WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Stove questions

Habitual Hiker
    Journal Entries

Default Stove questions

I have a couple different stoves The Msr Dragonfly >Need to order new pump

an alcohol stove which I don't like to use in the winter

a no name full size burner that hooks up to the full size gas canisters. The gas canisters go for 5 bucks at walmart of two of them they are about 9 inces with a 6 inch circumference.

my question is this. Should I pick up the pocket rocket and ust the little gas canisters or will these extra large canisters be available on the trail also? Also I am worried what the little gas canisters will run out super fast I have never used one. I am thiking I would shed close to a pound switching to the msr I am not sure if its worth it though?
    Still Going.... Cancer survivor of 13 years!!!!!!!

Journal Entries
    Images

Pocket Rocket and Mangold Mamba has you covered. Consider a woodstove, too.
    "Keep moving: death is very, very still."
    ---Lily Wagner (nee Hennessy)

Pocket rocket is a great choice. I have used it for all my backpacking til now, I just recently decided to try an alky stove for my thru. The fuel canisters last! There are two sizes of those fuel canisters for the pocket rocket. Small one will last a week about and the bigger one lasts about two weeks. Rest assured they don't run out super fast like u might think.
    "Bravo" NoBo 3/20/11
    Trail Journal @ HikersCircle.com

aka Kudzu
    Images

I love my Snow Peak LiteMax.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

The pocket rocket is a nice little stove. No worries finding canisters along the way. Many thru's end up swapping out half-empties left in all the hiker boxes all the way to Katahdin.

But, I think you'll be tempted switching over to your alchy stove since it's by far the most popular on the trail. Put it in your bounce box just in case you have an epiphany.

Good luck.

Images

Large cylinders are pure high pressure propane and are very heavy even when empty. So they are only available where car campers frequent.

I gave up on white gas in 2008. It is useful for extended periods below 20F or parties of 4 or more. Otherwise, there is a weight, convenience, and availability penalty.

Pocket Rocket is very old technology, but still popular. I would consider a newer, lighter version. I use the Soto.

Alcohol is the smart choice, but I'm happer stupid. I'm looking forward to being very stupid and giving up the stove altogether.

++ New Posts ++