WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default NJ - Any Parking at Brink Rd (Beavans Rd)

NJ - Just south of 206 near Culvers Gap.

Where the AT crosses Beavans Rd by Brink Road Shelter?

Looking to do a dayhike section of about 15 miles with Camp Mohican being the Southern most point (start or finish)

Don't much care if we're hiking NOBO or SOBO.

The apps I have plugged into google earth show parking @ Culvers, but none @ Beavans Road.

Mohican to Culvers is 20 miles and that might be a bit long for the trail conditions and shortened days, so I thought Brink would work.......

Any parking?

Thanks,

jd
    YOURSELF Find, Know, Be

click HERE to become rich!

Images

Check this page for parking in that part of NJ

Images

Quote Originally Posted by LIhikers View Post
    Check this page for parking in that part of NJ
    Thank you very much, great help.

jd
    YOURSELF Find, Know, Be

Images

JD - I have parked on Brinks road a few times on both the East side and the West side of the Trail,though I haven't been back on that section in about 4 years. Here is what I can tell you...
    Off Co rd 521 (east side of AT), Brinks road is nothing more than an old washed out dirt/rock trail. You cannot really park on it as it now appears to be private property, but you can park on the edge of it right by 521, on the shoulder of the road. I have done it a couple of times and even hid my mountain bike in the woods once to ride back to my truck.
    On the west side of the AT, you will need to navigate to Walpack Center - a very cool tiny old town in one of the least populated areas of NJ. In fact there used to be a little NPS office there (Pretty sure it was National Park Service) Anyway, follow the old macadam road out of Walpack and over a very old dilapidated bridge staying straight past the cemetery on Tillman road. (if you are planning to go by car, stop here. as you might as well go back to 521.) It gets very dicey from here on in. If you don;t have 4wheel higher clearance you might need to just bag it at dimon road (Nice old dirt road), otherwise you can try going a little farther - I recall a parking lot about 1/2 mile up Tillman past dimon, near a sharp curve, but I ended up turning back due to the boulders, ruts and such in the old roadway.
    either way, good luck... Just driving Or biking around the old NJ roads on the W side of the At between DWG and Culvers Gap is a pretty cool thing to do.
    From the
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Images

I appreciate the detailed info.
    It seems like attempting to park at or near Brink Rd. (close to the AT) may be an adventure in itself.

We are heading up there for another sectional dayhike tomorrow and will probably park further South a bit in order to somewhat pick up where we left off on a previous outing.

When I posted the original question i was hoping to be able to cover more mileage on a dayhike but after seeing the snowy conditions I'm rethinking the situation.
    Last time out one of the guys I was with got his feet pretty "beat up" because of improper footwear due to the conditions.

He's even less experienced than I, and will be going out again tomorrow.
    I want to give him a chance to figure it all out on his own, with a little coaching from myself when sought......

I don't want to plan too many miles, spoiling the experience for him, and souring what could be the beginning of a long term "hiking buddy friendship".

Thanks again for the help though, It'll likely come in handy in the future.

jd
    YOURSELF Find, Know, Be

Images

That 4 mile section from Brinks to rte 206 can be pretty rocky in spots, howver, based on teh hills here by windgap, we have little snow left along with bits of ice in shaded pockets and valley. The more difficult terrain will be the icey spots that surround shaded sides of boulders - can be very slippery at spots.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Toolshed View Post
    That 4 mile section from Brinks to rte 206 can be pretty rocky in spots, howver, based on teh hills here by windgap, we have little snow left along with bits of ice in shaded pockets and valley. The more difficult terrain will be the icey spots that surround shaded sides of boulders - can be very slippery at spots.
    Thanks for the info and trail update, we'll be heading out in a few minutes to take a little stroll...... I'll post a report later.

jd
    YOURSELF Find, Know, Be

Images

Default Trip Report

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...66#post1123066

Posted up a trip report in the appropriate forum, got a link to a slideshow there.

jd
    YOURSELF Find, Know, Be

Hi Jersey Dave,
    You seem to be really familiar with the area so I hope you have a moment to offer me some advice! I want to camp at Mohican Outdoor Camp and plan to grab a ride somewhere north early on a saturday morning and then hike back down to the camp site. I'm trying to find an appropriate place to be dropped off. You mention Brink Rd a lot and so do others, but according to google maps it only looks like it's 2-3 miles from Mohican camp. Is that correct?

If so, I was considering going up to Bevins road (off of 521), google maps says it's 13 miles.

I'm still waiting on my trail maps and guides to come in the mail, do you know if google maps is a reliable source for me to be looking at right now?

thank you!

Rachael - There are several Brink Roads in NW NJ (old settler family name I think). The Brink Road which intersects the A.T. in Stokes State Forest and Bevans Roads are actually the same unmaintained dirt road, and are 14+ mile north of Mohican. It seems to be called Bevans Road east of the A.T. and Brink Road west of it. I was there a few days ago - unless you're in a high clearance vehicle, the Brink side is very washed out and only drivable for a bit after it leaves Dimon Road, which is paved. The Bevans side is very hard to spot (and isn't drivable) - no signage and it basically looks like a driveway. It's between two private residences, and almost no parking. That being said, if you do find it, it's a short walk up to the A.T.

Another west side approach a little south of Brink Road is to find the bottom of the Buttermilk Falls Trail in the DWGNRA and hike up (and I do mean up) to the A.T. It's a little tricky to find, but not too bad with a good map.

FYI, Blue Mountain Lakes Road, a common approach from the west side of the ridge 7.3 miles north of Mohican, is closed due to damage from last fall's storms. You can get to the A.T. there from the east side of the ridge by navigating to the road into the Fairview Lakes YMCA in Stillwater, going to the end where it's gated at the DWGNRA boundary and hiking up to the A.T. Not sure if there's any parking there, but I don't think so.

Hope this helps.

Bob S
    ATC

Another option would be cr602{millbrook/blairstown rd}.Blairstown is accessible on Rt94.If you want to shuttle,check on the Atc website.This is my favorite section. If you finish at Rt206 ,have abeer at Gyp's tavern!

Images

Racheal, replied to your private message but the info above looks good to me.
    Hope the links were helpful.

jd
    YOURSELF Find, Know, Be

Images

Rachael,
    What hike did you end up doing and how'd it go?
    YOURSELF Find, Know, Be

++ New Posts ++