WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Les Stroud is back

Science Channell Right now, "beyond survival" with indigenous Indians of shi lanka.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Looks like he put on some weight.
    Simple is good.

Images

They had a survivorman marathon on Sunday night I believe it was.

aka Kudzu
    Images

I'm sorry, I like Les but "Beyond Survival" sucks big time. I couldn't get past every episode being about smoking peyote and taking some acid trip to meet my ancestors (or something along those lines just change the natural drug of choice).
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

He should do "Beyond Survival" on the AT.
    I'm guessing either bourbon or weed would be the indiginous drug of choice. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    He should do "Beyond Survival" on the AT.
    I'm guessing either bourbon or weed would be the indiginous drug of choice. :-)
    hed probly have tht and psilocybe cubensis mushrooms or amanita myscaria for the most northern sections ive enjoyd just about all his work didnt care much for the arctic one tho..

Welcome back JAK!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by d.o.c View Post
    hed probly have tht and psilocybe cubensis mushrooms or amanita myscaria for the most northern sections ive enjoyd just about all his work didnt care much for the arctic one tho..
    doc you need spell check or lay off the mushrooms.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JaxHiker View Post
    I'm sorry, I like Les but "Beyond Survival" sucks big time. I couldn't get past every episode being about smoking peyote and taking some acid trip to meet my ancestors (or something along those lines just change the natural drug of choice).
    very fair.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    doc you need spell check or lay off the mushrooms.
    thats kinda rude i dont go around callin you out.. im also not on mushrooms. i dont see a spell check option if i did id use it.. ill blame public school here for the spelling.

Les did a 2-part bigfoot special for a Canadian network last month http://lesstroud.ca/news/survivorman-bigfoot and it was shown last night on the Discovery channel; the second part, I believe, will be aired on the 16th (4/16). http://bigfootevidence.blogspot.com/...premieres.html

He's a skeptic, but an intrigued skeptic. He claims to have had two possible encounters of bigfoot.

Registered User Northern Lights's Avatar
    Images

We've already seen part two of the big foot episodes here. I LOVE Les! If he wasn't married I would want to be his surviorwife

I haven't seen it but it sounds like he may be going Carlos Castaneda on our butts.

And what's the deal with the harmonica?? If he can go into a so-called survival situation with a harmonica, why the heck can't he also bring along a tarp or tent and pad and sleeping bag and food?? It doesn't make sense.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter:1869853
    I haven't seen it but it sounds like he may be going Carlos Castaneda on our butts.

And what's the deal with the harmonica?? If he can go into a so-called survival situation with a harmonica, why the heck can't he also bring along a tarp or tent and pad and sleeping bag and food?? It doesn't make sense.
    Because then it would be called CreatureComfortMan. Besides that harmonica is the titanium model so he saved a couple ounces.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RCBear View Post
    Because then it would be called CreatureComfortMan. Besides that harmonica is the titanium model so he saved a couple ounces.
    If you listen carefully, he's also misses a few notes here and there. Helps save weight
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Registered User Northern Lights's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post

He actually used his harmonica in one episode for fishing gear or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
    He actually used his harmonica in one episode for fishing gear or something like that.
    Yup. Fashioned it into a fishing spearhead while in the Cook Islands. That's the episode where he wasn't ready to go back to civilization since he was having such a good time and eating like a king.

Images

I wish he'd do a survival show in the mountains of the mid-atlantic somewhere somewhat remote during the spring or summer. I've always thought that if you knew a bit about your surroundings you could eat like a king in the woods. Salad greens, berries, fish, large, tasty, furry rodents and other victuals are everywhere if you just know how to look. Course I wouldn't call that surviving

My favorite episode is still the first one where he simulates a plain crash on the side of a frozen lake. I loved it because he actually tried to restrict himself to one arm for a day or so all while filming himself.

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerChef View Post
    I wish he'd do a survival show in the mountains of the mid-atlantic somewhere somewhat remote during the spring or summer. I've always thought that if you knew a bit about your surroundings you could eat like a king in the woods. Salad greens, berries, fish, large, tasty, furry rodents and other victuals are everywhere if you just know how to look. Course I wouldn't call that surviving

My favorite episode is still the first one where he simulates a plain crash on the side of a frozen lake. I loved it because he actually tried to restrict himself to one arm for a day or so all while filming himself.
    I don't know, I saw one episode where he was picking and eating Indian Cucumber Root which he called Indian Root and he wasn't sure what the heck he was eating and didn't really have a clue. Maybe his "ignorance" was staged. Fact is, Indian C. Root is easy to ID and one of the first plants a newbie edible fanatic knows.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I don't know, I saw one episode where he was picking and eating Indian Cucumber Root which he called Indian Root and he wasn't sure what the heck he was eating and didn't really have a clue. Maybe his "ignorance" was staged. Fact is, Indian C. Root is easy to ID and one of the first plants a newbie edible fanatic knows.
    Good point, Tipi. I can't speak to his expertise in wild edibles beyond the training he receives from locals. But I would still like to see an edibles expert go out and survive, maybe with Les or another survivalist, and show how readily accessible food is in the rain forest of the Appalachians.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++