WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default First time hiking the trail, would like travel companion

I am planning to start hiking the trail in March. I currently live in Atlanta so I'd be starting at the Georgia trailhead and working my way north. I have never hiked the trail before and have relatively no experience hiking. Granted, I might not last the entire length of the trail, but I have no job and no school to worry about, only free time to enjoy the trail and good company of my fellow travelers.

I was hoping to find a fellow hiker, perferrably a more experienced hiker, who would be willing to accompany me on my journey. I have all of the gear neccessary and the drive to make it. Please feel free to contact me and we can discuss where to meet or perhaps you could give me some advice as to how to complete the trail with no experience.

Images

There will be many hikers on the trail - guaranteed! You will in no way be alone. Stop by the shelters and live and learn together. It's all apart of the trail experience.

Images

have you headed out yet?

I will be heading out in early March, possibly around the 12th or so. I don't have any hiking experience. Thank you for the helpful tips so far.

Images

look up zombiegrad, she is your age and also new, you might enjoy hiking together.

Stir Fry

Read as many of the articales you can on WB. Around the 12th of March ther will be between 5-15 hikers a day starting you will find some one quick. Get a shack down at Neels Gap. Start slow and you will be fine.

If you want a good place to test out your legs prior to your hike, East Palisades is a great place to do it. I live in Atlanta and would be more than happy to show you the East Palisades trail system if you're interested.. although you would only have a few chances to really get a burn going and recover before you leave.. It's nothing ridiculous but there are some super steep side trails and you can hike the loops as many times as you can take in order to get a feel for hiking.. It will be nothing compared to further up north though. PM if interested..

Quote Originally Posted by GabrielWade View Post
    I am planning to start hiking the trail in March. I currently live in Atlanta so I'd be starting at the Georgia trailhead and working my way north. I have never hiked the trail before and have relatively no experience hiking. Granted, I might not last the entire length of the trail, but I have no job and no school to worry about, only free time to enjoy the trail and good company of my fellow travelers.

I was hoping to find a fellow hiker, perferrably a more experienced hiker, who would be willing to accompany me on my journey. I have all of the gear neccessary and the drive to make it. Please feel free to contact me and we can discuss where to meet or perhaps you could give me some advice as to how to complete the trail with no experience.
    "only free time to enjoy the trail and good company of my fellow travelers"

Therein lies the key to success....."Enjoy the journey"...sounds so simple but you'll be surprised at how constant is the chatter ( especially from those your age) to "make miles" and the goals that are set ...around doing so many miles a day. Do not be influenced by that..but rather hike your own hike ...there will be plenty of folks at the shelters at night to share cameraderie.

Start slow and listen to what your body is telling you. Even though the adrenalin is pumping to get started...only do 5 to 10 miles that first day. Shelters are spread out about every 7 miles on the first sections of the A.T. ...and there are other good camping sites in between

If you have new shoes...Break them in first ...unbroken in shoes will cause blisters ...and blisters are the #1 cause of ending a hike early. If you feel a "hot spot" forming deal with it immediately ...even if it means stopping on the trail and tending to it. The idea is to have it callous over rather than blister. I use moleskin or a bandaid then cover it with duct tape.

Keep your pack light (25 - 30 lbs.) if you can. The rule of thumb regarding pack weight is ...."the lighter your pack the more you'll enjoy hiking....the heavier your pack, the more you'll enjoy camping". The ideal weight is different for each hiker.

A couple days food is all I carry especially at this time of year. There is always someone trying to lighten their load by giving away food or leaving it at the shelters. Also, trail angels and trail magic are more and more prevalent especially at road crossings (main hwys as well as FS roads).

Once again ....enjoy the journey...it is a "once in a lifetime experience"... the mountain vistas , sunrises and sunsets are breathtaking, the air is clean, the water pure(and filtered), the wildlife is plentiful and the foliage and flowers lovely. And the other hikers are for the most part, friendly helpful and wonderful. Be sure and carry a good digital camera.

Enjoy your trek through this pristine wilderness.

Images

let me know when your in the mass area and id hike some with you. maybe a week or two

++ New Posts ++