WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

The freedom of choosing where to throw down your tent or hammock is part of the fun of hiking the AT. I almost never slept in shelters, and would generally prefer (especially towards the end) not even to pitch tent near them. Often enough you find areas that have become established unofficially through frequent use -- it is not hard to see where tents have been laid down and feet have trampled the earth.

But sometimes you will find yourself watching the sunset and sweating a bit about where you're going to sleep, and in these times wandering off the trail a few tens of yards into the woods to find an acceptable spot happens.

There are really only a few places on the entire AT that you are not allowed to camp outside designated areas. The first and most draconian is in the Smokies. Just follow the rules there. The second was in MD, where they want you to camp at designated sites, but as long as you don't plop down along the river outside of Harper's Ferry, no one will really care. NY was the same way - 'designated sites only', but that's not really how it ends up working. You're not allowed to camp in the alpine zone in the Whites (or in Maine), and this is because the alpine vegetation is so fragile and the environment can be dangerous for ill prepared (or even well prepared) individuals. Within the Whites pretty much anywhere else is okay as long as you're not within a quarter mile of a shelter. And finally, nowhere in Baxter State Park (although I saw plenty of great places off the trail you could probably get away with it... not encouraging it, but I considered the possibility). Maybe there are a few other places people can remind me of.

Anywhere else, that is to say the remaining overwhelming bulk of the trail, is fair game. Even in Shenandoah National Park you're allowed to stealth, as long as it's not within sight of roads or whatever (that is their official policy as I recall, and I had to do stealth there on a couple occasions). They couple it to a charge that you try to practice rigorous LNT. Indeed, in SNP it is quite rare to see established flattened earth where people have camped aside from near shelters, but that doesn't mean you can't wander into the tick ridden undergrowth off the trail and find a flat-enough spot to set up.

Basically, camp where you want to, but be responsible and safe about it, except in the alpine and in GSMNP where you really shouldn't screw around.

Garlic
    Images

The AT can be whatever you want it to be. You can be social, or not. You can hitch to many towns, or skip them and have more of a wilderness experience. For much of the trail, it's easy enough to stay out for a week or more at a time, never see more than a few cars at road crossings, pass a few hikers each day, sleep and eat all by yourself if you want to. There are certainly some notable exceptions where civilization encroaches very closely, though.

I was also a little concerned about how "crowded" the AT was going to be after hiking a few long trails in the US West. I ended up appreciating the AT for being so different from other trails I've hiked. I enjoyed the Eastern towns and people as well as the challenging hiking. In short, it was really fun.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Can you dig it?
    Images

this has to be a troll, no way you hike the PCT twice and don't count your luck stars that you don't have to worry about 40 days of rain. Further, most advanced hikers know that the AT has more elevation gain/loss and is not graded for pack stock. Troll I says.

plus this thread is about the 3rd most contentious topic on here (camping in GSMNP) followed right behind #2 guns on the Trail and #1 whatever that Wisconsin hiker dude posted last month.

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Digger'02 View Post
    this has to be a troll, no way you hike the PCT twice and don't count your luck stars that you don't have to worry about 40 days of rain. Further, most advanced hikers know that the AT has more elevation gain/loss and is not graded for pack stock. Troll I says.

plus this thread is about the 3rd most contentious topic on here (camping in GSMNP) followed right behind #2 guns on the Trail and #1 whatever that Wisconsin hiker dude posted last month.
    I agree....and the OP seems to think he's so much more "advanced" than the other WB users, so why would he need or want advice from us "lesser" hikers?
    And what constitutes a "more advanced or challenging trail?"

Serial Hiker
    Images

this has to be a troll,....
    My initial thought as well.
    perrito

684.4 down, 1507.6 to go.

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

Yeah, I've done it many times. A lot of it depends on location. If you're on the trail away from towns & the public, you'll be fine. Government is cutting budgets so much Rangers barely have time to get the work done they have to, much less to go out in search of hikers illegally camped. Just use come sense and respect for the people & environment, and you'll be fine.

If your true personality reflects your online attitude you'll get your wish.

Bingo .
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++