WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Airplane: Carry on tent poles

I am going on a car camping trip later this May. We will be bringing our sleeping bags, sleeping pads, tent and clothing onto the airplane. (Eating mostly at restaurants or buy a small cooler when we land so consumables is not an issue. Can we carry on those items mentioned above? Are you allowed to carry on tent poles and tent stakes?

Thanks

Pickles

Images

Default no.

Furthermore, you cannot bring anything that looks like "parachute components" in carry-on without delays. Been there...

Journal Entries
    Images

As I plan my trip to the islands, its the fuel that might pose the problem, (pressurized)

What are you taking?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

No fuel needed since we will be at campsites with pits or eat at restaurants

Just UPS it. Cheaper, easier and no one is going to question it. With the way the TSA works you might get through with no trouble, you might get through by being searched with accompanying massive delay and you might get stuck with an agent who says you can't take the tent on board.
    No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength.

The rules seem to be interpreted or enforced depending on the agent or the airport. So even if your interpretation of the rules on the TSA site or anecdotal evidence indicates certain items may be allowed, don't count it.

Images

Don't. Look. like. a. Backpacker.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

I would say play it safe and check a bag for anything you might get held up for at security.

Journal Entries
    Images

Hiked through Death Valley and Joshua Tree after flying across the US. Just declare what you are taking and check in the bag. I believe they charge now for the large plastic bags you can stuff your pack into. Fuel is a no go, even empty canisters. Checking your gear in the easiest way to go and buckle and tighten up the straps. Happy travels!
    It is not the destination but the journey.

Default Yes!

Last week I flew one way with a tent as carry-on without any issues. I didn't even think of stakes as being an issue at the time, but no one had a problem with it, so it wasn't an issue.

That being said, all the equipment you listed sounds like a bit much to fit in just carryon, you might want to yield to the wisdom of others here and just check it.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Put all your stuff in a big duffel bag and check it. No issues. We flew to Utah.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I plan to check mine in two weeks when I hit the PCT. As a trained killer I always ask myself "Could I kill someone with this"? and if the answer is yes then I check it.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by fredmugs View Post
    I plan to check mine in two weeks when I hit the PCT. As a trained killer I always ask myself "Could I kill someone with this"? and if the answer is yes then I check it.
    So, no newspapers or magazines? Or ball point pens?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Llama Legs View Post
    Furthermore, you cannot bring anything that looks like "parachute components" in carry-on without delays. Been there...
    It's a good thing MC Hammer wore his parachute pants in the early 90's instead of nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by kombiguy View Post
    So, no newspapers or magazines? Or ball point pens?
    Nope. Can you even bring a pen on a plane? I could crush your skull in with my laptop.

Seriously - I'm hoping I can bring my tent (minus the poles, stakes, etc), sleeping bag, and inflatable mattress onboard. I have two weeks of hiking planned plus a week of "work" after that so I plan to use my pack as a my carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by fredmugs View Post
    It has been my professional experience that anyone who refers to themselves as a "trained killer" is more likely a trained BS artist.
    Just my opinion.

Every Marine is a trained killer. Just ask any of us.

Pilgrim of Serendipity

Last September I bought the Jet Blue All-You-Can-Jet pass and did a week-and-a-half airplane odyssey that took me through nine airports, twelve states, Puerto Rico, Canada, four rental cars, two ferries, and ten flights on two airlines (JetBlue and one Southwest flight). To save money, I packed everything in a single carry-on backpack, including a two-person tent (complete with aluminum poles and stakes) for the nights when I could camp out instead of staying in a motel.

It really never occurred to me that a tent could cause problems with airport security, and it never did. The only problem I hit at a checkpoint was in Puerto Rico when my roll of laundry quarters apparently looked like a knife on the X-ray machine. The guard opened my bag, saw what it was, and waved me on.

It was an epic adventure and I'm so glad I got to do it. Truthfully, I only ended up camping three nights, and one of those (northern Washington state) was so cold I ended up sleeping in my rental car. I had three nights where I stayed with friends and relatives as planned, one night actually on a plane, and then there were a couple of nights where I sprang for a hotel when I had meant to camp... once because I wasn't feeling well (after the night on the plane) and once because I got there too late to get in the campground. All that to say, flying and camping can be a tough combination, especially in unfamiliar areas. But it's definitely doable, especially if you're flying to one place and staying several days.

One nice thing about having all your gear with you in the airport: you can make yourself comfortable if you're stuck. One of my flights was delayed for several hours, so I "set up camp" in an out of the way corner with my air mat and sleeping bag, and got in a nice nap. If I'd been stranded overnight, I swear I would have just pitched my tent there!
    Deuteronomy 23:12-13 "Designate a place outside the camp where you can go to relieve yourself. As part of your equipment have something to dig with… dig a hole and cover up your excrement."

++ New Posts ++