WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

of all the shows out there i like his the best bear was a disaster les makes some good points i remember one episode where he tried and tried to start a fire and never could he should have carried a bic

Registered User Northern Lights's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerChef View Post
    Good point, Tipi. I can't speak to his expertise in wild edibles beyond the training he receives from locals. But I would still like to see an edibles expert go out and survive, maybe with Les or another survivalist, and show how readily accessible food is in the rain forest of the Appalachians.
    I don't think I have ever seen that episode. I know I have seen episodes where he ate cucumber root. And knew what it was. If you research him you will find that he actually lives off the grid with his family. I wouldn't want to be his Survivor Wife if his shows were just for show. He says what research he has done and he tells you when he just doesn't know and it's new to him

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
    I don't think I have ever seen that episode. I know I have seen episodes where he ate cucumber root. And knew what it was. If you research him you will find that he actually lives off the grid with his family. I wouldn't want to be his Survivor Wife if his shows were just for show. He says what research he has done and he tells you when he just doesn't know and it's new to him
    I've always appreciated that about Les. What you got was 100% real, edited to be sure, but no add on support or extra survival tools. I learned more by watching him than watching Bear.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by d.o.c View Post
    thats kinda rude i dont go around callin you out.. im also not on mushrooms. i dont see a spell check option if i did id use it.. ill blame public school here for the spelling.
    OK Hey you are right, to be honest at 11pm I thought it was alcohol, not mushrooms. So yes I apologize.

Spell Check is a app tool that you click on and load into the browser.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

A few years ago, I went to a presentation by Les. It was for chairty (I think), and he came across as a really nice and down to earth guy.

It was 20 bucks for the presentation, and 100 bucks to meet him. I just went to the presentation. (100 dollars is a little steep just to meet someone if you ask me)

At the end of the show, he took questions, I had my hand up but diddn't get called on. I was going to ask him what he thought of Bear Grills.
    Personally, I think Bears show should be called " Look How Manly I Am" lol

You tube has les's "Off the Grid" documentary

http://youtu.be/LXeuvjSBLGc
    "The wind that blows, is all that anybody knows"
    Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    OK Hey you are right, to be honest at 11pm I thought it was alcohol, not mushrooms. So yes I apologize.

Spell Check is a app tool that you click on and load into the browser.
    Three years to reply?

How much bug spray have you inhaled?
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

I don't know how many of you use Reddit, but Les has done two "Ask me Anything" aka AMA's on Reddit's website. It's a pretty good read. And yes, he gives his professional opinion about Bear Grylls, Cody Lundin, and Dave Canterbury.

I remember once when Dave Canterbury simulated an open wound and then used gunpowder to "close" the wound. After that, I said to myself enough of this stupid sh** by wasting my time watching these guys (although I can tolerate Cody, he's okay).
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Remember an episode of Man Woman Wild where Mykel Hawke did surviving a "wildfire"? This is a topic I am very qualified in. I wrote a critique about some very questionable advise he gave, and he ripped me a new one. He started out telling me that I should just be happy he did an episode about the subject, and that the attention would be good even if the actual advise was bad. Then he told me about the people that he had as his SME (subject matter experts), and he totally told me off and called me a bunch of names.

I answered him, and explained my expertise. Then I spoke about specific problems (like building a mud hut to wait out a fire in, bad idea, you will die) We went back and forth, and ended with an agreement to disagree.

I decided then that the issue is that these guys are really knowledgeable on some subjects, but they do shows on such a broad range of subjects that they end up speaking about stuff they really aren't expert on. At the end of the day, it's a tv show, and should be taken for entertainment only.

Not that my opinion matters to anyone but me...
    I think Les is OK in that he does his thing and films it himself. No off camera crew to back him up.

I had to deduct a point when he did his snowmobiling show and revealed that his rescue crew was within radio range. Then he and his entire crew had to be rescued by helicopter. I do credit him for filming and revealing the whole thing.

Bottom line as Myakka_ mentioned...it is a television show and is entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by gof View Post
    Not that my opinion matters to anyone but me...
    I think Les is OK in that he does his thing and films it himself. No off camera crew to back him up.

I had to deduct a point when he did his snowmobiling show and revealed that his rescue crew was within radio range. Then he and his entire crew had to be rescued by helicopter. I do credit him for filming and revealing the whole thing.

Bottom line as Myakka_ mentioned...it is a television show and is entertainment.
    You do have to wonder how much say the lawyers/insurance companies have in how shows are done.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    Les did a 2-part bigfoot special for a Canadian network last month http://lesstroud.ca/news/survivorman-bigfoot and it was shown last night on the Discovery channel; the second part, I believe, will be aired on the 16th (4/16). http://bigfootevidence.blogspot.com/...premieres.html

He's a skeptic, but an intrigued skeptic. He claims to have had two possible encounters of bigfoot.
    Confirmed. The second part of the two-part special will be aired on the 16th

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/tv-schedule.htm

Wednesday April 16

10:00 PM
    60 min.

Survivorman: Bigfoot

Radium Springs

In the second episode of this 2-part special, Les continues his survival in the remote area of Northern Alberta to get as close as he can, if that’s possible, to the legend known as Sasquatch. But Les isn’t easily swayed and needs 100% irrefutable proof.

The Science Channel is airing Survivorman's Bigfoot special (Two part) The first part will air this Friday night (5/2/14) at 2200 (10 pm for you civilians). The second part will be a week later, I believe the following Friday.

http://www.sciencechannel.com/tv-shows/tv-schedule.htm

The ORIGINAL survivalist show - Les Stroud on Survivorman. I like the way he has done it. The real deal doing it in a way without so much TV Hollywood production!

Journal Entries
    Images

You bring up a very interesting idea about the "hollywood" issue... I have never caught Les in anything other being very true to himself and his son. His new series is excellent.

Without going into too much detail, I cannot say the same about the other shows. Dual Survival is FINISHED. I like watching these shows for a "nugget" or two and pick apart the mistakes when I see them. Cody was fired, he could not get along with Joe and they were always fighting off camera. Joe replaced John and he was fired for lame reasons. Then lo and behold the Shi Lanka show and clearly they are staying at motel 6 again because the waterfall they are at is so far inland and has a 1/2 mile trail out to it from the road and is a tourist attraction. Well they got caught again. Allow me to sum it up in one word.

Disappointing.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I've always been divided in my thoughts about Les Stroud, but I still watch the show when I can. I've seen two of the episodes with his son. I'm glad he's come back to it after that stint he did (which flopped, of course) where he went off and lived with "primitive" tribes. I love his first show set and the recent version, but in some ways I still him as a little crazy for his inconsistent use of supplies/equipment he brings with him.

Journal Entries
    Images

I liked the primitive tribes and it did flop. And I would not care if you reached for a Bic lighter or Potassium manganate once in a while. The Father Son idea is sound to encourage young people.

But that Bigfoot thing is a real turd of a show.- He believes in his "encounter" I won't disparage it - just too far fetched to me... if something like that happened to me I would be looking for direct evidence the next morning, and tracking it.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Les... new project is a hit folks like it... Survivorman & Son is neat to watch and the 16 year old has fishing skills that make dad well ..wish he could do better.

Then I find out by accident as I really don't pay attention to the back story of folks in shows that his son has Leukemia and is on his second week of Chemotherapy, based on a facebook page I can barely access. I cannot imagine what the family is going thru... I wish them the best.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    The Science Channel is airing Survivorman's Bigfoot special (Two part) The first part will air this Friday night (5/2/14) at 2200 (10 pm for you civilians). The second part will be a week later, I believe the following Friday.

http://www.sciencechannel.com/tv-shows/tv-schedule.htm
    Les Stroud has gone down the sasquatch rabbit hole. He's producing some episodes for 2015, the first two has already been aired, but can still be viewed http://cryptosightings.com/tag/survivorman-bigfoot-2015

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
    We've already seen part two of the big foot episodes here. I LOVE Les! If he wasn't married I would want to be his surviorwife
    I believe he was married. He got divorced and needed cash. That's why he started filing again. It started with Survivorman and Son then his other shows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++