WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

When it's cold I wish it was hot and when it's hot I wish it was cold.
    Last edited by 10-K; 02-28-2011 at 14:35.

We think alike Only John... Saturday I got on at Neel and went to Jarrard Gap and back... Leavin' 2mrow from Woody to Slaughter then doin' the Duncan Ridge Trail then back to Neel Gap...

Images

its good to live.

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyJohn View Post
    I had a few hours Saturday afternoon to kill so I decided to walk about for a while. I got on the trail at Woody Gap and walked the 3.5 miles west to Gooch Gap and then back to Woody Gap. Friends, it was a great day to be alive and in the woods. The sun was out, the air was warm and spring is just around the corner here in Georgia. I am setting up my vacation plans this morning.

Only John
    Ahhhh the good life, congrats on a great day of enjoying yourself and your hike!
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    it's good to live no matter where it is. 2 years ago today i almost bought the farm so i'm just happy to be breathing
    And were happy you made it through LW!!!
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Images

Default Primus

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    When it's cold I wish it was hot and when it's hot I wish it was cold.
    Ain't it the truth...

Quote Originally Posted by JaxHiker View Post
    You suck.
    Agreed, in kind of a Primus sort of way...

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    good to live in the south huh?

Just wait till summer hits. It's 95 degrees with 90 percent humidity. Meanwhile, up here in New England we'll be enjoying a nice breezy 70 something degrees with blue skies. Then there's our brilliant fall colors.

I rest my case.
    Yeah, I was thinking about that as I was chugging my Becks on Cowrock with my shirt off this weekend - um, yes, that would be FEBRUARY.

Seriously, I was thinking of that, so I guess you suck, too!
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

i'm goin' to georgia in 3 weeks. gonna join circuit rider and sherlock for a little walkin'

They are fantastic guys. I saw them in the Whites this past summer, and on my '07 hike in MA. When you see them, tell them Blissful says HI.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    .....Then there's our brilliant fall colors.

I rest my case.
    Yep, and in the fall you know what i get to look at? Lots and lots of women in BIKINIS. The colder it gets up there, the more they come down here and strip down to their skivvies
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. - Steven Wright

Images

Spent a nice Sunday afternoon with the wife and daughter snowshoeing around Tyringham Cobble, MA. Just had a 4" dusting of snow, lots of turkey sign, saw 18 on the road in. We have 2-3' of snow pack. I hate snowshoes!

It isn't so great to live in the south right this very moment. We've got tornado warnings already around Metro Atlanta today. Serious storms going on right now, the sirens going crazy. :/

But after it passes, it will be good again. We've got blooming bushes, warmer temps and best of all....NO SNOW.
    "Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?"
    - Frank Scully

i'm goin' to georgia in 3 weeks. gonna join circuit rider and sherlock for a little walkin'
    We've never met LW-but I'm glad you're still around. Have fun on yer little walk. And remember-it's just hikin'.
    "Walk as if you are kissing the Earth with your feet."
    -Thich Nhat Hahn

http://www.cranberrymountainlodge.com/

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1838232611

http://bamahiker.blog.com/ Freedom Walker's Avatar
    Images

Madison County in North Alabama is the best kept secret of the country. Yeah we have a couple of months of hot weather July/August, and some severe weather like todays. We had a little more snow this winter than usual but I have lived here for 56 years and I wouldn’t want to go anywhere else. There is hiking and camping areas in every direction. The Smokies are 4 hours away, the beaches 6 hours away. Nashville is 2 hours to the north, while Atlanta is 4 hours to the east, and Birmingham 2 hours to the south. And Huntsville is a great town. And the southern part of the AT is only 4 hours away too. Yes I am happy to be alive and live here.
    Freedom Walker, I am free to Walk, I am free to Run, I m free to live for You Lord Jesus, I am FREE!

He who the Son sets free, is free indeed.
    Visit my blog Free To Hike

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by earplug94 View Post
    You can't beat the ability to hike in the South in winter.
    Nor the ability to hike in the north in winter. On mild days I just strap on my snowshoes and wander about, enjoying those nice incline planes that snow and winter bring -- no bugs, no roots, no ruts, no leaves to block the view to the rivers, ponds and streams.

This year I've been a bit handicapped. I finally pulled off the tape of the incision the docs made to remove my spleen only this morning. But my kids and grandkids have been enjoying winter -- and I've got an appointment in a couple of days to examine bog bridging on a trail around a beaver flowage. The trail leads uphill a quarter miles to a beautiful wild pond.

My wife and I, and a friend, donated the northern 46 acres of the land surrounding the pond to the town land trust. The land trust, which I helped found 40+ years ago, a couple of years ago bought the southern 64 acres.

I like the variety the four seasons offer. But I also love late winter and spring in North Carolina, where I visited with my my inlaws every spring, until their deaths a decade ago.

All natural places are good. Even cities are good. But I prefer to live near wild places, whether north or south.

You can't beat the northeast in winter-I went snowshoeing yesterday, if you fell off the packed trail you went in up to your waist! And just wait till it melts-mud season, anyone? Don't you wish you lived up here? We didn't even do the planned hike up Camel's Hump because the weather has been refusing to cooperate.

Images

150 yards to the ocean, an hours drive to Harriman state park and the AT, 5 hrs to the adirondacks, 7 to the Whites. You cant beat the surrealness of a blizzard on the beach! I get my fill of bikinis ,and with the mountains only an hour away.I'll take the North(with a rebel yell)

Images

I love it down here, I've been all over the place and I still love the South. Oh Charleston and Asheville how I love you so. California was nice but I'll stay here thanks. Oh and the golf's good too... and the food, the people, etc... etc...
    ...God's Country, and Scotch.

Images

^oh and I happen to favor our ladies as well.
    ...God's Country, and Scotch.

Quote Originally Posted by wvgrinder View Post
    We've never met LW-but I'm glad you're still around. Have fun on yer little walk. And remember-it's just hikin'.
    Nope. It's just walking.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

I love the South. Everything about it, the humidity, the mosquitoes, the wonderful people. When I go back, it is like pulling on the most comfortable soft sweatshirt. Ahhhh! I now live in the southern midwest. Very different from the south.
    As said above, enjoy where ever you live and make the best of what it has to offer. Way better than the alternative.

Images

Yea I hiked 16 miles on the Suwannee and what did I get other than a spectacular wander by my favorite river red bugs. Yea I have chiggers. Now after a bottle of red wine and listening to you tube video songs all the sanity is returning. I am downloading a video I took of the FT trip and it is taking way to long. Ok I still have a little more wine I will get this done.

I know this is not the AT and the mountains but the hike from White Springs, Fl to Ellaville is spectacular. Alot of ravines, creeks, some of the largest oak trees I have ever seen. One of the trees took 5 women with outstretched arms to encircle it.

I have a real passion for the Suwannee River I have hiked about 60 miles of it and I have kayaked over 100 miles of it. You never know that when kayaking the river that all that is happening in the woods. But I know because I have done both.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++