WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default fires! yes or no?

i am a thru hiker leaving in april from springer to katadyn.i plan on using my tent and stove every night. then i thought how great would it be to sit by a fire and warm up on cold nights and save fuel. what are the rules with fires on the at. i love nature and want to keep it as natural as possible,so does this mean no fires. i dont know please share the rules and regulations with me,but also the proper etiquette

Most of the AT is open for fires, except in a few places such as NPs and some state park/gameland areas (MD & PA). The problem most of the time is that the areas immediate to the shelters and campsites are already cleaned out of down and dead wood. Nearly all folks camping nearby won't mind a fire, but most are too tired to go to the effort of wood gathering, etc.

As far as etiquette just try to be smart in where its located and avoid building where the wind blows smoke directly into the shelter (many time the firerings at shelters are too close).

Drilling holes deep into the earth to extract oil and natural gas aren't exactly my idea of natural. If you want to keep it as natural as possible you should probably use alcohol to cook your meals. There's absolutely nothing wrong with fires to cook and dry clothing by. You will be disappointed when you get to Connecticut (no fires at all allowed) and Mass. (fires limited to certain sites - actually I'm pretty sure all states have at least one or two "no fire" sites). There will most likely be a fire at every established shelter on non rainy nights early on in a nobo thruhike.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

You won't need to warm up if you don't allow yourself to get cold.

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

I never build fires in the woods anywhere any more. Couple of reasons..1.. I'm too lazy to hunt the wood and build the fire and my stove is just too much easier 2....It uglies up the place Some places it isn't allowed at any times. also, sometimes due to dry conditions there are outside fire bans in affect..A few weeks ago I came back from a short 4 day hike and witnessed a few idiots with a fire during very windy and dry conditions and this was in a place that still showed the ugliness of a previous forest fire several years ago.. There was probably a fire ban in that area at that time also...to each his own..but anyone who builds a fire that burns the woods down is financially responsible and rightly so..just my 2 cents worth..

Images

I like the idea of fires as well, but when the day is winding down I usually find myself too tired to take the time to build and watch a fire.
    T-Shirts for hikers: www.trailthread.com

You should only build fires in established fire rings at designated camp sites (usually at shelters and if fires are allowed, there will be a fire ring).

You will occasionally find fire rings along the side of the trail in random places. DO NOT use these and if you have few minutes, dismantle it and spread the rocks around so others do not use it either.

And most importantly, don't make a new fire ring ANY WHERE! (with the possible exception of if it is needed to save your life, but that would be an rare and extrem situation)

On the AT in April down south, somebody will go to the effort of making a fire at every shelter. That time of year, it usually isn't too hard to find wood, even in heavly used areas, due to all the freash downed tree limbs from the winter storms. Its those who show up later in the season who have to drag wood from aways for a fire.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Default Maine

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    You should only build fires in established fire rings at designated camp sites (usually at shelters and if fires are allowed, there will be a fire ring).

You will occasionally find fire rings along the side of the trail in random places. DO NOT use these and if you have few minutes, dismantle it and spread the rocks around so others do not use it either.

And most importantly, don't make a new fire ring ANY WHERE! (with the possible exception of if it is needed to save your life, but that would be an rare and extrem situation)

On the AT in April down south, somebody will go to the effort of making a fire at every shelter. That time of year, it usually isn't too hard to find wood, even in heavly used areas, due to all the freash downed tree limbs from the winter storms. Its those who show up later in the season who have to drag wood from aways for a fire.
    This is pretty much the rule in Maine with a few exceptions.
    Life is what happens while you are making other plans. John Lennon

I have hiked 1100 miles on the AT over the past decade and in those several hikes have only built a fire once. As others have said, I find that I am usually too tired at the end of a long day of hiking to want to fool with it. That, added to Leave No Trace reasons make it just not worthwhile, IMO.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jedeye View Post
    I like the idea of fires as well, but when the day is winding down I usually find myself too tired to take the time to build and watch a fire.
    I feel the same way. I can warm up much faster and with less effort by climbing in my sleeping bag. Swarms of bugs are about the only thing that will get me to build a fire, the smoke seems to keep them at bay.

Images

it will tend to be a group effort. some section hikers get there early and stay late and start the fires. help collect wood (unless your 55+) and all enjoy the fire with others.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

i have always been a big fan of camp fires, but when im backpacking i usually use my stove. Not just because you have to gather wood but the fact that you have make sure its out. This can mean time or even some precious water if your in a hurry. Once my stove if off, its cool in minutes and neatly packed away. I do believe in helping gather if you are planning on enjoying and using the fire. but only in a designated fire ring. To each his own, but within reason.

YES! I think that the energy spent gathering birch bark, twigs, and sticks is repaid by the benefits of a fire. I used to be against the idea, but now I am all about it. I am going to try and attempt a thru hike SOBO this year and cook over a fire almost every single day with a luxury cookware set. Wood is good!

Images

Meh. Fires are overrated.
    -milkman

got soul?

Journal Entries
    Images

Most people find it a chore to collect firewood because they do it badly. Collecting Deadfall is about looking for 1/2 inch in quantity, nothing above 1". I have seen a really good you tube on this, but am about to go to bed. Do what you want and apply good logic, clear the duff, put it cold out and cover with dirt.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

fires are great, i just think there is a right place and time for fires. when im camping i love having a fire, but backpacking its not a necessity.

The great fire conundrum is that most of the time you want a fire it's too wet to get one started easily. I like a fire sitting around in the yard where I can shower and wash clothes but I can't stand that smoke smell the next day and would hate for my tent and hiking clothes to get soaked with it. Gives me a raging headache.
    No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength.

good for bad bug problems and i enjoy, as a section hiker taking my relative time, making a fire for thru hikers

Too much trouble to make a traditional campfire. But a tiny twig fire for cooking can trigger enough of that cozy camping feeling plus it makes very little impact.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by joshua29 View Post
    i am a thru hiker leaving in april from springer to katadyn.i plan on using my tent and stove every night. then i thought how great would it be to sit by a fire and warm up on cold nights and save fuel. what are the rules with fires on the at. i love nature and want to keep it as natural as possible,so does this mean no fires. i dont know please share the rules and regulations with me,but also the proper etiquette
    Building bonfires are a good upper body workout. Here's how I get my workout

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++