WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Sad, sad hiker news, "Stewball" '00, '09

Such sad news. David "Stewball" Ackely has passed on. Not many details but apparently, he took his own life.

He touched so many lives with his great humor, writings, art and most of all, his loving kindness to the people around him.

He will be missed by so many people in so many ways. I feel honored to have known him.

S
    Sunny aka Sunrise ga-me 02 aka Cody Zamora
    Have a bright and
    Sunny Day!

Images

Unhappy

Did not know that, but so sorry to hear! Condolences, Sunny, to you and his other friends and his family.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

How sad. Condolences for the family.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Did not know that, but so sorry to hear! Condolences, Sunny, to you and his other friends and his family.

Rain Man

Thx RM, will pass it on.
    Have a bright and
    Sunny Day!

I really wish he is not the guy, "Stewball", I met in Maine in 2009. He was a great guy, caring and easy going. And he was voted by me as the one who had the best beards on the trail. We last met at the first camp site out of Stratton, and gave each other good wishes to complete the whole journey. He will be deeply missed by me. A good guy! My condolences to his family.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingUSA View Post
    How sad. Condolences for the family.
    yes, it is sad. Have been touched by suicide many times recently and it makes me wonder what we can do in our daily lives to give each other HOPE to side-step this sad occurrence.

Thx for your thoughts.
    Have a bright and
    Sunny Day!

Quote Originally Posted by Highway Man View Post
    I really wish he is not the guy, "Stewball", I met in Maine in 2009. He was a great guy, caring and easy going. And he was voted by me as the one who had the best beards on the trail. We last met at the first camp site out of Stratton, and gave each other good wishes to complete the whole journey. He will be deeply missed by me. A good guy! My condolences to his family.
    He definitely had the best beard! Thanks for sharing that memory.
    Have a bright and
    Sunny Day!

Images

This is just terrible news. I gave him several rides on his 09 thru-hike and I have good memories of him. My heart is heavy.
    Soli Deo Gloria

I met him in Hiawassee when Morning Glory gave him a ride back to the trail. Great guy. Condolences to his family and friends.

Images

Wow, very sad. Sorry for the loss. I did not get to meet him but all I have heard is good things about the man.

Prayers to friends and family.

So sorry to hear this. My son and I met him in the Whites. He was a really nice person. I enjoyed his Hannah Montana trail wisdom.

Finishing the A.T. was like winning the Super Bowl on my way to the electric chair.
    --David “Stewball” Ackley
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Default Obituary for Stewball

"David A. Ackley, 40, died at his home on February 21, 2011 in Des Moines, Iowa. A Memorial Service celebrating David’s life will be held at 1 p.m. on Saturday, February 26, 2011 at Iles Funeral Homes – Westover Chapel in Des Moines. Burial of the cremated remains will follow at Laurel Hill Cemetery in Des Moines.

David was born July 15, 1970 in Des Moines, the son of Alan and Linda Ackley. He attended Des Moines schools and graduated from East High School in 1988, as class valedictorian. He attended college for two years at Principia College in Elsah, Illinois, before setting out to explore the world. He loved the outdoors and hiked the entire Appalachian Trail on two different occasions; from Maine to Georgia in 1999, and from Georgia to Maine in 2009. He was employed by Consolidated Management Company where he was a Director of Client Development. David will always be remembered for his kindness, generosity, and loving spirit.

David is survived by his father, Alan of Des Moines; brother, Steven (Elizabeth) of Indianapolis, IN; and a host of other family members and beloved friends. He was preceded in death by his mother, Linda.

The family will receive friends from 6 to 8 p.m. on Friday, February 25, at Westover Chapel. Memorial contributions may be made to NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness)."
    Have a bright and
    Sunny Day!

Images

Stewball touched a lot of people. He will be missed.
    His "Hannah Montana Hiking Tip" journal entries were genius and his sense of humor was incredible.
    "Going to the woods is going home" - John Muir

"Only by going alone in silence, without baggage, can one truely get into the heart of the wilderness" - John Muir

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

So sad. Sorry

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

....another wise and lighthearted soul is gone.

geek

May this journey bring you peace.... thank's for the great writting, you sure brighten a lot of those rainy day in 09

Happy trails Stewball

Images

I'm so sorry to hear this. My condolences to the family.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

I did not know him, but I am glad to know that he was able to experience the outdoors and hiking the AT before he moved on. Condolences to his family and friends.
    Seek, and you shall find.

So sad-i remember him as a bright light on the trail.Now he will be a bright star.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++