WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default When did Leki's warranty become garbage?

I had a warranty issue a while ago and they made it right.

This past weekend I bent a pole after sinking waist deep into a bog at Dolly Sods. I sent them pictures and filed a warranty claim - they told me to bend it back.

Apparently, their new policy only covers breakage. Not sure how someone would actually break an aluminum shaft.

Journal Entries

Waist deep in a bog? Ugh!! Can't imagine that was any fun!
    I have a pair of Leki poles. Bent one once and they sent replacement parts promptly with no resistance. If they've changed their policy, that's disappointing. My poles have had a lot of use, and when I'm ready to replace them, I want a good warranty.

Everyone bends and then re-bends their Al poles. Al bends, that's the point.

Leki ignored my claim or chose not to act upon it.

I hope your experience is better than mine.

TF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    Not everyone. I don't.
    They also sent me a new replacement pole at no charge once. Several years ago. Great customer service. Hate to think it's gone downhill.

Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    Not everyone. I don't.
    They also sent me a new replacement pole at no charge once. Several years ago. Great customer service. Hate to think it's gone downhill.
    Leki IS awesome - they were able to identify the spacers/adjusters of my ancient Super Makalus right over the phone. But metal bends. And bends back.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    Soft aluminum bends

Hardened aluminum snaps in two suddenly

Ive broken two al poles, not bent, broken, as in 1 piece becomes two suddenly when bent too far.

Just finish breaking the thing and then file your claim. It is very likely to break after bending back because its been work hardened.

Quote Originally Posted by SWODaddy View Post
    This past weekend I bent a pole after sinking waist deep into a bog at Dolly Sods. I sent them pictures and filed a warranty claim - they told me to bend it back.
    Apparently, their new policy only covers breakage. Not sure how someone would actually break an aluminum shaft.
    Sounds like they'd like you to call back in a few minutes after you snap the pole.

They will cover breakage due to user error? That’s pretty amazing. And don’t tell me hiking poles should never break. That’s bogus. If it’s deep in a big and you put a lateral load on it, that would seem to fall well outside the parameters of normal usage.

Images

I sure hope this is not true of Leki. My customer service experiences with them up to this point have been fantastic! I have broken a pole and a flip lock and both times they overnighted me the replacement parts with no questions asked.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tundracamper View Post
    They will cover breakage due to user error? That’s pretty amazing. And don’t tell me hiking poles should never break. That’s bogus. If it’s deep in a big and you put a lateral load on it, that would seem to fall well outside the parameters of normal usage.
    Exactly because they are only made for conditions normally found in hiking which would never include being anywhere near such a bog as trails are not built there, well I guess in hiking one may encounter such a bog, because trails are placed their sometimes, so yes hiking sticks should be able to take the activity of hiking, which I have to admit could and does include bogs. If they were not made for hiking trails then perhaps they need to sell them as walking sticks, but I have to admit if they are made for hiking they should work in such condition as one can normally expect on trail.

On two separate occasions I have had an outstanding customer service experience with Leki. Both times I had a split on the lower section of a pole. They sent me a replacement pronto. No hassles. I have nothing but praise for Leki. I hope this is an anomaly or misunderstanding.
    More walking, less talking.

I just checked the original packaging on my 9 year old Leki Super Makalu poles and it clearly states that the shafts are guaranteed for life against breakage (carbon fiber for 1 year). So it looks like their warranty policy has not changed at least in the past 9 years. You make be unhappy with your situation but Leki has not given you the shaft (pun intended).
    More walking, less talking.

Leki's warranty has been against breakage and NOT bending since I've been using them as of about ten or twelve years ago.

First point: Why replace a perfectly straightenable pole if it is not broken? I've straitened many a bent aluminum poles with no issues other than it took care to get the pole section truly straight again so it slid in and out without extra friction. I still use a pair of Black Diamond poles that I bent the lower section on (a good 45 to 90 degrees) on the first day of a week long trip. I straightened it up enough bending it backwards over my knee to keep hiking that day. I played around getting it better when we stopped for the night so I could collapse the pole. Then a couple hikes later, I got annoyed at the friction when trying to collapse the bent section, so I spend a few minutes rolling the pole lection on my table to see the bends remaining and bent it over my knee again until it was perfectly straight . . . that was at least 5 years ago. Poles are still going strong. Heck, the work hardening has probably made them stronger.

Second point: Straighten the darn thing to the best of your ability. If it breaks, Leki will replace it hassle free.

Third point: If you crash your car do you expect the car company to replace your car free of charge? We are way, way, way spoiled in the outdoor industry!
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    Exactly because they are only made for conditions normally found in hiking which would never include being anywhere near such a bog as trails are not built there, well I guess in hiking one may encounter such a bog, because trails are placed their sometimes, so yes hiking sticks should be able to take the activity of hiking, which I have to admit could and does include bogs. If they were not made for hiking trails then perhaps they need to sell them as walking sticks, but I have to admit if they are made for hiking they should work in such condition as one can normally expect on trail.
    If you want carry a stick of rebar it'll work under almost any conditions. The problem is people want to carry things that are light. Light and strong don't go together well.

I think poles stand up to normal hiking use ok. But not heavy loads from falls etc. my couple of broken poles resulted from my feet slipping out from under me on slick rocks and all my weight coming down on the pole planted at an angle under me.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    Leki's warranty has been against breakage and NOT bending since I've been using them as of about ten or twelve years ago.

First point: Why replace a perfectly straightenable pole if it is not broken? I've straitened many a bent aluminum poles with no issues other than it took care to get the pole section truly straight again so it slid in and out without extra friction. I still use a pair of Black Diamond poles that I bent the lower section on (a good 45 to 90 degrees) on the first day of a week long trip. I straightened it up enough bending it backwards over my knee to keep hiking that day. I played around getting it better when we stopped for the night so I could collapse the pole. Then a couple hikes later, I got annoyed at the friction when trying to collapse the bent section, so I spend a few minutes rolling the pole lection on my table to see the bends remaining and bent it over my knee again until it was perfectly straight . . . that was at least 5 years ago. Poles are still going strong. Heck, the work hardening has probably made them stronger.

Second point: Straighten the darn thing to the best of your ability. If it breaks, Leki will replace it hassle free.

Third point: If you crash your car do you expect the car company to replace your car free of charge? We are way, way, way spoiled in the outdoor industry!
    Short answer: Every time you bend it, it becomes weaker. That means it will bend easier and further the next time. A good makeshift solution, but not long term.

UPDATE: After another exchange (and contemplating breaking the damn pole section in the garage), the customer service rep said she would send me a new pole section. So...my confidence has been somewhat restored.

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Waist deep in a bog? Ugh!! Can't imagine that was any fun!
    I have a pair of Leki poles. Bent one once and they sent replacement parts promptly with no resistance. If they've changed their policy, that's disappointing. My poles have had a lot of use, and when I'm ready to replace them, I want a good warranty.
    Every time I go there I ask myself what I was thinking. There are some fun sections of trail there, though.

How bad is it, post a photo of the bent section here if you don't mind. I have broken an aluminum pole section more than once, hike enough and it can happen.

Short answer: Every time you bend it, it becomes weaker. That means it will bend easier and further the next time. A good makeshift solution, but not long term.
    SWODaddy, you'd better brush up on your aluminum metallurgy. Your statement is absolutely false.

There is a reason that the highest end, high stress, aluminum parts are cold forged. Straightening a bent pole is cold forging it, in a way. It will become stiffer and less likely to bend further again, but, at the same time, too much bending and it becomes brittle and may break. Most trekking poles could be made "stronger", but the cost would be that a high stress event would be more likely to break the pole which is a much harder thing to repair on the trail than a bent pole.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++