WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Four Hikers Hiking AT Caught Underprepared/Found Safe

Four hikers are found in Worthington State Forest after concerns for their well being:http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/warr...e_in_wort.html

Images

Sounds like a girlfriend may have over reacted and called in an awful lot of searchers wonder if they will get stuck with the bill. If they had phone service and did not call for help on their own they did not need saving. Just my two cents.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

"were surprised by the temperature which dipped into the teens"

Don't they have weather channel there?
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladytrekker View Post
    Sounds like a girlfriend may have over reacted and called in an awful lot of searchers wonder if they will get stuck with the bill. If they had phone service and did not call for help on their own they did not need saving. Just my two cents.
    Sounds like it. This is why I tell people that your emergency contact (or check in person) should always be a hiker...I think they are much better at accurately gauging a situation. Granted, we don't know how much the boyfriend was whining.

You get cold and if you don't have a lot of experience that can wreck havoc with your cognitive ability. Worst that happens with four guys who have cell phone signal is you all say "No homo." and snuggle to conserve heat but when you're out there shivering sometimes all you can think of is "I'm going to die." I mean by 7:30 when they found them I'm sure the worst of it was over. If they were going to die of hypothermia they'd have already stripped down and jumped in a river by that point.
    No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post

Don't they have weather channel there?
    Same people that get on this site and ask how far it is from point A to point B. Not that twenty different publications, the White Blaze companion and the ALDHA online companion (even though I think it is offline now) are all readily available.
    Cabin Fever
    You need God—to hope, to care, to love, to live.

Not to be disrespectful in anyway, but in NJ, how naive do you have to be to not expect low temperatures in Feb/March? I've never lived in NJ or anywhere near to know when warmth hits, but something tells me to be prepared for any sort of weather, especially the cold, that early in the year.

Meant to also add:

Quote Originally Posted by ShoelessWanderer View Post
    This is why I tell people that your emergency contact (or check in person) should always be a hiker...I think they are much better at accurately gauging a situation.
    I am glad my mom was able to gauge the situation, there were times when my battery died and I made it to the town a day or so later than expected. I thought for sure my hike was over... But she made the right call to wait a little longer.

I would have to have a bilateral femur fracture to ask for assistance 6miles away from rd access!!

I think they like to fly the copter in this place. Last year it was two older day hikers.
    http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/warr...the_appel.html
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelsWings View Post
    I would have to have a bilateral femur fracture to ask for assistance 6miles away from rd access!!
    someone with a sprained ankle got assistance from 10 rescue workers to get off blood mtn. yesterday

Hike smarter, not harder.

Quote Originally Posted by TheChop View Post
    Worst that happens with four guys who have cell phone signal is you all say "No homo." and snuggle to conserve heat
    I think if I was that cold, we would have had one of those "what happens on the trail, stays on the trail" moments and shared bodily warmth!

And I predict in <15 posts, speculation will begin that they were UL hikers.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Images

I wonder if they were UL hikers?
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Images

We can laugh, and arm chair quarterback.....as long as we remain teachable ourselves.

Images

Other than MD, IMMO, This area has the greatest percentage by far of inexperienced people on the trail.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

++ New Posts ++