WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Lubricating joints - Jello anyone.....

I am just putting it out there, one can make concentrated jello add fruit following the jigglers and ice method. and fill the glad containers for a great desert. far more concentrated than the minicups they would hold up in warm temps.

So for you 50 +youngsters, have you tried this daily for lubricating joints? What are your thoughts?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I walk 6-10 miles 5 times a week and I usually have stiff knees when I get up in the mornings. 10-12 miles with a pack will also render my knees stiff. I've never tried eating enough gelatins to test the effect on my joints but it might be worth a try.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

You can serve Jello hot instead - as a night time drink. Climbers used to do that. I can't consume the stuff due to the ramped use of of artificial coloring/flavoring but hey, it isn't bad tasting!
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

I put a tablespoon of Sure Jell fruit pectin in my tea daily. It seems to work better that glucosamine or chondroitin ever did, and yes, I have arthritic knees.

I second hot jello as a drink. It was my substitute for coffee/tea when I was carrying my oldest. As a possible side-effect, he was born with a full head of hair.

Sarbar, have you tried doctoring up plain gelatin with maybe some true lemon or true orange and a sweetener of choice?

You can also add plain gelatin to hot cocoa. It will change the mouth-feel a little (depending on how much you use), but it's still good.

I'm going to try this again. I'm not 50+, but I've had issues with my knees/back from time to time. And glucosomine seems to be a problem for me.

-FA

Images

I usually lubricate my joints with Jello SHOTS.
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. - Steven Wright

Yeah, I use the plain gelatin often in cooking - you can make nifty desserts that don't scream "Jello!" with it I make one that is a latte dessert...yum!

You can definitely gussy it up. And now you have me thinking! Something to work on - I have a bunch of packets of it lying around - and plain gelatin is a good source of protein as well.
    Trail Cooking

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sarbar View Post
    You can serve Jello hot instead - as a night time drink. Climbers used to do that. I can't consume the stuff due to the ramped use of of artificial coloring/flavoring but hey, it isn't bad tasting!
    LOL...Drank it for years - Winter Climbing - Jack and Jello. Yukon Jack that is and Cherry jello.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

yellow jello mellows fellows hellos by stopping pain and putting them in a better mood. is this what your saying woo?
    matthewski

limes the only one for me.allways been that way. met young. fell in love. end of story. never cheated. neve even looked at another.
    matthewski

Yeah, I use the plain gelatin often in cooking - you can make nifty desserts that don't scream "Jello!" with it I make one that is a latte dessert...yum!

Would you consider sharing the latte dessert recipe?

Quote Originally Posted by Farr Away View Post
    Would you consider sharing the latte dessert recipe?
    It is odd sounding but good tasting!
    http://gazingin.com/2009/05/20/mocha-pudding/
    Trail Cooking

http://gazingin.com/2009/01/09/doubl...latte-dessert/
    That was the original version of it I made as well.
    Trail Cooking

It is odd sounding but good tasting!
    http://gazingin.com/2009/05/20/mocha-pudding/
    http://gazingin.com/2009/01/09/doubl...latte-dessert/
    That was the original version of it I made as well.
    Thank you! The recipes do look good (easy, fast, healthy). What's not to like?

-FA

I was going through a period I need to make more of those desserts - they are oddly good - they have a heartiness that Jello doesn't have!
    Trail Cooking

Journal Entries
    Images

I came up with this idea to suspend frozen fruit in a solid for keeping it on the trail, i had no idea you folks really get into this, jello tea? wow.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

You can actually get vegan "gelatin" made usually of Agar Agar that sets up without refrigeration. Not bad overall....but it doesn't have the side effects you might want
    Trail Cooking

At one time gelatin was thought to be a wonder hiking food. Protein, arthritis treatment, help in keeping fingernails from cracking, knee lubricant.

Turns out gelatin's protein is poorly utilized in the body, studies showed no effect on arthritis or nail strengthening. Some studies have shown a mild knee lubricant effect, others no effect at all. Still, a hot jello hits the spot every once in awhile.

You can actually get vegan "gelatin" made usually of Agar Agar that sets up without refrigeration. Not bad overall....but it doesn't have the side effects you might want
    I use Agar Agar to make a jell to "water" crickets I raise to feed my box turtles. According to the label it contains 0 calories, and 0 fat and 0 protein.
    I guess powdered seaweed doesn't have much to offer LOL
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by Wil View Post
    At one time gelatin was thought to be a wonder hiking food. Protein, arthritis treatment, help in keeping fingernails from cracking, knee lubricant.

Turns out gelatin's protein is poorly utilized in the body, studies showed no effect on arthritis or nail strengthening. Some studies have shown a mild knee lubricant effect, others no effect at all. Still, a hot jello hits the spot every once in awhile.
    Do you have a link to the studies you mention? After WOO posed the question in the OP I have started my own test on gelatin (knox) and would be interested in reading the studies.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++