WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Stecoah Gap to Cheoah Bald

Can anyone tell me about this part of the AT? This will be a first overnight hike for me and my older daughter....Everything I've read seems to say 6 miles in and out with camping at the bald or Sassafras Shelter....Not staying at the shelter since we figured most NOBO might need it...but there is water there. Is it a well used trail?...Read somewhere that it was a mountain biking trail... Really new at this just need some direction. We were going to Joyce Kilmer the first day we get up there...FLOWERS!...Then trying an overnight hike..Is there another trail suggestion? Any info is appreciated...Thanks.

Springer to Atkins, VA

It's about 5.5 miles from stecoah Gap up to Cheoah Bald...fairly steady climb...no water on the Bald..don't know status of water at Locust Gap....no water when I was through there last Oct. Good water at Sassafras Gap shelter....and plenty of campsites just south of blue blaze to the shelter....might consider leaving car at NOC and have someone drop you off at Steocah Gap....easy 2 day hike. Have a great hike and cheers.

Not a mountain bike trail. The amount of traffic will depend on when you are there, the warmer the weather the more traffic.

With the wet weather lately, the creek at Sassafras gap should really be flowing and no problem.

This should be a very easy 2 day hike. 6.7 or so miles all the way to the shelter. It took me about 3.5 hours from the shelter back to Stecoah gap last year, and that was at a moderate to slower pace as we had come from the NOC to Stecoah, which is fairly tiring until after Cheoah.

Have fun!

Images

It is one of the more imposing climbs on the southeastern AT. I wouldn't choose it as a first overnight outing because excess packweight or lack of physical conditioning will make it somewhat painful. That said, your mileage is low enough that you should be able to get the job done readily enough. It just might not be as much fun as backpacking can be.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

I went from Stecoah Gap southbound to the NOC in late June '09. Stayed at the shelter. This hike was not that physically demanding with a light overnigh load. The bald was beautiful. NOT a mountain biking trail. Good water at the shelter. Nice shelter...has a loft with windows. I hope they replaced that privy! :0

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    It is one of the more imposing climbs on the southeastern AT. I wouldn't choose it as a first overnight outing because excess packweight or lack of physical conditioning will make it somewhat painful. That said, your mileage is low enough that you should be able to get the job done readily enough. It just might not be as much fun as backpacking can be.
    Totally agree! As your first overnighter, I would highly suggest another section, but then again my first overnight was Wayah Bald to NOC. Good luck!
    HAPPY TRAILS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD HIKE!

Journal Entries
    Images

Depending on both of your physical conditioning, this is up one Big Climb & then one BIG Down the other so leave early & enjoy the hike. I would suggest definately camping on the Bald if the weather is clear. You should be should be ok with water heading SOBO in the Spring at Locust Cove (it was dry when I passed thru here in October) or camel up at Sassafrass heading from the NOC. I agree the NOC is a much better place to leave your car & end your hike.
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Images

This is a pretty strenuous section for a "first hike" with your daughter - not saying don't do it, but why not go from the NOC SOBO to say Telico Gap and climb the fire tower - water at all the shelters in that stretch, etc. but that would be about 14 miles there and back - Or, how about this, start at Stecoah Gap and go north - big climb in there to Brown Fork, but it is short (1/4 mile of really steep) - pretty good tenting at Brown Fork Shelter - you could also camp at Cable Gap Shelter - creek right in front of the shelter - all good options - have fun. Did see 2 bear in the snow near Sasafrass Gap about 3 weeks ago - no worries though.

El Sordo
    Images

or for my $.02, come down to Hiawassee and hike in and out from Dicks Creek to either Plumorchard or Deep Gap shelters. Nice shelter site, ample tenting space. Adequate water and the mouldering privies done right.
    Dyslexics Untie!

Quote Originally Posted by cowpoke View Post
    It's about 5.5 miles from stecoah Gap up to Cheoah Bald...fairly steady climb...no water on the Bald..
    There is water on the Bald...down the hill a bit.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...4&postcount=17
    “Only two things are infinite; The universe and human stupidity,
    And I’m starting to wonder about the universe.”
    Albert Einstein

This section is easy. Its a gradual climb up the back end of Cheoah. If you take the Bartram trail a little ways, less than a half mile, you can get water from Ledbetter Creek. Its NOBO that sucks from NOC. The last little push up Cheoah is a haul but short.

The shelter is a HOLE. Id stay away from it. If you go down from the bald to the shelter its STRAIGHT down. Look at the Art Loab, great starter trail and great camp spots, views but lots of people. The section around Camp Creek Bald is awesome to Jerry Cabin, easy and all views. Honestly, Id go for Carvers to 19E, easy, lots of water and max views. It will get you hooked

I like the Carver's gap to 19E also. The hike to Overmountain shelter is 5.6 miles. Great view from the shelter/camping area. The hike from there will take you over Little Hump mountain then Hump mountain. Both have great views, especially Hump mountain. The trip from Overmountain to 19E is 9.3 miles. Except for the climbs up Little Hump and Hump mountain, it's downhill to 19E. I do NOT recommend leaving a car at 19E. Mountain Harbor B&B/Hostel is just a couple of tenths of a mile down the road (downhill along the road). They'll let you park a car on their property for a small fee and will provide a shuttle to Carver's gap. Have fun hiking!

Quote Originally Posted by sparky2009 View Post
    I like the Carver's gap to 19E also. The hike to Overmountain shelter is 5.6 miles. Great view from the shelter/camping area. The hike from there will take you over Little Hump mountain then Hump mountain. Both have great views, especially Hump mountain. The trip from Overmountain to 19E is 9.3 miles. Except for the climbs up Little Hump and Hump mountain, it's downhill to 19E. I do NOT recommend leaving a car at 19E. Mountain Harbor B&B/Hostel is just a couple of tenths of a mile down the road (downhill along the road). They'll let you park a car on their property for a small fee and will provide a shuttle to Carver's gap. Have fun hiking!
    The crown jewel of the southern AT

Quote Originally Posted by sparky2009 View Post
    And those climbs arent even bad, the views on the way up are awesome

Typical WB responses thus far - 180 degrees apart!

This is a nice hike, a rewarding hike, and feasible in the time you're allowing. You can and should enjoy it. I hiked it SOBO in the Fall on a beautiful day and savored wonderful views from Cheoah and Swim Balds.

But it is not "easy." I say this because once you're told it's "easy," you may have visions of a fairly level trail in which you don't sweat much and merely stroll along. It's steady, steep-at-times uphill with many false summits before finally arriving at Cheoah. These minor PUDs add to the total elevation gained.

So go out and hike it, allow enough time, and prepare yourself mentally if not physically, for a lot of uphill.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Typical WB responses thus far - 180 degrees apart!

This is a nice hike, a rewarding hike, and feasible in the time you're allowing. You can and should enjoy it. I hiked it SOBO in the Fall on a beautiful day and savored wonderful views from Cheoah and Swim Balds.

But it is not "easy." I say this because once you're told it's "easy," you may have visions of a fairly level trail in which you don't sweat much and merely stroll along. It's steady, steep-at-times uphill with many false summits before finally arriving at Cheoah. These minor PUDs add to the total elevation gained.

So go out and hike it, allow enough time, and prepare yourself mentally if not physically, for a lot of uphill.
    Really dude???

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    Really dude???
    Yes, dude, really

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Yes, dude, really
    You never cease to amaze me, even when I leave for extended amounts of time. I see somethings never change

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    You never cease to amaze me, even when I leave for extended amounts of time. I see somethings never change
    Well I'm glad you're back

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++