WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Razor View Post
    I do not want a waterproof,bomb proof pack. The current tradeoff between weight and features goes to weight. A 2-3 oz garbage bag will waterproof any pack and you have more options to store/organize your gear. The current fabric choices gives everyone the choices they want.
    My concern is that it's rated to be good for "one through hike". What if your through hike is a little longer? What if you carry a little more weight and aren't as careful? You could end up with a pack that is falling apart before the end of the hike.

I'm also not enthralled with the idea of disposable gear. I understand the allure for ultralight hiking, but I don't want to have a landfill full of worn out stuff after every hike. Between the lightweight shoes, the fuel canisters, the clothes, and now the pack. I don't mind a pack that weighs a few more ounces that will last me years and years. Heck, I still have the boots I hiked the AT with. They've been resoled a time or two, but they're going strong. And they don't even weigh that much more than a pair of trail runners.

Az

Images

I am currently taking donations so I can purchase a Blast 26 and a Hexamid Twin! Any interested individuals who would like to contribute to my gear addiction are gracefully welcomed, and can PM me w/ details.

(I'm kidding folks, except for those who think I'm being serious, upon which you can click the little PM thingy, ask for my email address, and shoot me a wad of cash so I can continue this crazy addiction)
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Cuben, cuben, cuben... where will it end?

I just finished seam sealing the seams on my cuben pack liner and cuben stuff bags. Had a little left over and hit some of the seams on the cuben Blast 32 as well though Joe suggested that seam sealing the pack was probably more trouble that it is worth.

Judy shipped my cuben Lightheart Solo yesterday - an 18 oz, double wall tent.

I'll know pretty soon if this has all been worth it or an exercise in throwing money down the rabbit hole.

Assuming the Lightheart Solo does indeed weight 18 oz I should be hitting the trail with 3 days worth of food and water and just a tad under 15 lbs.

I could lop off another pound or so if I really wanted to but the things I could leave behind I'd really rather not. 15 lbs is ok with me, for now.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Cuben, cuben, cuben... where will it end?
    I understand a cuben inflatable-sleeping pad is in the works with a projected weight of 5.3 oz. for a regular 2.5" 72" 20" model...

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by azb View Post
    My concern is that it's rated to be good for "one through hike". What if your through hike is a little longer? What if you carry a little more weight and aren't as careful? You could end up with a pack that is falling apart before the end of the hike.

I'm also not enthralled with the idea of disposable gear. I understand the allure for ultralight hiking, but I don't want to have a landfill full of worn out stuff after every hike. Between the lightweight shoes, the fuel canisters, the clothes, and now the pack. I don't mind a pack that weighs a few more ounces that will last me years and years. Heck, I still have the boots I hiked the AT with. They've been resoled a time or two, but they're going strong. And they don't even weigh that much more than a pair of trail runners.

Az
    I'm one of the consumers of these disposable packs and shoes, and I'm not enthralled with the idea, either. For some (maybe only a few older or weaker folks), though, going light is not only an allure, it's a necessity to keep hiking.

I don't think UL hikers are exactly filling up the landfills. In over 10,000 long trial miles, I have thrown away only one pack. One is now my airline carry-on, and another is close to the grave, but I'm still hiking with it. I've gone through about fourteen pairs of shoes that weigh about 11 oz each, so just under ten pounds of material. Add the pack and one tarptent and it's still under 12 pounds in the landfill over six years. That's very little compared to the average American weekly trash can.

And there just aren't that many people who go on to hike multiple thru hikes.

I do get your point though and like I said, it does bother me. I don't drink water out of disposable bottles because of that kind of concern. I guess we all can justify what we need to.

I won't do freezer bag cooking, either. That bothers me more than disposable shoes--throwing away a heavy freezer bag every night. I think that's more material than my shoes and many don't think twice about that.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Garlic
    Images

Excuse the drift in the last post. I also meant to add, sticking to the point, that I will seriously look at Z-packs for my next pack. I've been using Gossamer Gear silnylon for a long time, but I have recently gotten interested in cuben. Thanks for the link.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RayBan View Post
    I understand a cuben inflatable-sleeping pad is in the works with a projected weight of 5.3 oz. for a regular 2.5" 72" 20" model...
    I just started drooling with anticipation...
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

I don't understand yet why there are seems on a cuben fiber backpack-must be the labor time involved because glued cuben seems are stronger than stitched seems. Evidently cuben 'weld's like pvc. So theoretically a truly cuben pack could be made...unless I'm missing something?
    Start out slow, then slow down.

Garlic
    Images

Maybe it's the textile industry being slow to embrace new technology? I imagine new machinery and skills would be needed to make garments with anything other than thread. I would wonder how long it takes for the weld to cure, and how would you hold it in place, how much labor and time that takes, etc. Good question.

I made a cuben pac, much like the blast, (I have one of these) I glued all the seams. had a bit of trouble putting on a good belt,(I like a good belt to hang things on, (the cuben pac can be ordered with belt attachments too) I made the pac very tall, so I can just tie an overhand knot tyo close it, It seems to be pretty water tight., glued seams and tied closure. quite light some 7 oz i believe. I also use a small front pac to counter balance the back pac. The front pac is good for handy Items, food, wind jacket etc.. with a tight belt I have very little wgt on the shoulders., even the front pac is suspended from the belt. I find shoulder wgt to be very tiring. gnome

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I've said this on another thread but it's worth mentioning here... The Blast 32 is a huge pack. Even with 5 days worth of food going into GSMNP I still had a lot of room left over.

If I had it to do over I'd get the Blast 26 and stick with my Gossamer Gear Murmur if I needed to go smaller. The Blast 32 will make an excellent winter pack.

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    I don't understand yet why there are seems on a cuben fiber backpack-must be the labor time involved because glued cuben seems are stronger than stitched seems. Evidently cuben 'weld's like pvc. So theoretically a truly cuben pack could be made...unless I'm missing something?
    You are right, gluing it up time intensive and a bit of a pain....more than a bit. My wife and I just finished a couple Cuben tarps, a half dozen stuff sacks, and a few hip belt pockets out of Cuben.

Sewing the stuff is great, easier than lightweight nylon for me. But the gluing, not so much.

Gnome may be able to chime in on the subject, since he just did a pack and glued. Just did my first pack this spring (nylon ), and when i do make a Cuben pack, ill sew it.

I like the design with the simple trash can stile main compartment, and the big mesh pocket for damp clothes and stuff, like my Kelly Kettle.

Looking for a comfortable cave to habitate jrwiesz's Avatar
    Images

I like this pack(2200cu, 12.2oz.):

http://www.sunnysports.com/Catalog.a...er=2144%3d2179

it's waterproof, and along with the Marmot Highlander waist pack, it is my current kit.

For day hikes out of a base camp, I take just the waist pack, or the summit pack.

Priced right, also.
    "For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    Carl Sagan

I have a new Zpack Hexamind Twin tent that I used for three nights in the Smokies and my wife found it didn't have the privacy that she wanted, so I am selling it. I have $534 + tax all in and will let it go for $500 to the first comer. It is the Hexamid Twin with mesh, extended peak, cubin fiber groundsheet, zline spectra guy lines. I'll also throw in the 10 titanium stakes. Great tent and stayed completely dry in a massive thunderstorm. All in at 17 oz. Very cool.

Images

How are these manufacturers getting away with not bonding the seams on cuben? Sounds like a seam split just waiting to happen given the fabric. It will be interesting to hear longer term use of these products.

Mountain Laurel Designs bonds.

Images

read about it here:

http://www.zpacks.com/about.shtml

joe v. sews his packs and tarps. both stood up to the abuse of a thru hike on the PCT and the CDT...
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wags View Post
    read about it here:

http://www.zpacks.com/about.shtml

joe v. sews his packs and tarps. both stood up to the abuse of a thru hike on the PCT and the CDT...
    Yes - I read that. But....he is selling the product. I am still awaiting longer term use from general users.

Images

"How are these manufacturers getting away with not bonding the seams on cuben? Sounds like a seam split just waiting to happen given the fabric. It will be interesting to hear longer term use of these products.

Mountain Laurel Designs bonds."
    I have a Mountain Laurel Design Patrol Shelter in Cuben Fiber. The ridgeline is bonded instead of sewn. I just completed my thru hike of the AT using it most nights on the A.T. The bonded ridgeline shows absolutely no wear. The shelter never leaked a drop of water. The lack of stitching means the shelter needs no seam sealing along the ridgeline. Bonding the main seam also means there are no stitch holes to weaken the fabric. I don't want to make this a MLD vs Zpack thread (I like both these companies and their products!) but I had to speak up with what you asked for which was personal long term experience with a bonded seam on Cuben fiber.
    Headed in to town.. You gotta rock the down! -fellow hikers mantra

Images

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyGuy View Post
    Yes - I read that. But....he is selling the product. I am still awaiting longer term use from general users.
    you got an answer to this over at bpl. perhaps it'd be worthwhile to link that here...
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++