WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Trimming the Weight of My Pack

I was wondering what things can be removed from my pack (like excess straps) to make it a little lighter. I have a North Face Terra 60 and am looking to make it as light as possible. I don't have the money to buy a new one (i'm a college student). How can I modify my pack to make it lighter?

Journal Entries
    Images

You can probably remove the top lid.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

some observations

Feathered friend to all. Penguin's Avatar

just a thought, but maybe if you get straight A's, you could ask your parents for a lighter pack as a reward. Or just cut other items weight that you haven't bought yet, maybe go a little lighter on food, or don't carry useless stuff with you. A 60 liter pack should never be more then about 2/3 full im guessing. Remember Its not your gear that determines a successful hike, it's a positive attitude

Sell it on ebay then make your own.

http://www.questoutfitters.com/patte...ITE%20BACKPACK

I dropped a couple of pounds with this pack. For under $40 you'll probably come out ahead

On The same note as Tyler's suggestion, you could get one of the Ray Jardine do it yourself packs. I am nearly finished with one (just the waist belt to go) and am coming in under 10oz.

http://www.rayjardine.com/ray-way/Ba...-Kit/index.htm

Images

buy a $20 scale at walmart and start weighing all of your stuff. you'll soon start leaving things at home like excessive stuff sacks, covers for steripens, extra batteries, etc. this was the best investment i made to help me lose serious weight off my pack...
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Quote Originally Posted by Wags View Post
    buy a $20 scale at walmart and start weighing all of your stuff. you'll soon start leaving things at home like excessive stuff sacks, covers for steripens, extra batteries, etc. this was the best investment i made to help me lose serious weight off my pack...
    Seconded.

Once you learn how much things weigh, then you seriously start to consider if an item is worth bringing.

Actually, one of the things that I used to do was sort though EVERY item in my backpack the first thing i returned home from a trip and discard every item that I didn't use, weigh the rest and search for alternatives.

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisFol View Post
    Seconded.

Once you learn how much things weigh, then you seriously start to consider if an item is worth bringing.

Actually, one of the things that I used to do was sort though EVERY item in my backpack the first thing i returned home from a trip and discard every item that I didn't use, weigh the rest and search for alternatives.
    Me too. A scale is a must. I am not an ultra-lite hiker in more ways than one, but a scale will show you things that you hadn't thought about. My old pack came in at 6.5 lbs empty!
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Quote Originally Posted by tcm1226 View Post
    I was wondering what things can be removed from my pack (like excess straps) to make it a little lighter. I have a North Face Terra 60 and am looking to make it as light as possible. I don't have the money to buy a new one (i'm a college student). How can I modify my pack to make it lighter?
    I am just guessing that you are starting with your pack and do not have all the rest of your gear yet. If that is so, do not modify your pack yet. Once you are ready to pack up, then think about what features of your pack are excess weight and try to remove as many as you can. No ice ax? cut off those loops....and so on.

Just looking at the pack now--take off everything that can be removed without cutting. Are any of these really necessary to the way you will use the pack? If so them put them back on. Then look at things like top lid, metal stays, tool loops, campon patches-if not needed then start cutting.

Once your pack is full and ready to go--then you can shorten up all the straps that are too long--waist belt, shoulder, sternum...

If you make a mistake, you can always sew things back on.

I know that I did this along the trail after I had my gear adjusted like I wanted and had a good idea of what I did not need. When I got to the NOC I cut all extra straps, shortened the ones I was using, cut the top off and all external pockets. Not sure what the weight loss was but it was a pound plus and worth it.
    SweetAss

Quote Originally Posted by earlyriser26 View Post
    Me too. A scale is a must. I am not an ultra-lite hiker in more ways than one, but a scale will show you things that you hadn't thought about. My old pack came in at 6.5 lbs empty!
    Me third. I already had a kitchen scale but as soon as I weighed every piece of gear I had and put it in a spreadsheet everything came into focus. Your perception of weight has so much to do with the density of an object it's difficult to realize what's heavy and what's not. It's one thing to debate leaving the backpacking pillow at home when it's just an abstract weight. When you realize it will save 10 ounces though it becomes much easier to do. Likewise when you realize something is .5 ounce it makes it easier to keep.
    No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength.

Thanks guys this helps.

++ New Posts ++