WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Default Drinking Water for Hiking: Myths and Facts

I am not young enough to know everything.

aka Kudzu
    Images

Interesting. I've just been looking at leaving my Hiker Pro behind in favor of AquaMira or the MicroPur I have. My main concern is some of the mud holes I've had to suck water out of. It'd take me forever to fill a bottle w/o a filter. You don't always get a nice source you can scoop water out of.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Quote Originally Posted by JaxHiker View Post
    Interesting. I've just been looking at leaving my Hiker Pro behind in favor of AquaMira or the MicroPur I have. My main concern is some of the mud holes I've had to suck water out of. It'd take me forever to fill a bottle w/o a filter. You don't always get a nice source you can scoop water out of.
    I drank out of a mudhole once in N.H., untreated/unfiltered. It was the worse water I've ever drank, left a slimmy feel in my mouth, but I'm still here to irritate the hell outta all you guys

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I knew my coffee drinking was good for me:

"Proponents of the dehydration myth commonly claim that alcoholic and caffeinated drinks "don't count," because alcohol and caffeine dehydrate you. In fact, beer consumed in moderation has a hydrating, rather than a dehydrating, effect,[Valtin 2002] and laboratory studies have shown that caffeinated soda is just as hydrating as water, i.e., the diuretic effect of the caffeine is too small to measure.[Grandjean 2000] Even in the case of coffee, which has much higher concentrations of caffeine than soda, studies going back as far as 1928 have shown that the diuretic effect vanishes for people whose bodies have learned to tolerate the caffeine.[Eddy 1928]"

I found it odd the recommendation for stream vs lake water, and especially avoiding the surface of the lake water. In a stream, there is potential for upstream contamination. This is especially true if the stream is actually an outlet for a pond, marsh or lake. Of course spring fed streams are ideal! regarding lake water, if the water is calm the sun's uV will penetrate the top few inches of the surface disinfecting any possible contamination. I found that portion of the article odd since it was the portion which had zero source citations and interestingly, the only portion which contradicts my experience and research. Even though I do not treat my water, I do not try to convert others, I try to keep it as low key as possible. I was brought up drinking backcountry water straight from the source. I learned what to do and what not to do. i also believe my gut flora is not just used to the microorganism commonly found out there, but is indeed made up of them. The more and more we learn we find that not only are almost all these bacteria, etc... harmless but many are beneficial and (I think) necessary.

Journal Entries
    Images

John where did you chop that out of?

I watch a group of guy guzzle coffee each morning and down beers at night, like on a carousel they can't get off of.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by SouthMark View Post

The article speaks about NOT washing hands in water sources, I would guess this also applies to cookware, underwear, footwear, pets and yourself. If you confront someone doing this prepare for the canned reply: "this little bit of soap won't hurt anything"

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JaxHiker View Post
    Exactly....a good case for taking a filter / pump... I've had to get water from sources way too difficult to dip out of many times... Of course every one could save a pound of weight by leaving the pump / filter at home and just carry all the water you'll need with you ..LOL...I think I'll take my filter and have water when the source is a wet spot in the ground..

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    John where did you chop that out of?
    From the OP's link http://www.lightandmatter.com/article/hiking_water.html

Third paragraph from the top under the title: Myths about hydration

aka Kudzu
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LoneRidgeRunner View Post
    Exactly....a good case for taking a filter / pump... I've had to get water from sources way too difficult to dip out of many times... Of course every one could save a pound of weight by leaving the pump / filter at home and just carry all the water you'll need with you ..LOL...I think I'll take my filter and have water when the source is a wet spot in the ground..
    Yeah, that's my concern. Just because it's a spring doesn't mean it's flowing like a mighty river. Last thing I want to do is push my lips into the mud trying to suck the water up.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

on my thur-hike I really never filtered spring water and I used a drop of bleach per litter to filter everything else unless I was in a cow field then I would use two drops. I never had any issues with it. Also unless I was in PA I never really carried more than 1.5 litters at a time. anymore than that was usually pointless, I found that I only needed 1 litter of water for every 5 miles.

oh yeah I also chugged a litter in the morning to make up for the night

as a wise ridge runner once said "u should always filter ur water" as we drank right out of the spring ... i never realy filterd springs never had issues... pumpd creeks and such tho..... once my pump broke i used a piece of cloth sketchhhyy but it workd i was fine.

:banana

A guy I hiked with (the majority of the time) would just shake his water bottle. He claimed it confused the giardia. He carried a hiker pro but he was just too lazy to get it out and use it. He never did get giardia though.

I'm not saying people should do this, I just thought it was funny.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil View Post
    oh yeah I also chugged a litter in the morning to make up for the night
    good plan ..much better than what I tried once...I chugged a litter before sack out time to make up for the day and then was aiming at my pee bottle half the night instead of sleeping..

Images

[QUOTE=JaxHiker;1117363]Yeah, that's my concern. Just because it's a spring doesn't mean it's flowing like a mighty river. Last thing I want to do is push my lips into the mud trying to suck the water up. [/QUOTE

me either

i drink every source every day allways have. never filtered or treated. carry a filter to get at hard sources. drank the ti river once.straight up. neat.
    matthewski

drank un treated maine pond water once tasted off ..but workd out good

great water article southmark!

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by russb View Post
    I found it odd the recommendation for stream vs lake water, and especially avoiding the surface of the lake water....regarding lake water, if the water is calm the sun's uV will penetrate the top few inches of the surface disinfecting any possible contamination....
    I've heard this recently, too, and found it interesting to think about. I don't know how old this article is. It may predate the latest thoughts. I'm adverse to pond scum, but have drunk it in emergencies with no ill effect. I carry Aquamira in cattle country, but generally, thanks to articles like this one, I don't treat water either. And I do pay more attention to food handling, hydration, and personal hygiene.

In the last couple of decades, I've met as many city folks (and pet dogs) diagnosed with giardia as I have hikers, so from my experience the article seems correct overall.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SouthMark View Post
    Too much common sense in that article. It'll never catch on.
    Me no care, me here free beer. Tap keg, please?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++