WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

though the Creeper is beautiful, it is so flat & hard packed, it kills my feet & my back, I've hiked the last 10+ miles in a few times. That's just me. I would suggest grabbing a bike out of Damascus at the many bike rentals & riding up the creeper for a day! To each their own!! Have a Blast!
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Journal Entries
    Images

Sorry Chin music I didn't read you post about the biking but hey, Great minds think Alike : o )

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

I'll be doing this section starting this coming Sunday from Wise Shelter to Damascus. Looking forward to it.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    I'll be doing this section starting this coming Sunday from Wise Shelter to Damascus. Looking forward to it.
    There is a VERY nice site to camp just north (~1/8 of a mile) of Wise if you wish to camp instead of sheltering. It's just accoss a small creek up on top of a small hill......beautiful.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    There is a VERY nice site to camp just north (~1/8 of a mile) of Wise if you wish to camp instead of sheltering. It's just accoss a small creek up on top of a small hill......beautiful.
    Stayed there this past Friday. Hiked in at night under the full moon from Massie gap. The shelter was full and there were about 8 tents around it (elegally) and about 10 tents and a couple hammocks at the site. All the water sources were flowing strong.

Quote Originally Posted by dhock83 View Post
    I am thinking of hiking from Grayson Highlands State Park to Damascus Va. in the end of March. I figured it to be about 33 miles but am not sure of what the climbs will be like going sobo. I also plan of haning in my hammock and was wondering what camping was like between shelters. I am planning on cold nights and rain but if anyone has any tips of weather it would be greatly appreciated. I am not sure yet if I want to take three or four days to do this strech since I will be with two other novice hikers.
    Thanks for any tips or hints.

I did this in 2009, but we started at Dickey Gap which is 50 miles from Damascus and we did the 50 miles in 3.5 days. I would recommend considering this if you think you can do it.

Our campsites were Old Orchard the first night, White top Mtn the second (long day and rain after lunch) and Thomas Knob the 3rd.

Highlights were Blueberries on Pine Mtn. Ponies and views at Rhododendron Gap and the view from Buzzard Rock after White top mtn. We took the Creeper trail into town.

The water at Thomas Knob was almost non-existent when we were there.

Argggh messed up my post. Last night was Saunders Shelter .

Default water

Just an FYI- the water at Thomas Knob is flowing fine as of last week.
    schnikel

Quote Originally Posted by TexasEd View Post
    The water at Thomas Knob was almost non-existent when we were there.
    That's the one where you have to hike behind the shelter to a fenced-in area? The idea being the water coming out of the fenced-in area is void of pony void.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    That's the one where you have to hike behind the shelter to a fenced-in area? The idea being the water coming out of the fenced-in area is void of pony void.

If by pony void you mean pony poo then yes.

We went down to the fenced area (Aug 09) and it was basically a stagnant puddle. While we were deciding what to do a big rain cloud blew over the mountain and completely fogged us out. We went back to the shelter; which has a new corrugated steel roof and put out bottles on the picnic table and caught rain water.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasEd View Post
    If by pony void you mean pony poo then yes.

We went down to the fenced area (Aug 09) and it was basically a stagnant puddle. While we were deciding what to do a big rain cloud blew over the mountain and completely fogged us out. We went back to the shelter; which has a new corrugated steel roof and put out bottles on the picnic table and caught rain water.
    I left my water bottle on that picnic table last May. Luckily I didn't have to use my "back up bottle" when a group of bird watchers gave me a bottle of water at the next road crossing (SOBO). They heard me talking to my buddy about the next water source and offered us water. An accidental Yogi.
    Last edited by ChinMusic; 03-23-2011 at 17:21.

Images

I'm doing the section from fox creek(603) to Damascus from 4/28 to 5/1. thanks LW for the suggested starting point. hope to see some of you on the trail.

Doc Mike

Quote Originally Posted by dhock83 View Post
    I am thinking of hiking from Grayson Highlands State Park to Damascus Va. in the end of March. I figured it to be about 33 miles but am not sure of what the climbs will be like going sobo. I also plan of haning in my hammock and was wondering what camping was like between shelters. I am planning on cold nights and rain but if anyone has any tips of weather it would be greatly appreciated. I am not sure yet if I want to take three or four days to do this strech since I will be with two other novice hikers.
    Thanks for any tips or hints.
    I'm responding to an old post, but I am getting ready to do this same hike with a few friends. I also figure this will be about 33 miles from Grayson to Damascus, but I'm not sure which entry point or trailhead I should start on. Since I will be travelling with some beginners, I really want to keep this hike to no more than 33 miles in 3 days time, which may be a tall order anyway. Does anyone have any advice on where to start exactly? Looks like water is not a problem on this route.

Thanks!

Journal Entries
    Images

Massie Gap - PM Loan Wolf & he can arrange a shuttle out of Damascus

Journal Entries
    Images

or Lone Wolf

& A BIG WELCOME to WB

If you start at the backpacker's trailhead in Grayson highlands, you hike up a .8 mile spur trail to meet the AT, i think. Then head south to damascus. It's a great hike with great views! Never had to use a shuttle in that area but never heard anything thing bad about LW!
    Schnikel

Wow thanks all, this is great info!

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    or Lone Wolf

& A BIG WELCOME to WB
    Cool, thank you!

I have been looking at the map and it also seems a good place to start is Wise Shelter to get in 33 miles proper to Damascus. If I start there, it would be nice to go past Thomas Knob and camp somewhere around Elk Garden? Is that doable and/or recommended? I am going to have a couple of people with me that may struggle with anything larger than 12 miles a day, so I'm trying to break this hike up into two nights of camping and three days hiking. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by cnikirk View Post
    I have been looking at the map and it also seems a good place to start is Wise Shelter to get in 33 miles proper to Damascus. If I start there, it would be nice to go past Thomas Knob and camp somewhere around Elk Garden? Is that doable and/or recommended? I am going to have a couple of people with me that may struggle with anything larger than 12 miles a day, so I'm trying to break this hike up into two nights of camping and three days hiking. Thanks.
    good plan. there's good camping just in the woods beyond the parking lot at elk garden

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++