WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Cotton?

Cotton is one of those lessons you sometimes have to learn the hard way but these folks here are steering you in the right direction. Get yourself some pants that are made out of nylon or some other synthetic fabric and some wool socks. Not only do "hiking pants" dry way quicker but they are also lighter, more comfortable, breathable, and usually even provide uv protection. You can get a pair for 40-50 bucks if you look around. Even just for dayhikes these two items will make a difference in your enjoyment. Especially the socks! I was amazed when I first started wearing smartwool socks. They are super comfortable, keep your feet dry, and they keep the stink away due to their natural anti-bacterial properties.

Does anybody remember fish-net underwear as the base layer? I actually had a pair. As for cotton, I would say that it would probably mold if taken out for very long. Good advice above and only one slam. Not bad.

litefoot 2000

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    ...The motto that I always heard and follow is, Cotton Kills.
    Yeah, I hear that. Though I've been wearing cotton on and off the trail for 81 years and I'm still alive.

Cotton kills in freezing and near freezing temperature during and after rain storms that occur when you are not wearing proper rain gear. In other circumstances cotton ranges from mildly inconvenient to ideal hiking clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    Yeah, I hear that. Though I've been wearing cotton on and off the trail for 81 years and I'm still alive.

Cotton kills in freezing and near freezing temperature during and after rain storms that occur when you are not wearing proper rain gear. In other circumstances cotton ranges from mildly inconvenient to ideal hiking clothing.
    Cotton (when wet) can also lead to hypothermia in surprisingly warm temps.

Feathered friend to all. Penguin's Avatar

I do say I find a thick button down white cotton shirt really nice for day hiking the Grand Canyon in the summer. Though of course I have seen the thermometer at the bottom reading 137° in the shade at the same time.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nufsaid View Post
    Cotton (when wet) can also lead to hypothermia in surprisingly warm temps.
    Maybe. I've never happened to experience it. Perhaps you can provide us with some real life examples.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by litefoot 2000 View Post
    Does anybody remember fish-net underwear as the base layer? I actually had a pair. As for cotton, I would say that it would probably mold if taken out for very long. Good advice above and only one slam. Not bad.

litefoot 2000
    In all my decades, I've yet to experience a moldy cotton garment. Tell us of your experiences, if any, with moldy cotton.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick500 View Post
    It's just that it takes forever to dry once it gets wet. And it gets wet very quickly.
    Well, I hiked in winter using cotton underclothes for 20-25 years. I sweated often while hiking, but the moisture seemed to exit quite quickly once I stopped.

My winter hikes almost always involved stopping in late afternoon and building a fire. My cotton tee shirts always seemed to be dry when we finally gave up chatting around an impromtu fire -- typically 9-10 p.m -- and going to bed.

Feathered friend to all. Penguin's Avatar

For whoever is interested in a safe healthy hike. Please do not listen to any ones advice saying cotton is ok. It is not. It is a horrible fabric that has no place on a trail that isn't an extremely hot desert day hike. Please do your self a big favor and say no to cotton. It can seriously kill you. People who say it's ok are seriously giving you the wrong advice, whether out of ignorance or negligence, it is very bad to suggest cotton is ever an ok fabric to wear on a long distance hike. Do yourself, your family and the local rescue team a big favor and get synthetic quick dry fabrics.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    For whoever is interested in a safe healthy hike. Please do not listen to any ones advice saying cotton is ok. It is not. It is a horrible fabric that has no place on a trail that isn't an extremely hot desert day hike. Please do your self a big favor and say no to cotton. It can seriously kill you. People who say it's ok are seriously giving you the wrong advice, whether out of ignorance or negligence, it is very bad to suggest cotton is ever an ok fabric to wear on a long distance hike. Do yourself, your family and the local rescue team a big favor and get synthetic quick dry fabrics.
    Whatever. I remember when the experts recommended cotton. Until 60 years ago + or -, there were no synthetics. But I and most of the hikers from those decades have survived. Even Henry Thoreau lived through years of cotton -- until finally succumbing to TB at home.

Images

PLEASE don't do it. I lead an all-women hiking group and I preach and preach against cotton, right down to socks. It's Dead Man's Clothes for a reason. Not to mention the chafing, the weight, never drying out. My husband and I travel overseas a lot and we NEVER take jeans or anything else in cotton. We take only what can be washed up in a sink or tub and will absolutely dry overnight - and it all works best for day hikes and sightseeing. I lectured against cotton on one of our first hikes and one lady wore cotton socks....and was blistered on both heels within the first 2 miles. The cotton wore right thru. I don't even wear cotton panties, only microfiber. My husband buys the men's travel briefs for our trips and for hiking.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Whatever. I remember when the experts recommended cotton. Until 60 years ago + or -, there were no synthetics. But I and most of the hikers from those decades have survived. Even Henry Thoreau lived through years of cotton -- until finally succumbing to TB at home.
    I also used to backpack in cotton. And I am still alive. As well as "most" of the hikers that used cotton. I have had a bad experience with hypothermia when I and a companion had our cotton get wet. I learned a lesson that I will never forget. Thank goodness I had a wool shirt to change into. Today there are many more suitable fabrics than cotton for those that run a risk of getting wet for an extended time. Cotton is great and I still wear it. Just not when venturing into the outdoors for extended periods.

I respect my elders. But I also get weary of those that give bad advice.

Then, by all means, you should definitely wear cotton. But I still think my pot is the blackest.

litefoot 2000

I respect my elders. But I also get weary of those that give bad advice.

Should have said dangerous advice. I can tolerate bad advice.

Images

Should have said dangerous advice. I can tolerate bad advice.
    It's what I call a bad case of the "By God's" as in By God in my day.....!"
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Quote Originally Posted by rhapsody98 View Post
    Anything but the coldest temps. I've hiked in layers, granted it was only about three miles, but still, I had on one pair of cotton socks and one pair of fleece socks in my boots, my jeans, a cotton t-shirt under a cotton hoodie, with my heavy winter coat over top, and a fleece hat, and cotton gloves. I stayed warm, and I did notice the cotton was damp with my sweat, but never got beyond that, and was dry by the time I got home, (less than 15 min drive.) So I guess the answer is yes, cotton is bad for over-nighting it.
    Remember, on the AT you won't have a 15 minute drive home. You'll be stuck in your cold wet cotton clothing for days and days. Do you really want to roll out of your nice warm bag and put on cold wet jeans? Do you really want to watch your cotton t-shirt rot away against your back? What happens if you have to cross a deep stream or walk through wet bushes near the end of the day? Things won't always be perfectly planned so you can be dry right before bed time.

Cotton is only good in arctic conditions and desert conditions. Everywhere else there are better fabrics, such as synthetics or wool.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post
    It's what I call a bad case of the "By God's" as in By God in my day.....!"
    My generation has to deal with the trauma of getting the car keys out of the hands of loved ones when they are a danger to the public. Does this need to be expanded to an ISP account?

Journal Entries
    Images

I would suggest looking for truth in what Weary says. In whole or in part, its there.

I think it goes with out saying that the problem is not cotton per se, but rather wet cotton, right?

But what of the alternative? Is a wet poly propylene shirt or pair of nylon pants much safer?

To my way of thinking a wet cotton shirt or pair of pants and a wet poly shirt and pair of nylon pant are equally dangerous. To my way of thinking neither has much insulating value. I don't buy into the idea that body heat will dry out the synthetics in real life, life threatening situations along the Trail.

That's not to say that the poly shirt wont dry out fast when the sun comes out, and may not offer advantages. Synthetics are great. It is to say that by and large wet fibres will suck the heat out of your body whether they come from a plant or an oil field.

But man made materials provide warmth even when wet you say! I'll buy that. But I will also wager that Weary and Thoreau and other complemented their cotton items with other fibers like wool.

I would also wager to say that Weary and other wise hikers came to realize the importance of dry clothes over clothes technologies, and that served them well.

Cotton doesn't kill. Wet cotton might, but so too would wet poly and nylon. As for cotton killing a thru hiker over the the life of the trail, I have never heard any reports of that. Anyone else? In fact, I have never heard any reports of a thru hiker ever perishing on the AT from hypothermia at all.

I will resist the temptation to cite other killers (not cotton) on the AT, and leave that for another thread.
    Last edited by rickb; 03-19-2011 at 19:51.

I've been in the mountains on a 90 degree day, a rain storm came over the mountain and the temps dropped 25 degrees very quickly. Some nearby hikers wearing cotton shorts and tee shirts nearly froze. The combination of wet, wind and cotton can cause hypothermia quickly, even in the dead of summer. In hot weather I wear cotton tees, but always, and I do mean always, have a synthetic thermal shirt and a marmot precip jacket on hand. If WWII solders in Europe/Germany/Russia had worn cotton instead of wool it would have been a very short war.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++