WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tiquer View Post
    Having only been back to hiking just over a year. The lessons I learned

30 years ago, are still true today. My approach is usually to inform them that are
    options for some of that heavy gear. The rest is like teach by example,
    this is what works for me and it might work for them. Many of them get all there
    information from Backpacker mag., Wally world, other inexperienced friends, ect.

I read somewhere, maybe WB, maybe somewhere else, that you can tell someone’s
    fears by the excess weight they carry in there pack. I think this especially true for people just starting.

We as experienced hikers can do a lot to dispel many of those fears and therefore lightening there load.
    I do my very best not to embarrass or ridicule them in anyway.

We were all newb’s once and most of us have carried less than optimal gear

(optimal being relative to person carrying it).

I like that one.... there's a thought.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I don't say anything. I just skip by in my skirt and sandals with my tiny pack and say a cheery hello completely NOT out of breath. Then I take a snack break somewhere and let them come and ask me anything they want. Or not. Either way it doesn't ruin my trip.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

I plan on pushing them and trying to trip them up. With 50-60 lbs unaccustomed pounds on their back they should tip right over. After that they are like a turtle. Either they right themselves and continue the hike stronger for the experience or they spend the night with their soft underbelly exposed to the stars and drop out. It saves everyone a lot of time and is highly entertaining.
    No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength.

"What we carry reflects our fears." Jelly Bean 06

Images

I only have one piece of standard advice for starting thru-hikers:

Don't quit on a bad day.

Everybody has bad days, and we all want to quit. Take a break, get a shower and some good food, and keep hiking. If you still want to quit after several good days on the trail, then it's time.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by Bare Bear View Post
    "What we carry reflects our fears." Jelly Bean 06
    maybe for jelly bean

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    maybe for jelly bean
    Agreed...if what we carry reflects our fears then a fortiori the person who carries nothing must have no fears...of course that person may also be found dead somewhere in the Whites...

Images

I thru-hiked in 88. Year after Nat. Geo did an article on thru-hiking the trail. Lots of inexperienced hikers out there that year. Many that had never backpacked before. After a few days on hiker with enourmous pack came into Gooch gap Shelter cursing his pack weight. When I asked if he had backpacked much he replied no but he had read a lot of Ed Garvey books. I helped him trim some weight. He had a full industrial first aid kid, big bath towel, brand new top of line Silva compass complete with leather case. I suggested ditching the case but keep the compass untill he said he didn't know how to use it. When I asked why he had it...because it was on list of essential items to take.

Yet many of these novices made it to big K. The ones that learned & adapted.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++