Default Need a partner for thru-hiking in April

Hi everyone! I'm a total novice at this and don't know where to start actually. I'm looking for a partner(s) to hike the whole trail with. I would love anyone to buddy with! I'm 27, starting in GA, and like I said...novice. I'm really up for anything!

If you have facebook, add my [email protected] so we can talk about it all.

Kimi-

Hi Kimi,

Congrats on deciding to hike! You'll find some great info on this website about how to go about prepping for a thru-hike, what to expect, and what type of gear you'll need so you'll feel confident past the "novice" part. I'd suggest taking that info and reading as much as you can about backpacking, outdoor safety, and thru-hiking as possible before you start the hike. I'd also recommend going on a couple of short practice hikes to make sure you know your gear and what works for you. It would also probably be beneficial to find an outdoor club near you that goes on outings--for example, Sierra Club groups are usually full of people who love to share their knowledge of gear and the outdoors with other. If you can start the AT with that kind of knowledge and practice, you'll be better off than a whole bunch of people. There's a great

As for finding a partner, if you have a good framework of knowledge and practice, you should be able to start on your own. The AT is so social that you'll likely meet people very quickly that you can hike with if loneliness or safety are concerns for you. Remember everyone starts the AT with a bit of trepidation about whether they'll be able to make it. The best way to feel confident about your hike is to read up on knowing what to do and practice.

Good luck!
    Snorkel
    AT '08, PCT '09, CDT '10

Welcome Kim. Im also a novice and have found nothing but helpful and insightful things on this site. I have not dont a thru hike but I agree with Yamagame, a lot of people on the trail sure youll hook up with someone. Good luck and welcome

When ru leavin'???

Opps... Practice hikes are a must... Thanks Yamagame...

++ New Posts ++