WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default z-pack? wow looking better than ever!

http://www.zpacks.com/backpacks.shtml

Could not help but notice, and if its old news I apologise.

But the site is looking better than ever!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

yeah, and i thought I was finally done w/ my gear list,,, then I stumbled onto zpacks a few months ago. Oh well,,, the gear addiction continues...
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

I'm curious- is the Cuben fiber waterproof?

I could never understand why all backpacks aren't waterproof- if these are they are an option for me

Images

cuben fiber is waterproof. The seams on the pack are not. They can be sealed with Silnet, as Joe at Z-packs told me. He suggests using cuben stuff sacks as a better, and very light weight option.

I'm currently waiting on my Blast 32. I will be adding a few cuben stuff sacks as well.

Journal Entries
    Images

Perhaps a good answer is "Backpacks are water resistant, not water proof or bomb proof. "

They are intended to carry about 30 lbs comfortably behind you with centering the weight on your hips, not your shoulders. If you are carrying the right equipment, Only a few items need waterproof and should be in a waterproof bag inside your pack, IE your sleep bag.

Cuben Fiber is strong lightweight but like most of these materials cannot resist abrasion, therefore can get holes and small rips, it is not intended to last forever.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

People use tarps that are made out of cuben as their primary shelter all the time and would say that rain is no more likely to leak into one of these as any other pack.

FWIW, Zpacks answers this in their FAQ section:

"Are ZPacks backpacks waterproof?
    They are very water resistant, but should not be considered 100% waterproof due to the seams and inevitable wear and tear. They will do fine in light rain or a brief shower, but in an all day downpour consider adding a Pack Cover, a liner bag, or a poncho."

However, since this is a frameless pack I wouldn't consider this is I was carring much more than 20lbs.

Also, I have been considering a Blast 20 for quite sometime and would have ordered one but unfortunately I have had to purchase two shelters already this year and so the pack will have to wait until later in the year.

Thumbs up to Joe at Zpacks. Excellent craftsmanship and superior customer service. There is quite the waiting list for back packs and shelters My custom backpack arrived as promised and Joe is very willing to accommodate a deadline and get you your gear when needed. I think my new shelter will be made by him too...
    Hiking is a buffet of walking.

Okay, so the material itself is waterproof, but the seams aren't. I'm looking at the dyneema ones since they seem tougher and are still miraculously light compared to my 7.5 pound EMS pack.

Still makes 0 sense to me why all backpacks aren't waterproof. Are there any makers that actually offer a wayerproof pack?

Quote Originally Posted by bobqzzi View Post
    Okay, so the material itself is waterproof, but the seams aren't. I'm looking at the dyneema ones since they seem tougher and are still miraculously light compared to my 7.5 pound EMS pack.

Still makes 0 sense to me why all backpacks aren't waterproof. Are there any makers that actually offer a wayerproof pack?
    Dyneema is tough as nails-- take a look at a Golite Jam or Pinnacle-- it is the same stuff.

As for the seams-- if the packs are anything like shelters then simply seal the seams with a silicone/mineral spirit mixture and it will be fine.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I'm waiting on a Blast 32 and my plan is to seal it just like a tent - as mentioned above.

Will still use a pack cover to keep the stuff in the outside pockets semi-dry.

Images

I just got in an order of cuben stuff sacks, Z-line and a Microweight Fleece hat Friday. Excellent quality, very lightweight and fast shipping.
    ZPacks is awesome!!!

I do not want a waterproof,bomb proof pack. The current tradeoff between weight and features goes to weight. A 2-3 oz garbage bag will waterproof any pack and you have more options to store/organize your gear. The current fabric choices gives everyone the choices they want.

You can get waterproof 'backpacks' . They are essentially a dry sack with straps on.
    Once you start to put a frame, pockets and compression straps you need to stitch them in and taped seams would disintegrate with movement.
    So a possible work around is something like the Z packs and as suggested you seam seal them.
    (remember that an hour or two of your time is a lot less expensive than an hour or two of paid labour..)

That (IMHO) will also fail but you may get enough trips out of it to warrant your time.
    Personally I would not trust it for my down bits.
    Franco

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Here's a pretty good "waterproof" pack. I don't think you could take it diving but for walking it would work: http://ula-equipment.com/epic.asp

Images

back on topic. yes, joe at zpacks is the freaking man. i rarely drool at other websites anymore. the only big ticket item i'm currently craving is one of his cuben hammock tarps. so much coverage for like 6 ounces
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

He has great prices on his cuben products compared to others.

I use a SealLine pack for canoe trips. SealLine

Journal Entries
    Images

Yes-but thats not what most people are looking for.

http://www.granitegearstore.com/Immersion-P84.aspx

Woo

Working on Forestry Grad schol

my zpack is the best pack I've ever owned

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++