WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images

Arrow How to get wife off back so I can hike?

I am a section hiker who has been doin it well before I was blessed with the wife and children. Man oh man, I can't do **** any more. For me to get out on a hike requires an act of congress. It's not like my wife does not understand- we got engaged on the AT at Bear Rocks in PA. I know good things come to those who wait, I read " Zen 24/7", I know having a 2,4, and 5 yr old is hard. But I work hard and am well behaved. JFC.

So this post is part toung and cheek, and part ***. Let it be a lesson to all of you young bucks, kids change everything. I do look to the future of raising little hikers. They can already hike farther than any other kids I know. Life is really good. Just needed to blow off some steam. Hike on friends

Quote Originally Posted by keepinitsimple View Post
    I am a section hiker who has been doin it well before I was blessed with the wife and children. Man oh man, I can't do **** any more. For me to get out on a hike requires an act of congress. It's not like my wife does not understand- we got engaged on the AT at Bear Rocks in PA. I know good things come to those who wait, I read " Zen 24/7", I know having a 2,4, and 5 yr old is hard. But I work hard and am well behaved. JFC.

So this post is part toung and cheek, and part ***. Let it be a lesson to all of you young bucks, kids change everything. I do look to the future of raising little hikers. They can already hike farther than any other kids I know. Life is really good. Just needed to blow off some steam. Hike on friends
    This is why those who can do such things like long section hikes or thru-hiking are usually either younger or are older retired folks. Those in their middle years who are heads of households, working, raising children, paying bills, etc...find that to do the things they enjoy doing like hiking takes extra effort as free time tends to become elusive. I know for myself I had planned to thru-hike in 2009 and decided to wait as I am also raising a child and I just seemed to not be able to make the hike happen. For me I just have been too involved with other life issues. Try to plan to set aside for yourself the time to be able to go hiking. It may be you just simply need to plan some personal time into your busy schedule to do the things you enjoy to do, like hiking. I can't at this time do my thru-hike, like I want to, but I still find the time to go on dayhikes with my young son, who I may add loves to go hiking with his dad, and of which I thoroughly enjoy. Who knows, maybe someday we will even go thru-hiking together!.

I have been told that divorce usually allows people to go their own way.

Images

Let her go on a 1 week vacation, alone or with friends, to a destination of her choice, while you watch the kids, and don't call her cell and bother her every day.

A trip to the urologist and a few years time will cure the small children situation.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Camping Dave View Post
    Let her go on a 1 week vacation, alone or with friends, to a destination of her choice, while you watch the kids, and don't call her cell and bother her every day.
    Brownie points

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Brownie points in modern usage are a hypothetical social currency, which can be accrued by doing good deeds or earning favor in the eyes of another, often one's superior. The origin of the term is unclear.
    Last edited by kayak karl; 03-16-2011 at 19:38.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
    I have been told that divorce usually allows people to go their own way.
    not if you have children......
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

take one or two of the kids with you

or wait until they can read and comprehend, show them this post, and your problem's solved

why don't you bring your wife and kids hiking with you???????

Registered User Northern Lights's Avatar
    Images

Sheesh when will you men ever learn. You married her, and it is now her rightful duty to change the man she married. No more hiking for you!!!

Images

After being married for 23 years and now divorced some people think that marriage gives them the right to take your individuality and pack it in a closet and take control of your life. Marriage can be great and but divorce has freed me. Some women are very good at emasculating their men. Venting is good it helps.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    why don't you bring your wife and kids hiking with you???????

Clearly, you must be single.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

My wife isn't interested in backpacking, but doesn't object to me doing it- AS LONG AS I DON'T HAVE OTHER STUFF I NEED TO DO.
    We've been married 29 years, and compromise works best for us.

Images

I'll sum it up for you in three little words ... hang in there .

Reality : kids do change things , making life more complicated . Having 3 little ones ,ages 5 & under does require tons of parenting -- I'm sure you know that.

~ Does your wife get to do things she enjoys doing w/o the kids ?
    What I'm getting at is that the two of you need to have some "down" time every few weeks or so from your kids.

If your wife likes to hike then she makes this an easy slam dunk. If she would rather do something together that is mutually liked , then alternate between the married couple social outings and each having a weekend to do what each likes to do .
    Of course this providing that your kids are being well cared for by family or friends.

~My wife and daughter just today asked me if I wanted to go hiking this weekend Since there are no work or school obligations , I will be hiking with my wife who really doesn't care to hike ... but will come Saturday because she knows how much I love it . Our daughter ,on the other hand has learned to love hiking , even caught her lecturing to her mom about how she shouldn't wear cotton jeans and how she needs to find else that's lightweight and duo dry material to wear this weekend.

Hike when you can ,man ---Although you do need to balance your lifestyle too .
    Your kids will thank you and hopefully one day surprise you by wanting to go hiking with you. I know mine has . Heck, she even says she's a better hiker than me .

Happy Trails and Good Luck !
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

I know having a 2,4, and 5 yr old is hard.
    Having 3 kids in a span of 3-4 years is anything BUT "keepin' it simple".

Enjoy 'em while they're young. They don't stay that way for long. The time you spend running after them now, will keep you in shape for hiking, later.
    Roland

Images

WOW, Loved the feed back. Thank you. I really feel part of the community.

Just a little more info.....I have been snipped, and I highly rec. that- not as bad as they say.

We are an outdoor family to say the least. Where ever we are my kids often ask " Dad, is this the kind of place we can pee outside at?"

Wife might need some social activities- I am working on that for her. While it is easy to suggest a mother go away for a period of time, I see that very few do. Guess this is the same reason we do not get between a momma bear and her cubs.

Down time for parents is mandatory, yet still hard to find. Balance as someone said is the name of the game.

While I really like small local hikes with my family, I crave the wind on my face high in the mountains. Places where you really earn the seclusion and quiet.

I have been clean and sober for many years and the AT is like a silent sponsor to my program. I will once again approach my wife about once a month day hikes . Thanks for the support.

I have 3 kids and I take them with me but I limit how far I go. My youngest is 3 and he can hike 6 to 8 miles per day

Images

That is amazing milage for a kid so young. He is a little stomper.

Uh, yeah. It's the kids, and you don't get to do what you want until they're older. But wow! When that point in your life comes, you really do appreciate it. I've been married for 26 years. I hiked before I met my husband, and he had interests before he met me. For him, it's track and field. We had some big knock downs, drag outs about all the coaching and running he was doing, to the point where he'd drive an hour from work, coach other people's kids, go back to work, and then come home after our children were asleep. They'd go days without seeing their father even though he was home every night. And I was completely overloaded doing the 24/7 childrearing. I gave up a lot to stay home with the kids, including hiking, and I was very resentful when he continued to do whatever he wanted. We had to reach a balance, which meant he had to quit coaching.

Fast forward... kids in college, hubby runs masters track and field, I go away and hike, the kids stay home and eat our food, drive our cars, and feed the cat. It works out eventually.

Images

Limo, Wow, you hit me between the eyes. I forgot to mention that my wife gave up a career to raise the kids. She was making more than me. We just could not do the day care thing, God bless those who can. She works p/t in the eve now, and I work days. It is a crazy schedule. Kids are the focus otherwise. Thanks for your words.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++