WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Roan Knob Shelter --> Damascus...or ?

I'm thinking about a week to 10 day section hike in late-September. Last year i did from Mt. Rogers to Damascus through the Highlands in 6 days. I loved the Highlands ! I was wondering what tips or advice anybody had for Roan Mtn to Damascus, or other suggestions for a week or little more hike (under 100 miles). I'm open to suggestions....
    Last edited by waldick; 03-13-2011 at 20:42.
    "My life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, totally worn out, proclaiming: What a Ride!"

This side of the dirt
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by waldick View Post
    ........ Last year i did from Mt. Rogers to Damascus through the Highlands in 6 days. I loved the Highlands ! .
    I have planned that trip this year for 4/18 - 4/23. I also really enjoy the Highlands. Hike through them in 07 & 09.
    "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed, is more important than any other one thing." Abraham Lincoln (1855)

Images

Maybe start in Erwin?

Honestly I don't think you can go wrong anywhere in that area. I'm sure you have mid Sept picked out for a reason but I will say that the 170 miles I did from the James River to Pearisburg in Oct '08 is my favorite hike by far. I hit everything at peak colors.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

I was thinking of starting at the Roan shelter which is a little further south ...assuming i can get someone to shuttle me there..
    As far as the time of year goes, i like late September for the temperature as well as the leaves...
    "My life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, totally worn out, proclaiming: What a Ride!"

Images

If you start at Roan, Mountain Harbour B& B/Hostel on 19E in TN will shuttle.
    Maybe have them drop ya at the top of the park road and ten start your hike...

...but will they pick me up in Damascus....

There are several people here on White Blaze that live in Damascus that shuttle. Also Mt Rodgers will shuttle you that far.

Journal Entries
    Images

You can get some great shuttlers out of Damascus, ppl on here will pm you if they haven't already. I am also sectioning from Erwin to Damascus & a WB'er pm'd with with a fair price for a shuttle. Just ask : o )
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Heck if you are going to Roan, you should make the NOBO climb from at least Hughes Gap. Roan is no picnic of hike but it makes getting to the top and seeing the rolling meadows on top worth it. Take the trail to Grassy Ridge after Carvers Gap and the balds. Complete that day by hiking to Overmountain Shelter, also a nice place to stay.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Currently the road to Cloudland/Rodo Gardens is closed to renovations. But they should open it in June.

I would recommend starting in Erwin or at Indian Grave Gap so you can get Beauty Spot/Unaka in. Uncle Johnny's hostel for shuttles.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Camp on Grassy Ridge, unforgetable spot!

++ New Posts ++