WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Having not met the owners or visited the camps, sadly most similar camps have been closing down or being converted to private camps for many years. The economics of earning a living just don't line up. AMC supposedly bought the three sporting camps on their 100 mile wilderness property from willing sellers who apparently just couldn't make a go of it. The WHL land at one time most likely was James Rivers timberlands (from the Old Town ME mill). There usually were limited options to some camp owners to buy the lots under their camps which were formerly leased lots before the land got transferred. The land is typically under LURP (land use planning commission) jurisdiction. They rank each great pond in the state as a 1, 2 or a 3. A largely undeveloped lake is a class 1 and development is very restricted, basically what is there is "grandfathered" but anything new is very difficult to permit. Usually its nothing new within 250 feet of the shoreline, with only a 10 foot path can be cleared through the frontage and even the path has to be crooked so that no one can see through it from the lake. If there is a structure closer to the lake it can be repaired to the same footprint of what was there. In some cases these camps have been converted to condominiums where an association owns the land and individual own the buildings. Camp Phoenix at Baxter State Park is such a development. It is an inholding in BSP and can only be accessed from BSP.

There have been lots for sale on occasion at West Carry Pond which is partially developed lake east of Bigelow. They usually are in the 200 K range. There are many camps on lease lots in the Katahdin Area. Not many folks want to by them as they are generally difficult if not impossible to get a mortgage, as the owner of the lot has the right to ask the tenant to vacant when the leases are up. One major owner indicated last year that they would be selling their leased lots to the camp owners. Typically, they give the owner a break over retail but not much for many folks who are retired mill workers. I know of one long term camp that was on leased land, the owner of the land contacted the camp owners one year and gave them 90 days to come up with 250 K cash, no negotiating. If they didn't come up the cash they had to remove the camp on their dime. They ended up selling it to real estate agent for 25K and let the agent buy out the lease. The agent then listed the camp for $395K.

A lot on one of these wilderness lakes is extremely rare. I know of a few on similar lakes. Generally they sell for about $1000 per foot of frontage and LURP limits most lots to 250 feet minimum so plan on $250,000 for the lot. Many may have camps but usually they are basically only worth rebuilding to get around the setback provisions.

Many folks probably don't realize that many on these small business owners have zero retirement and may have loans to pay off. Basically unless they can sell the business and the sweat equity they have built up in it, they cant retire or move on. I don't think that's the case with WHL but it is with many of these camps.

Images

If there was more acreage, it would be possible to make a real go of it. That said it wouldn't take much for the AT community to buy it, I'd put up $1000 right now.

With an asking price of almost $1M, either they are in entirely over their heads or they must not want to sell very badly. Either way, good luck justifying the asking price given the limited stated annual revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by Chomp09 View Post
    With an asking price of almost $1M, either they are in entirely over their heads or they must not want to sell very badly. Either way, good luck justifying the asking price given the limited stated annual revenue.
    It's 7 acres, with a THOUSAND feet of lake frontage. I'm assuming they own the land. If they do, they could probably sell the land for a million. The business thing is a lifestyle activity. Very few of those businesses actually make enough money to sell as a business. That's why many are going under and being bought by rich, urban types, then posted with "No Trespassing" signs. This is happening all over Maine.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
    It's 7 acres, with a THOUSAND feet of lake frontage. I'm assuming they own the land. If they do, they could probably sell the land for a million. The business thing is a lifestyle activity. Very few of those businesses actually make enough money to sell as a business. That's why many are going under and being bought by rich, urban types, then posted with "No Trespassing" signs. This is happening all over Maine.
    Which sort of makes the AMC's outright purchase and permanent protection of over 60,000 prime acres in the area rather remarkable, doesn't it?

Especially considering the club's respect for tradional users.
    Last edited by rickb; 10-06-2013 at 06:51.

The AMC purchase was essentially a "gift" from Plum Creek in order greenwash their project in the Moosehead region. They needed to add a conservation component to the development and by selling it to AMC they bought a lot of credibility from the conservation community.

Journal Entries
    Images

No doubt they will be charging a whole lot more homes they will be selling.

With a million acres they couldn't have developed it all anyway. I'd hate to rely on them for road access.

Default Whl

I stayed there in 2010 and was looked after very well,the food was great .

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

Just came across new ad stating the place is now for sale at $595,000. Although there is discrepancy as to how much waterfront, both ads state 3.5 acres, but one says 500 feet of waterfront and the other says 1,000 feet. There is a list of inventory that comes with the sale, which is basically everything including the boat to ferry hikers across the lake. If I didn't have two small children, I'd think about it, but if you've been there you know how remote it would be for kids to get to and from school, and next to impossible in the winter.

http://businessesforsale.businesswee...s/767256/?J=AF

http://www.lakehouse.com/page-311977.html

Also, it was said before by one of the owners that there is no address, but one is listed in the second ad above.
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

Ounces are the little-death

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    I would not consider White House Landing particularly "hiker friendly." Also, I am not surprised they are selling.. they didn't seem to like the job of running the place when I visited on my hike in 06. This place is seriously expensive for hikers.
    In 2012, the husband couldn't have cared less about hikers. He was honest about wishing he could run fishing trips down in Florida instead of having to do this.
    We/that business were a burden to him. Then you have maybe the most expensive resupply on trail (I think I remember $1 crystal light single servings) on top of their signs leading up to their hostel not saying the cost of the trip or how far away the meeting spot is until after you've already committed halfway to the dock... Not shady, but not exactly the actions taken by people with good intentions.

I hope they sell or get out of the hiker hostel game because they were clearly unhappy doing it. It would be better for everyone involved.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++