WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Tarp Tent from Kits or Scratch/

Has anyone made a tarp tent from the popular kits from Ray Jardine or any other sites. I'm wanting to get opinions before I spring for the kits. I know that the commercially equivalent is about 3 times the price at least. Eventually I might also want to make the pack. Whats your opinion?

Jim in Jacksonville

A bit worried about the "commercial equivalent at about 3 times the cost"
    The reason I say that is because all too often the initial estimate ends up to be a lot less than the total expenditure by the time you finish.
    That is because we do not factor in mistakes, repeated orders ,postage, maybe a new sewing machine or needles...
    So for fun or for a custom job, yes, several have done so, but to save money may not be as much as it appears.
    (note how some mention "my previous prototype/attempt/s...")
    Franco

Images

If you like to sew, and have some experience, you can make a tarp or tarptent from a kit or from materials and a pattern. Be advised that the light, thin, slippery materials are very difficult for a novice. I am barely able to sew a simple stuff sack from sil-nylon, while my lovely wife can work magic with those light fabrics without breaking a sweat.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I made (actually someone else sewed it) a Bilgy tarptent 2. I love it! Quest outfitters is the supplier I used. They have the material and patterns. It is a very roomy 2 man tent, with a very decent outside, covered (vestibule). covered storage all the way around the tent. From what I have had it in it can be set up to be very stable in high winds (and still maintain draft for condensate build up) and can also be "opened up" for more air when the weather is more suitable.

You can do a web search for "bilgy tarp tent" and find some folks who have made one.

I am by no means a sewer/seamstress. Some of the details for me,were confusing and I needed a person who knew a thing or two about a sewing machine (terminology stuff mostly). Luckily, one of my friend's mom is a curtain maker, and she made it for me. It was a great trade off for me cutting down a tree for her.

So great tent for me, on a 2 person outing. Tent, stuff sack, tyvek ground cloth, guy lines (very few) and seam seal, all weighs in at 2lb 12 oz. A little heavier than listed on Quest outfitters page, but I think I got a little overzealous with the seam sealing. Found out after the fact that it is best to use a sponge brush for seam sealing rather than a brush brush. Additionally I had stitched on to each tie-out a guy-line adjuster, which I still need to cut off. (thought the adjuster would be a good idea, but turns out they are not needed).

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

I made a Henry Shires Original tarp tent two years ago, following the directions from his site. Actually, I only made the tarp itself, not the mosquito netting and floor. The tarp is pretty straight forward. I then found a used virga tarp tent for sale here and sold the tarp to someone else.

You could make the tarp, add a ground cloth and a purchased mosquito net
    (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___86662)

And be good to go. This would eliminate the harder parts of the sewing (really not that hard) at least for the present. Add the hard part later.

I decided I really wasn't a tarp kind of guy after a windy blowy rainy night.

Also,every time I see a picture of a winter snow tarp set up I get the shivers. (Guess who lives in Florida???<G>)
    Grinder
    AT hiker : It's the journey, not the destination

Ray-Way kits are excellent quality, and the instructions are well thought out, accurate and well written from the novice. I've made 2 quilts, a tarp, bomber hat, stow bags, etc. Haven't done the pack yet. That said...

We had a sewing machine with good feed dogs, so all we had to buy were needles. I made two or three stuff/stow bags, then moved on to the hat (small pieces to work with) and then the tarp, so I could get used to slippery sil-nylon. I'm not a total newbie to sewing in general, so I really only had to polish my technique, and my wife is a sewing wiz, so she helped in that regard.

Yes, you can save money, if making your own gear is already part of your character. IF you believe you can save money but you've never so much as sharpened a stick, you are going to find lots of frustration and no savings after the mistakes and cursing. Anyone can put a hole in a pop can, but it takes more than that to build (and trust) a stove that will heat your supper when you are cold and wet and the wind is blowing. You are going to live in your shelter/sleep system for 6 months on a thru hike, you'd better be confident that yours will perform.

Get a couple yards of sil-nylon, go make a stuff sack or a pot cozy, and see if you like the process. Ray's tarp book is well worth the price for instructions and information. Then decide if making gear you have to depend on is for you. I love mine, but my wife hates the idea of a drafty tarp - so it doesn't see much use.

Ranc0r

Default Thanks.

Hey Rancor,,, thanks for the posting. I'm a hands on person and have some sewing experience myself. I might just do the Jardine thing and start small. I've got access to a decent machine so thats not a problem. As to making mistakes, well lifes full of them, you have to learn to overcome them and move on. Again thanks for th info and have a great weekend.

I'm going to second Quest Outfitters. I recently ordered the G4 pack kit and my girlfriend knocked it out within a week. I thought the quality of materials and the instructions were great. While I didn't do much/any of the sewing I learned quite a bit from watching the process.

I had been toying with the idea of buying a silnylon tarp for a while and when I realized I could make one for a third of the price I went for it. I didn't really have any dead-set plans. All I really wanted was an 8 x 10 tarp that was as light as possible. I roughly used the henry shires guide as well as the speer hammocks tarp instructions. I just finished it up this morning. The was my first real sewing project and I'm very pleased with the way it turned out. There were a lot of frustrating moments...but hey, I learned a new skill and saved $60.00!

I say go for it!

Default better for me to try and learn!

Thanks for the replies. Yes I know I can buy the latest greatest and still not know anything but I'm the guy that wants to try his hand at things. I did download the plans for the one that recommends the Quest Outfitters for the material. And know I don't think I will buy a "new" machine, I've helped enough neighbors over the years that I have a couple of machines I can borrow. Now I could come up with plenty of maybe and maybe nots for not doing it but then I like to think positive about things. Thanks for all the info.

Images

Give making your own a shot. Borrowing a sewing machine is the best. Even better is borrowing the machine's owner to help or teach you.
    Fabrics:
    http://owfinc.com/
    http://questoutfitters.com/
    Cheap seconds on nylon and silnylon http://www.backwoodsdaydreamer.com/a...ategory/309857
    Some more links to plans, and patterns:
    http://thru-hiker.com/projects/ (also excellent source of kits, light weight materials, etc.; excellent service)
    http://thegreenpepper.com/ Patterns for clothes, etc. Limited but cheap choice of fabrics.
    http://therainshed.com/ More patterns and fabrics, etc. I've found them helpful and patient with an ignorant beginner.
    Sewing tips: http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/tips/silnylon.asp
    http://www.speerhammocks.com/Assets/...es/SewTarp.htm Tarp article
    Videos: check out Brawny's:
    Link list: http://wiki.backpackinglight.com/MYOG_fabrics_sources

Images

I've made Ray way packs, quilts, and tarps. Highly recommend.

Images

Rayway 2 person tarp with a Bear Paw Designs 2 person net tent. Palace for one (2.5#'s), great with partner and dog. Best/most versatile setup I've used so far.
    -milkman

got soul?

After I bought a sewing machine I made a Ray Jardine bomber hat. The instructions were excellent. I followed his instructions even though they didn't make sense and voila! It all worked! It's quite a skill to make instructions that a novice can follow without understanding what they are doing, and then teach them in the process. I learned a lot from that little project and have a great hat for sleeping.

After that, I decided to make my own bug net tent. I had no pattern and no idea how to do it, but I made it and it works. It's not great, but it works and I use it on trips.

I say go for it. Knowing how to make stuff is empowering. If you don't have a sewing machine, check estate sales. I bought an excellent Pfaff for $35 from an estate sale. The old lady that owned it had taken excellent care of it, and with a Pfaff you can sew difficult fabrics. They are sought-after.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

++ New Posts ++