WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Default Grayson Highlands to Damascus Va.

I am thinking of hiking from Grayson Highlands State Park to Damascus Va. in the end of March. I figured it to be about 33 miles but am not sure of what the climbs will be like going sobo. I also plan of haning in my hammock and was wondering what camping was like between shelters. I am planning on cold nights and rain but if anyone has any tips of weather it would be greatly appreciated. I am not sure yet if I want to take three or four days to do this strech since I will be with two other novice hikers.
    Thanks for any tips or hints.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dhock83 View Post
    I am thinking of hiking from Grayson Highlands State Park to Damascus Va. in the end of March. I figured it to be about 33 miles but am not sure of what the climbs will be like going sobo. I also plan of haning in my hammock and was wondering what camping was like between shelters. I am planning on cold nights and rain but if anyone has any tips of weather it would be greatly appreciated. I am not sure yet if I want to take three or four days to do this strech since I will be with two other novice hikers.
    Thanks for any tips or hints.
    Ok I may aslo be extending the trip by starting at Fox Creek.

Images

Default I like this thread

I think sobo, may be easier than nobo, but I'm sure others with more experince will chime in on this. Even so, it looks as though you have a few decent climbs in there, so don't under estimate that section. I would take a minimum of four days if you have inexperienced hikers with you. The weather can turn nasty up there, even in late march. Camping shouldn't be a problem, and if the weather is good, you'll be hiking through a little slice of heaven. Just be prepared.

p.s. I'll be hiking this section sobo in May, so I am curious to see what others have to say.

I did that section northbound in October. You're in for a treat--it's really something to see. You should have an easier hike southbound; there's a whole lot of uphill northbound.

10 years ago, I and 3 other family members did the excact hike that you are talking about doing the first week in April. The forecast looked good so we prepared for moderate weather conditions. Woke up the next morning inside the (Thomas Knob) shelter, covered in snow (including those in the loft), 8 degree weather, without the chill factor, howling winds, horizontal snow and limited visibility. Like idiots we continued on to Damascus, over Whitetop in blizzard conditions. It was freezing cold, horribly wet and miserable but......the best damn experience ever! We all lost our trail virginity that trip (ooohhhh Baby!) and it's an amazing place to hike. But as previously stated, conditions can change unexpectedly and quickly so be prepared. And defenitely plan for 4 days. Any less for a group with some novice hikers would be rushing it and not fun.
    Good luck and kiss the ponies for me!

Images

Awesome section. Well graded climbs. Plenty of places to hang along the way -- I'd especially recommend hanging along the creek under the Hassinger bridge.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Great section some ups and downs add at least one extra day if leaving from fox creek. And if you have not that section add it. I left my car at Mount Rogers Outfitters and used there shuttle service to get to my starting point. Cost around $30.00 .There are some good hammock areas on this section too.Weather can change up there at any time I had 14 inches of snow in the first week of April and had 80 degree days in march too.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frog View Post
    Great section some ups and downs add at least one extra day if leaving from fox creek. And if you have not that section add it. I left my car at Mount Rogers Outfitters and used there shuttle service to get to my starting point. Cost around $30.00 .There are some good hammock areas on this section too.Weather can change up there at any time I had 14 inches of snow in the first week of April and had 80 degree days in march too.
    +1

Definately extend it to Fox Creek, even if you get in late on the 1st day, Old Orchard isn't far from there & there should be plenty of place to hang. Many, many cool campsites all along this section. The views are so amazing if you have good weather you won't even notice the climbs. The climb up the Saunders SOBO is a bear!! I suggest rewarding yourself the next day by hitting the Cafe @ 1/2 mile off the trail in Taylors Valley for a real meal & and Ice Cream

Enjoy!
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Novices should be able to do this in 3 days no problem. I did this section Sobo during my Nobo thru. Family came to visit during trail days and we took a 2 night trip with them, ended up being back in town for lunch on the 3rd day. Absolutely beautiful section, pretty easy going, but challenging enough for folks out of backpacking shape.

4 days for 33 miles???

I'm not bragging but I did the 75 miles from Atkins to Damascus SOBO in 3 days. Very easy section to hike. I also took a hammock and spent one night about a mile or so past the side trail to the summit of Mt Rogers. Plenty of spots to stealth hammock and I wanted to make sure I was out of the pony zone.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

I did the section (northbound) in 3 1/2 days (late Thursday afternoon through Sunday noon) at a relatively leisurely pace. Started at dawn on Friday and Saturday and hiked through very early afternoon. Stopped at the hiker parking lot in Grayson Highlands, didn't go through to Fox Creek.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fredmugs View Post

I'm not bragging but I did the 75 miles from Atkins to Damascus SOBO in 3 days. Very easy section to hike.
    You're not bragging, but you are doing at least TWICE the average daily mileage of a section hiker.

Four days to hike from Fox Creek to Damascus is a pretty good average for less experienced hikers, or those who aren't in thru-hiking shape.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by Rick500 View Post
    I did the section (northbound) in 3 1/2 days (late Thursday afternoon through Sunday noon) at a relatively leisurely pace. Started at dawn on Friday and Saturday and hiked through very early afternoon. Stopped at the hiker parking lot in Grayson Highlands, didn't go through to Fox Creek.
    Er...incorrect math...about 3 days actually.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

SOBO is easier, imo. Hope you're used to cold weather hanging, it can get cold there (esp the new hikers you are with also). And with two novice hikers, take your time and enjoy it.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    You're not bragging, but you are doing at least TWICE the average daily mileage of a section hiker.

Four days to hike from Fox Creek to Damascus is a pretty good average for less experienced hikers, or those who aren't in thru-hiking shape.
    Now that I think about it I guess 12 miles is probably about the average for a section hiker. When I started hiking the AT a 15 mile day was pretty tough on me. Then I blew out my knee hiking in Maine. I started riding an exercise bike for rehab and kept getting stronger and stronger and stronger. I now have zero knee pain and can knock out 20 or more miles from day one. My pace never hits 3 mph - I just keep going and only take one break longer than 10 minutes all day. No rush - just don't like standing still.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Going SOBO, I'd suggest that you stop on the ridges about 1/4 mile before Thomas Knob shelter. Views are incredible and plenty of places to hang with views from the hammock.

S

Backing Back into Backpacking
    Images

Great section be prepared for anything weather wise. It changes on a dime in that area. enjoy the hike!
    The key to success in achieving a goal is focusing not on how far you have to go, but rather how far you have come.

“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” Phil 4:13

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ashman View Post
    Great section be prepared for anything weather wise. It changes on a dime in that area. enjoy the hike!
    +1 about the weather! My wife I were hiking Fox Creek to Elk Garden a few years ago on 4th of July weekend. Day 1 & 2 = picture perfect high 70's all the way along the Crest trail (Day1), to Wise (Day 2) but on Day 3 totally different story! foggy & breezy all day with severe temp drops! by the time we climbed out of Massie gap, I knew about Fatman's Squeeze from a previous trip & I knew I had to get my wife warmed up & that is the only place to getout of the weather up there, I made her hot chocolate & Ramen & stayed @ 30 minutes. Being the trooper she is she said let's get to the shelter, we trudged through worsening conditions all the way to Thomas Knob. We got there in the early afternoon & throughout the day many many hikers came in & one was so hypothermic, that he stripped down & got in 2 sleeping bags for several hours b4 he recovered. Neat area but always remember "The Mountains Create their own weather" especially in those exposed tops of the highest mountain in VA. FYI- I'm a section Hiker & hike from Fox Creek to Damascus in 4 days, after Daylight savings

Have a Smashing Good Hike!
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

This side of the dirt
    Images

I have planned to hike from Mount Rogers back to Damascus the week of 4/18. I have hiked this section twice n/b.

The last time was 4/9/09 on my attempted thru hike. It snowed the day prior.

This is my trail journals for that trip

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=267025

From Partnership Shelter to Damascus is 63 miles based on the 2009 guide book I used. I am figuring taking about 5 1/2 days to hike this at a leisurely pace. This will be my first multi-day hike since getting off the trail in 09 with a foot injury.

When you get to Dickey Gap it is a short hitch into Troutdale - there is a hostel there and also Jerry's. If you go to Jerry's, if he can, he will shuttle you back to Dickey Gap.

The profile generally is an easier one going SOBO as compared to going NOBO

The cost of the shuttle from Damascus to Mount Rogers is $60.00 for one person. The parking fee to leave a vehicle at the outfitters is $2.00/day but that also gives you a free shower

Good luck on your hike
    "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed, is more important than any other one thing." Abraham Lincoln (1855)

This side of the dirt
    Images

# DAY START--------------------- END ------------------------------- DAILY

1 Partnership Shelter --------->Trimpi Shelter -----------------> 10.60 miles

2 Trimpi Shelter ---------------> Hurricane Mtn Shelter --------> 9.10

3 Hurricane Mtn Shelter -----> Wise Shelter -------------------> 10.90

4 Wise Shelter -----------------> White Top Mtn Camp --------> 11.80

5 White Top Mtn -------------> Camp Saunders Shelter -------> 11.90

6 Saunders Shelter -----------> Damascus -------------------------> 9.40

Total 63.70

This is my planned days/ mileage for this trip. This is based on my 2009 Appalachian Pages guide book
    "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed, is more important than any other one thing." Abraham Lincoln (1855)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++