WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Does anyone use external frames anymore??

I consider myself somewhat of a "traditionalist". My kids say im just old. But i am seriously considering going back to an external. I'm looking for input on the newer externals. Anyone have any experience with newer models?

I gotta have more cowbell!

Hey Bearbag,
    If you do a search on "external frame packs" you will find a slew of information on the subject including the external vs. internal debate..

Personally I prefer an external for various reasons over the internal but that's just me..

Cheers,
    Serge
    Sergemaster

Quote Originally Posted by Bearbag View Post
    I consider myself somewhat of a "traditionalist". My kids say im just old. But i am seriously considering going back to an external. I'm looking for input on the newer externals. Anyone have any experience with newer models?

you bet ! nothing better IMO

What kind of external did you have

Images

Yep. Just bought a Kelty Trekker 3950 a few weeks ago. I love it.
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. - Steven Wright

I also have a kelty trekker 3950 nice pack plenty of pockets i use it all year around

Images

Hike smarter, not harder.

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    OK, I'll bite. What is it?
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Images

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    OK, I'll bite. What is it?
    It's by KUIU

http://kuiu.wordpress.com/2011/01/24...n-fiber-frame/

The price is better than I thought it would be.

Usually, I sweat copiously and soak through my clothes quickly when I'm on the trail. Rightly or wrongly I thought a close fitting internal wouldn't be as comfortable as an external. I've never used an internal...what have I missed?

FB
    "All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..."

Article II, Section 3
    The Constitution of the State of Montana

Hello,

Pretty sure the pack frame illustrated is from KUIU.com https://www.kuiu.com/collections/hun...ack-components

Seriously considering this frame for a 2023 Thru Hike. I’d be curious if anyone has any experience with the carbon fiber frame, corresponding suspension system, quality, durability, loading strategies and company customer service. Thank you-

Quote Originally Posted by Whartz04 View Post
    Hello,

Pretty sure the pack frame illustrated is from KUIU.com https://www.kuiu.com/collections/hun...ack-components

Seriously considering this frame for a 2023 Thru Hike. I’d be curious if anyone has any experience with the carbon fiber frame, corresponding suspension system, quality, durability, loading strategies and company customer service. Thank you-
    Seems heavy even for a framed pack. Have you looked at Seek Outside? More $$ by far, but the Unaweep 4800 is around a pound lighter. I have a Unaweep 6300 I use as my Winter pack on most trips.
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

I am very impressed with backpack options available at SeekOutside.com (a new resource to me!)

https://seekoutside.com/

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Bearbag View Post

My father-in-law still loves and uses his decade old Kelty Trekker, I still don't know why he doesn't purchase a new pack but one thing is for sure, that Trekker is a work horse.

Just last year when we backpacked into the La Garita Wilderness he must have loaded that dam thing up with nearly 50lbs of gear-- full chest waders and everything and he never complained once about it hurting him.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisFol View Post
    My father-in-law still loves and uses his decade old Kelty Trekker, I still don't know why he doesn't purchase a new pack but one thing is for sure, that Trekker is a work horse.

Just last year when we backpacked into the La Garita Wilderness he must have loaded that dam thing up with nearly 50lbs of gear-- full chest waders and everything and he never complained once about it hurting him.
    probably because the external carries the weight so much better!, gets the weight on the hips more than the shoulder.
    kelty super tiogas are my favorite pack. also just picked up a dana designs k2 shortbed.

Images

There are a lot of folks who dearly love their external frame packs. Heavy or not, they tend to carry well and last. I don't think they'll ever disappear from the hiking scene. As for me, my Cuben fiber 7 oz pack works just fine. To each their own!

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    also just picked up a dana designs k2 shortbed.
    Some of the ones made just there at the end were made like utter crap. Waterproofing peeling and getting all over everything. Fabrics bleeding at the first sign of getting wet. Cut-corners stitching, and with really wimpy threads. The frame and harness remained good quality, but the pack body was really a slap in the face of a company known for its high quality and overkill materials.

Hike smarter, not harder.

My Kelty 50th Anniversary model is lighter than a lot of the internals that are worshipped here on WB. Still heavier than I want to use, unless I'm carrying 4-5 gallson of water.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Kelty trekker here also. Although if I could have got a golite at the sale price a few days ago I would have just to see how I like it.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++