WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Need tent suggestion

Need 1 tent for 3 people of various sizes. My husband is 6'3", maybe 200 lbs, my 13 year old son is a bit over 5'3" and 100lbs soaking wet, and I am just a little shorter than my son. We need a 3 person tent that will allow the 3 of us to sleep together. Weight is a consideration but not the end all, be all. Previously we have gone with others so we shared 2 person tents. Don't want to have son in a seperate tent as he doesn't carry a full pack yet and we have to carry his tent weight. And we need something that won't set us back a ton. We hike in Mass, NH, VT, ME - 3 seasons at the most. They produce some heat so we don't need a lot of insulation from a heavy tent.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

This is pretty cool.
    Roland

I would recommend the "Mega-mid" although perhaps you want a floor.
    I do hear that they have a new, sil-nylon model that's is the same design and it even has a floor. (mega-light or something like that)
    It works for my family.
    lot of room, easy setup, excellent tent for windy conditions, lightweight, and not expensive.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

how about a Hubba Hubba for you and your husband and one hubba for the kid? or the 3 person mutha hubba?

check out a Kelty Gunnison...they make a 3 person and a 4 person...very weather proof, nice design and around $200. I have both plus a 2 person...very satisfied.

geek

The Eureka Pinnacle Pass 3xta has room for 3, two doors and vestibules, and is conservatively priced. You can split up the tent body, poles, and fly to distribute the weight.

You might want to check out http://tarptent.com they have a three and four man all pretty light.

Images

www.steapandcheap.com has ALPS mountaineering 4 person tent for 52% off @ $112.99.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

Pyramids such as the mega-mid fiddlehead mentions are available from:
    http://www.owareusa.com/
    http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com...x.php?cPath=47
    Somebody who posts on WB sells a teepee that is pretty large; do a search for tipi, teepee etc.
    An advantage of the pyramid tents is that they can be pretty tall and you can stand up in the middle but they're still not really heavy. You could also make your own or perhaps get one of the smaller companies like oware or MLD to customize one.

In buggy conditions you would want mosquito netting or bug tent inside.

Hike smarter, not harder.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
    www.steapandcheap.com has ALPS mountaineering 4 person tent for 52% off @ $112.99.
    +1. We just bought 4 for our scout troop to use as 3 man tents. Decent weight. And 13 is old enough to carry his share of the gear, as long as you don't go over 20% of his body weight. Something really cool is the Tarptent Hogback.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

I've got a like new Sierra Designs Hyperlight 3 AST for $130 plus shipping. Used it on one four day drip thru GA with 2 friends.

It's a great 3 person tent and you can split up the components so no one carries more than a couple of pounds. Complete weight is around 6 pounds I think.

If interested PM me back and I can provide the particulars

Take a look at the TT Hogback. It will sleep 4 adults, has plenty of headroom and two smallish vestibules but big enough to store a pack or two in each and out of the way.
    note that it will take up not that much more room (footprint) than many 2 person shelters.
    here is a video tour of it :
    http://www.youtube.com/user/francodarioli?feature=mhum#p/u/3/0P8zqZnP-bE
    Franco
    [email protected]
    (BTW, the video is just me playing with it not an official TT video..)

you could live large at 1.6 lbs apiece with the MSR twin brothers...

you could live large at 1.6 lbs apiece with the MSR twin brothers...

Images

When our daughter was younger we used a Tarptent Rainshadow. It's large enough to fit three real people and some gear. The new model has an improved door and more headroom.

Now my wife and I use a two-person tent and my daughter uses a hammock.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    Need 1 tent for 3 people of various sizes. My husband is 6'3", maybe 200 lbs, my 13 year old son is a bit over 5'3" and 100lbs soaking wet, and I am just a little shorter than my son. We need a 3 person tent that will allow the 3 of us to sleep together. Weight is a consideration but not the end all, be all. Previously we have gone with others so we shared 2 person tents. Don't want to have son in a seperate tent as he doesn't carry a full pack yet and we have to carry his tent weight. And we need something that won't set us back a ton. We hike in Mass, NH, VT, ME - 3 seasons at the most. They produce some heat so we don't need a lot of insulation from a heavy tent.
    My wife, our 50lb lab and myself use a Tarptent Rainshadow 2 and couldn't be happier. I also used to use a Contrail when it was just the dog and I-- they really are quality products. There is one video of the Rainshadow being set up on Youtube.

I think it is a great deal: a 2.5lb, 3 person tent for under $300 shipped to your door. Just looking at REI and the cheapest 3 person tent is $200, however its specs look like fitting that 3rd-person could be tight and it weighs close to 6lbs!

Another vote for the TT RainShadow 2

Oh well, this is my video of the Rainshadow II
    http://www.youtube.com/user/francoda.../5/GNf837Dl1B0
    Franco

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Oh well, this is my video of the Rainshadow II
    http://www.youtube.com/user/francoda.../5/GNf837Dl1B0
    Franco
    That is the one that I was referring to-- great presentations BTW Franco.

Thanks Chris.
    I do those videos when I am in the mood for it...
    I still think that the Hogback at just over 4 lbs is more versatile.
    As you can see in the video all of the floor is usable, you have a protected entry point and can be used partially open as a sort of bug shelter.
    The MSR Twin Brothers would be a better choice for winter or really windy places, however it has a huge footprint (good if you like the extra room, not so good in some camp sites or platforms) and of course at about the same weight as the Hogback has no bug protection.
    Also keep in mind when looking at pyramid type shelters that you lose a lot of space around the perimeter and you have a one or two poles in the middle.
    But again, my suggestion is always to get the tent that appeals to "you". Usually people make the one they like work for them.

Franco

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++