WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Dahlonega Trail Fest...

Is anyone going??? They have shuttles running from Springer and Neels every day... Nimblewill Nomad is the Keynote Speaker on Saturday night... Camping in-town and out of town, also with shuttles... Check it out...
    http://www.dahlonegatrailfest.org/

this "fest" won't be well attended

This is the first year for Dahlonega.
    Don't worry Wolf, it will probably not cut into Damascus and Trail Days..
    "You don't have to think fast if you move slow" Red Green

I'm going, with my daughter (trail name, Pinky). She loves Dahlonega and any excuse to go there, so we'll definitely be there at least Saturday, maybe Sunday too. As excited as we are to experience our first trail-type festival, we also want to actually hike next weekend, especially since her school play (and both DH and her b-days) kept us from hiking at all during this one. Looking forward to meeting others.
    "Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?"
    - Frank Scully

Images

And just where in Dahlonega is this suppose to take place? The website doesnt say?

The sites for the different activities are listed on the schedule. It looks like most is in Hancock Park.
    - Frank Scully

Images

And there are NO directions. that website SUCKS.

Their Facebook page seems better. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dahlon...47259828655158
    - Frank Scully

Quote Originally Posted by Delta-Dawn View Post
    I'm going, with my daughter (trail name, Pinky). She loves Dahlonega and any excuse to go there, so we'll definitely be there at least Saturday, maybe Sunday too. As excited as we are to experience our first trail-type festival, we also want to actually hike next weekend, especially since her school play (and both DH and her b-days) kept us from hiking at all during this one. Looking forward to meeting others.
    Are you guys going to camp if you stay overnight??? The one out of town on the river will deff be more fun than the one at the College ...

Slowest Hiker On Earth

I don't think of Dahlonega as a trail town.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by shoe View Post
    I don't think of Dahlonega as a trail town.
    I really doubt they care what you think.

Images

Dahlonega just received "trail town" status from the ATC just like Franklin did last year. I will be there and camping. The schedule looks really fun. I'll be on a panel with several other hikers. SHOE, I'd love to see you out there, if you aren't still having foot problems...

By the way, most folks don't stop in Dahlonega once they are on the trail, but plenty stay there the night before the trail!
    Last edited by Red Hat; 03-14-2011 at 06:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Toli View Post
    Are you guys going to camp if you stay overnight??? The one out of town on the river will deff be more fun than the one at the College ...
    I don't know yet, although I would really like to. We have major renovations beginning at our house this week, so I don't know yet if I am going to be able to come up and spend the night or if I'll have to drive home (I'm less than an hour south on 400). Pinky wants to stay at the Lodge at Amicalola so she can hold the snake that volunteer Arliss (in the nature center) told her he would let her hold, plus she always asks to stay at the lodge and I always make us camp, lol. It was her b-day yesterday and because she had a play she was in all weekend, she didn't have a party. I'm thinking of letting her take her best friend and we have a girls night at the Lodge after all the goings on in Dahlonega.
    - Frank Scully

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Echo View Post
    And just where in Dahlonega is this suppose to take place? The website doesnt say?
    Read the PDF on the website...
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

Default Dahlonega Trailfest & Getting Started

Good luck to all and I will be on the Q&A panels at the Dahlonega Trailfest as well so anyone who is there just introduce yourselves.

As someone mentioned already, Dahlonega is the place from which you get to the trail so unless you are being dropped off by family/friends or camping overnight near the trailhead your may want to take advantage of the transportation options.

Anyone that needs to I can put up campers myself on a first come first serve basis as I will be going in and out of town each day (after dark and before first light). I am 13 miles from the town and actually a day's hike overland to Springer in the national forest (not recommended without a GPS).

This is just one man's opinion but I propose that there are two required pieces of equipment and the rest is optional. 1) Heart 2) Head.

In your heart you should have tenacity, regardless of hiking fast or slow, ultralight or walking pantry, if you never quit you will complete. Also, a positive attitude. Things will happens that you do not plan for, but with the right attitude it all becomes lemonade

In your head you need to have the common sense that you have learned from other outtings, or at least a predisposition to think before you act. This is one test that you know has multiple correct answers most of which have been arrived at again and again over the years. Most people who have gotten to hurt to heal, gotten lost, ran out off supplies, or otherwise been forced off the trail took actions that upon further review lend themselves to "What the heck was that guy/gal thinking". The good news is after a couple of weeks on the trail you will have it down to a routine, that you can adjust as the terrain and weather changes.

Finally, I propose to each of you to engage each of the people you meet for the next couple of weeks. Your new trail brothers and sisters (off all ages) will become consistent hut mates for the next approximately 6 months so if you want to be able to depend on them you need to prove to them that they can depend on you. As you make new friends and as everyone adjusts their speed to a comfortable level you will get into a routine. Those people you greated in your first meeting might very well be the only ones there on the day you are cresting Katadyn. I and the Atlanta group had a 10 person reunion in December after everyone was done. The footnote is that none of us knew each other before we hiked.

Again best wishes to everyone and if say hello during the panels/Trailfest.

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Is this going to be held on the same dates, or same time-frame every year?
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Echo View Post
    I really doubt they care what you think.
    comment uncalled for

I have been told that this is expected to be an annual event. Don't underestimate the town of Dahlonega. These folks are experts on putting on festivals. I can assure you that there will be plenty of activities and, even though this is the first year knowing the folks who put this together, I am sure it will be surprisingly organized.

The activities will take place just off the square. Very easy to find.

I am an officer of the Gold Museum Volunteer group and I will be working our information table on Saturday in front of the museum. We will be giving out applications for Friends Passes to all Georgia State Parks and Historic Sites. Stop by and see me.

The weather is going to be AWESOME!!! "Super Moon" Saturday night...
    http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...2=-83.9846&e=0
    Thanks FatMan/MountainMike07/RedHat... Me 'n SideKick will see ya there...

I agreed with everyone saying Dahlonega wasn't really a trail town but then I looked at the website and they're certainly emphasizing the fact they're at the start of the trail so I'll let it stand for now.

Although I've always seen Dawsonville as the closer town to Amicalola personally.
    No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++