to various parks, like I said, I'm very skeptical of that, it's just what I've read others as reporting.

So my thoughts are still unchanged:

It's basically a non-issue, postal service would probably be my only concern -- but I would bet on them remaining open.

And also as hikemor said, this is not at all a foregone conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Torch09 View Post
    There was a thread that began just like this the other day. It was closed after a discussion turned into an argument full of politics and death threats. Hopefully this one will remain civil.
    There was some trolling going on there.

Please keep the discussion to how it will affect hikers and/or the AT.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Here's an article from last year talking about doing away with saturday service, but congress wouldn't let them change the "out-dated" law. That's why I'm confused on how this interface between the govt and USPS works http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_1...83-503544.html

Social security administration is already making plans for govt shut down.

I'm hoping the shutdown doesn't happen. I'm going to Florida for the first time in 31 years. I hope to get to the Everglades and Big Cypress and the DeSoto National Memorial. I will be driving, and I really want to see these places. I just want to see my country. If "they" can't get together to make it work and keep the parks open, I'm blaming everybody from George Washington forward.

Grumble, grumble, grumble...

Pringles

The park system is part of what makes this country great. We as a country need to spend more time in our national parks not less. I hope and pray that this gets resolved without affecting the park system.

Quote Originally Posted by colonel r View Post
    They also closed all campgrounds and locked all bathrooms in GSMNP. Not something most tru hikers need.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++