WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Unhappy Delta lost my backpack

Every hikers worst fear. Well it's not lost, thank God, but delayed. 3 days

I planned on beginning today but because Delta swapped my baggage tag, I cannot. I arrived yesterday, and Delta informed me my backpack would arrive at Hiker Hostel overnight so I could begin hiking. When it wasn't here this morning I called and was informed that Delta had given my bag to FedEx last night to deliver since I was over 70 miles away from Atlanta. I checked online and am in fact 66 miles away and the owners told me Delta delivers delayed baggage here all the time (and that only 1 or 2 other people have ever NOT had their baggage by the next day). FedEx doesn't deliver on weekends so now I am stuck until my bags arrive Monday.

I was very upset, and couldn't help but cry on the phone when the representative told me my backpack wouldn't be here until Monday. I have never had any problems with Delta. I'm going to go to Traildays or whatever is going on here, but am sad all my friends will be 3 days ahead of me.

with a case of blind faith
    Images

I know it seems bad this moment but the important thing is what happens after you get your pack. This short delay could set you off on an even more remarkable hike than you could have had leaving right now. Chill for the time being. Happy trails in a bit!

Silver lining: you'll get to meet an awesome group of people that you would've missed if you had started 3 days ago.

Be careful not to overdo by trying to catch up to your original group. It would be even worse to have to leave the trail because of a self-induced injury by trying to go too fast, too soon.

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

I don't think I would use Delta anymore....Other than that..all you can do is wait for your gear to arrive..then enjoy your hike...

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Believe it or not, there are reasons things happen. That's the way I have to look at it. I was supposed to start my NOBO hike on march 1 but couldn't 'cause of illness. I began march 5 in superb weather and met terrific hikers on day one that helped us those first few days. So relax. Enjoy the trail day fest. I'll bet there are great new buddies waiting for you on day one.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    Silver lining: you'll get to meet an awesome group of people that you would've missed if you had started 3 days ago.

Be careful not to overdo by trying to catch up to your original group. It would be even worse to have to leave the trail because of a self-induced injury by trying to go too fast, too soon.

great great advice.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Three days is no time.
    Don't sweat it and enjoy the downtime!

Great. I am flying Delta to ATL on 04/21 to start for nine days. What pack do you have and did you check it?

Default Agree Agree

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    Especially shin splints caused by rushing down hills.

I know it doesn't seem like it now, but once you're into your hike, 3 days isn't all that much. Hikers stop and go along the entire trail. You will meet awesome hikers. Won't see them for a while and then, bingo... At a shelter or in a town there they will be. They will say something like, "Hey... We were just talking about you. Wondered if you were ahead of us or behind us." You'll say it too about those you've met. Happens all the time.

Hiking the Appalachian Trail truly is one of the great American adventures.

On your mark... Get set...
    When you get to those unexpected situations in life where it’s difficult to figure something out, just ask yourself, “What would MacGyver do?”
    See ya!
    Rickles McPickles

Images

Quote Originally Posted by LoneRidgeRunner View Post
    I don't think I would use Delta anymore....Other than that..all you can do is wait for your gear to arrive..then enjoy your hike...
    Might as well say "I don't think I would fly to Atlanta anymore".

Images

D amn
    E veryone's
    L ate
    T o
    A tlanta

~20 flights in the past 6 months & many are late

BTW, I carry my packs on. Gear is too expensive to replace & lost packs = no hike
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

^^^If you use them, was there a problem carrying on hiking poles?

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wcgornto View Post
    Might as well say "I don't think I would fly to Atlanta anymore".
    I wouldn't fly to Atlanta...I'm only 250 miles away and by the time I drove the 2 hours to the nearest airport and went through all the security crap..then catch the plane I can drive there just as quick and cheaper..and no lost or delayed gear..

Not from Chicago.

Images

Chin up and dry those tears!! If this is the worst thing that happens on your trip, then it is indeed, a damn good trip!!!
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Somebody on the PCT-L said that a starter gun like you use for the start of a footrace is considered a weapon so if you put one of those in your pack and declare it, they'll take extra special care not to lose your baggage.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

I would never trust an airline with my pack. Always send UPS or FedEx. That said Monday will come and until then you get to relax and meet people. I'm having issues programming my GPS and running out of time. Nothing you can do but do what you can.
    No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength.

Default yeah reasons things happen....

Believe it or not, there are reasons things happen. That's the way I have to look at it. I was supposed to start my NOBO hike on march 1 but couldn't 'cause of illness. I began march 5 in superb weather and met terrific hikers on day one that helped us those first few days. So relax. Enjoy the trail day fest. I'll bet there are great new buddies waiting for you on day one.

This incident is the beginning of a great story full of PUDs literally and figuratively. This is page one of your adventure. Have a wonderful time
    Those that danced were thought mad by those who could not hear the music. George Carlin

I know no one wants to think it, but really check over your gear when you get it Monday. Make sure that you know what you would need to file for lost and/or damaged luggage.

Good hike!
    ~ For indoor or outdoor use only.

http://www.jonpearsall.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++