WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hog On Ice View Post
    ummm Hobbler - I hate to rain on your love fest but I disagree that all is good with WB - unfortunately I am not one to commit forum suicide by listing what all is wrong so y'all will just need to guess but let me just give you a hint - don't ever mention the word "inseam" if you want your post to survive.
    So inseam what exactly inseam do you mean inseam by not mentioning "inseam"? Is that some inseam kind of kinky inseam ritual or piece inseam of gear?

Personally, inseam WB has been inseamingly great for my upinseamcoming thru. Lots of inseam tips, inseam techniques and inseam advice on all types of inseam topics. That's why I started inseaming contributing.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    So inseam what exactly inseam do you mean inseam by not mentioning "inseam"? Is that some inseam kind of kinky inseam ritual or piece inseam of gear?

Personally, inseam WB has been inseamingly great for my upinseamcoming thru. Lots of inseam tips, inseam techniques and inseam advice on all types of inseam topics. That's why I started inseaming contributing.
    Thanks Old Hiker...No, I never used the word...At least someone noticed.
    "May Your Feet Be Light and Your Gait Be Long"... Hobbler

Default Practical Backpacking podcasts

Have not tried to sign up for the site, but I have listened to many of the podcasts that were made and I thought they were well done and useful. Good to listen to while taking a long walk with your dog at night.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

I tried to sign into PB before too. I found it rediculous to restrict a Backpacker forum to ones with a real email. Imean come on, Most hikers use a free email because its easeir to keep and to obtain. If you out constantly hiking, say AT, PCT, CDT ect, most likly you will drop a real email to save money for your trips. looks like th guy is selling his self short. If I see a site that askes for a real email,, say, compny or school, I would wonder if he too waas a scammer. Or at least a hacker..Just saying..

Graywolf
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbler View Post
    Thanks Old Hiker...No, I never used the word...At least someone noticed.

Awwwww.... now I have to guess which word(s) you meant!
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    I think its funny when someone gets put in timeout for a while, goes to another sites and bitches about how bad this site is and how horrible a job Mr Gator does, and comes rite back here after their time out period has been served.

Form of addiction I guess.
    I thought we were beotching about Practical Backpacker. I've never been there personally. I do like HHQ. No forums ever locked down there.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

WB is still (IMHO) the best hiking site on the web, however, I do worry about "over-moderation" which has and will lead to more members dropping off the site to join other sites. I have seen it happen before (with the old Trailplace) I hope it does not happen to this great site, which is so very informative and helpful. Overall the mods do a fine job, and I thank them for the hard work!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose2 View Post
    WB is still (IMHO) the best hiking site on the web, however, I do worry about "over-moderation" which has and will lead to more members dropping off the site to join other sites. I have seen it happen before (with the old Trailplace) I hope it does not happen to this great site, which is so very informative and helpful. Overall the mods do a fine job, and I thank them for the hard work!
    I think an over moderated Trail Place died because a less moderated White Blaze was there for people to shift to. As White Blaze moves closer to the old Trailplace style, it will be interesting to watch the changing dynamics, once a competing site gains a significant number of users.

Almost until the last weeks, Wingfoot was confident his users would return. Instead they disappeared in a matter of days.

Like Wingfoot, I find White Blaze loves praise. It can'i stand criticsm -- even from friends.
    Last edited by weary; 02-26-2011 at 16:37.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    I think an over moderated Trail Place died because a less moderated White Blaze was there for people to shift to. As White Blaze moves closer to the old Trailplace style, it will be interesting to watch the changing dynamics, once a competing site gains a significant number of users.

Almost until the last weeks, Wingfoot was confident his users would return. Instead they disappeared in a matter of days.

Like Wingfoot, I find White Blaze loves praise. It can stand criticsm -- even from friends.
    well said ........
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Default "Over-moderating" or flaming?

I would not assume that all those who have left WB, including some who were very active, did so because of "overmoderating." Now sure, some did; I've talked to them or heard so from reliable sources.

But OTOH, I also know of some who left WB because of the incivility and flaming. And it's quite likely that if WB's moderating ended or became noticable looser, we'd see yet more flaming, leading to more people repulsed and checking out.

The fact that more people continue to join WB including newbies & young hikers and continue to receive good info speaks volumes about WB's attraction.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    I would not assume that all those who have left WB, including some who were very active, did so because of "overmoderating." Now sure, some did; I've talked to them or heard so from reliable sources.

But OTOH, I also know of some who left WB because of the incivility and flaming. And it's quite likely that if WB's moderating ended or became noticable looser, we'd see yet more flaming, leading to more people repulsed and checking out.

The fact that more people continue to join WB including newbies & young hikers and continue to receive good info speaks volumes about WB's attraction.
    Moderation can and should control flaming. Much of the moderation I observe has nothing to do with flaming. I sense much of it stems from issues -- issues that moderators (more likely administrators) sense are going against their beliefs, or towards matters they have decided shouldn't be discussed on a trail forum.

Whatever. WhiteBlaze, in my opinion, does a lot of things well. And prohibits or restricts discussion in ways that may prove destructive in the long range to WhiteBlaze.

Images

While I'm certainly not one of the old timers here on WhiteBlaze, I've seen a shift toward stricter moderation . Now,-- more moderation was needed from the time I began lurking almost 5 years ago but it too is a delicate balance that needs to held in check.
    I believe the allure of WB is the knowledge that can be attained from those here with more experience in a forum that we all can share a common love for.

While WhiteBlaze is not perfect--what is ? -- the positives out weigh the negatives
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    ~

So it is with great relief I come back here where life (and membership) is simple and the rules are not so overloaded that one cannot enjoy a forum as well as the trail we love.

You really have it good here, folks. Don't ever complain again. ~
    Blissful, it appears some folks missed the main theme of your opening post.
    Roland

The manager/owner of the PB site is a trip. Once, I made a small suggestion, and the reply was, paraphrased "what would you know about running a forum?" I told him that I administered a site many times the size of his (about 25K at that time - it has 800 online now; there are 200+ on now for WB). He informed me that he could have 25K members, if that were what he wanted. After that, I found my posts either edited or deleted, if he thought they diverged even slightly from his opinions. I decided I didn't have time for childrens' games...

Journal Entries
    Images

Like Wingfoot, I find White Blaze loves praise. It can'i stand criticsm -- even from friends.

Good one Weary, I would be sorry to say I still though I had more fun on WB prior to the three day shut down, but there was alcohol involved.... Now I can't do that and more thought has to go into each post. I have noticed the younger crowd giving up on WB because of some of the moderation. It's not just one person, but several young folk, and moderators. I am thankful for the dog forum though, if it weren't for moderation I would have given up on that forum a long time ago.

Having met the moderator of Trailplace, You could not ask for a nicer person to moderate, Its just a different style and a smaller group, I am not sure it died, it appears to have the same activity.
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 02-27-2011 at 15:08.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    ... I have noticed the younger crowd giving up on WB because of some of the moderation. It's not just one person, but several young folk, and moderators. .....
    And how do you know these folks' leaving was "because of the moderation?" Have you talked to them or e-mailed them?

Well as I said earlier, I have talked to a fair amount of people and believe me, there are those who left WB not because of "moderation" at all but because of what they believe is rudeness and disrespect that they see on the forums, especially from some individuals who most certainly are not mods.

Journal Entries
    Images

well cooker hiker, I run into them on other sites or my "freinds" list goes down and its a little of everthing like you said.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

If I agree will it be erased?
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

From Weary:

Like Wingfoot, I find White Blaze loves praise. It can't stand criticsm -- even from friends.

...........................................Like many of its members?
    It's just human to want to be loved.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++