WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Default What is the best TRAIL MAGIC you have ever had?

I was wondering, what is the best trail magic you have ever had? What would be the perfect thing to encounter- something that would just make your day perfect? (I'm planning some TM for the summer)

Burgers and beer are a given, but is there any weird standout from previous trail magic that you loved and remember? Like a bowl of fresh fruit, or something you didn't know you were craving until you had it? Chairs?

And anyone who just wants to share their random trail magic stories just for fun, go ahead.

PS- I agree that things like "a dry sleeping spot on a rainy" day are trail magic, but those things don't help me too much.
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

Images

PPS- I already thought of trailside manicures as a weird add on, but A: I don't feel a serious desire to touch other hikers' feet, and B: Would hikers want that? A foot massage and all, most definitely... As long as I had some intense disinfectant, it might not kill me.
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )

Images

If you're actually going to be present, a basin to wash laundry in would be nice.
    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."

-Bob Dylan

Found 4 Coors Lights sitting in the Stan Murray shelter, still cool. My trail buddy and I split them. Worked out perfectly due to the spring being dry.

Unexpeceted acts of kindness are the best trail magic. These often occur when you need it the most.

Like when I broke a toe fording a stream bare foot in the 100 mile wilderness and was having a hard time walking a few days later. Just as I was wondering how I was going to be able to make it the rest of the way, I found a hiker feed going on at Lower Jo-Mary lake.

Somewhere down in Virginia, a day hiker once asked me if I needed anything from town. When I said "always", he gave me his car keys!

Finding cold drinks in a stream is always nice.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Trail angels who offered their home, their dinner table, and slackpacking was a blessing for me. Happened several times on my SOBO hike

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

2010 complete

a can of deet found in the wilderness in June was providential trail magic.

Images

After reading glen's thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=71031) I was thinking that maybe it would be best to do some trail magic in the pre-season, when it's a little more sparse.

I personally didn't experience a bunch of people set up with grills because I started so early, but apparently a lot of people behind me did.

I came upon a cooler at the top of a mountain in VA somewhere on a very hot day. It was filled with Nehi Grape and boy was it good. I couldn't get my fill for the rest of the hike.

litefoot 2000

never accepted trail magic. I carry all my own stuff, don't need someone else to give it to me.

Images

I was taking the Kimsey Creek trail back to the campground to meet my husband when I came out at a road crossing and was having a very hard time finding the trail. This was in November when there was hardly anyone on the trail but a few southbounders. Just as I was starting to panic, a guy drove up looking for the trailhead at the Gap. I showed him where it was and he drove me to Rainbow Springs campground (when it was still open) Worked out great!! Now THAT is magic. Not these hiker feeds or coolers left by the trail.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

I agree that the very best trail magic is when someone gives you a ride when you need it, and even better when they take care of you personally. Difficult to do that to very many people, however, so if you're looking to put up a sort of trail magic station somewhere in the woods, then ...

I personally have never been a fan of beer as trail magic, but I know that some like it; it's hard to find something that's universally the "best".

Cold drinks, certainly, soda pop (not diet!) and gatorade or the like, and note that the latter are good in that the hiker can carry it away and perhaps leave an equivalent container behind.

Definitely a garbage sack, hikers always like to leave their trash behind, ideally more than just what the trail magic generated.

High caloric junk food with lots of sugar and fat in tempting configurations --- doughnuts, candy bars, etc. Whatever will keep in current conditions and you can buy in bulk on sale.

For the AT, water doesn't really count as trail magic, at least for me it's not something desireable unless in some pretty rare situation.

Fresh fruit is always wonderful. Ditto easy-to-eat vegetables, like carrot sticks and the like. Less of an issue on the AT where resupply is closer together than on other long trails, but always appreciated anywhere.

Definitely visit your t.m. station often enough that it's not "just an empty cooler" for too long. There are few things more demoralizing to have your mouth watering for a cold drink or the like and open up the cooler to find nothing but empty cans and the like.

A few lawn chairs to stretch out on and relax while eating/drinking --- that would be kind of kush.

Cheesy, perhaps, but either in person or written down something about how impressed you are with what they're doing, how excited you are to be following various journals online, etc --- anything like that to make people feel that others care about what they're doing and so they can "feel the love". Great trail magic ultimately is about something beyond the tangible goodies, it leaves the hiker feeling sort of mentally uplifted afterwards.

Perhaps study the trail just north and south of your t.m. site and put up a map and note any special issues or worth while side trips or anything like that in the vicinity if applicable, plus a "you are here" pointer. Certainly not necessary but again, nice.

Site your trail magic such that folks have to walk a ways from a road to get to it or see it (of course). Also don't site it close to anywhere that most people will be going off-trail. The best trail magic is at places where the hiker hasn't been off trail for a while and won't be getting off trail for a while. It's a lot less appealing when you've just got back on trail, scrubbed clean, belly full of town food, food bag heavy in your pack.

Thanks for considering this, Shlep! I meant to do some on the PCT after my trip there but ended up "giving back" in other ways instead. A big hat tip and thank you to all who offer trail magic of whatever form.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Quote Originally Posted by BrianLe View Post
    I agree that the very best trail magic is when someone gives you a ride when you need it, and even better when they take care of you personally. Difficult to do that to very many people, however, so if you're looking to put up a sort of trail magic station somewhere in the woods, then ...

I personally have never been a fan of beer as trail magic, but I know that some like it; it's hard to find something that's universally the "best".

Cold drinks, certainly, soda pop (not diet!) and gatorade or the like, and note that the latter are good in that the hiker can carry it away and perhaps leave an equivalent container behind.

Definitely a garbage sack, hikers always like to leave their trash behind, ideally more than just what the trail magic generated.

High caloric junk food with lots of sugar and fat in tempting configurations --- doughnuts, candy bars, etc. Whatever will keep in current conditions and you can buy in bulk on sale.

For the AT, water doesn't really count as trail magic, at least for me it's not something desireable unless in some pretty rare situation.

Fresh fruit is always wonderful. Ditto easy-to-eat vegetables, like carrot sticks and the like. Less of an issue on the AT where resupply is closer together than on other long trails, but always appreciated anywhere.

Definitely visit your t.m. station often enough that it's not "just an empty cooler" for too long. There are few things more demoralizing to have your mouth watering for a cold drink or the like and open up the cooler to find nothing but empty cans and the like.

A few lawn chairs to stretch out on and relax while eating/drinking --- that would be kind of kush.

Cheesy, perhaps, but either in person or written down something about how impressed you are with what they're doing, how excited you are to be following various journals online, etc --- anything like that to make people feel that others care about what they're doing and so they can "feel the love". Great trail magic ultimately is about something beyond the tangible goodies, it leaves the hiker feeling sort of mentally uplifted afterwards.

Perhaps study the trail just north and south of your t.m. site and put up a map and note any special issues or worth while side trips or anything like that in the vicinity if applicable, plus a "you are here" pointer. Certainly not necessary but again, nice.

Site your trail magic such that folks have to walk a ways from a road to get to it or see it (of course). Also don't site it close to anywhere that most people will be going off-trail. The best trail magic is at places where the hiker hasn't been off trail for a while and won't be getting off trail for a while. It's a lot less appealing when you've just got back on trail, scrubbed clean, belly full of town food, food bag heavy in your pack.

Thanks for considering this, Shlep! I meant to do some on the PCT after my trip there but ended up "giving back" in other ways instead. A big hat tip and thank you to all who offer trail magic of whatever form.
    real trail magic isn't planned or set up or left you're just talkin' feeds not needs

The best trail magic for me is the unexplainable stuff -- the magic. Like leaving a spoon at a shelter and having there be a new one at the next shelter. Or finding a stake on the ground when you are setting up your tent and realize you are missing one. Stuff like that.

But the best human trail magic was provided by George and Murray Ann Zeigenfuss who pulled over near Atkins and drove me the whole way back to Damascus for Trail Days with a stop at one of the prayer services at Hungry Mother State Park. The sunset, the covered dishes which George made sure I had first crack at, the wonderful company. Unexpected and generous. Perfect.
    Yahtzee

2010 complete

Quote Originally Posted by redeye View Post
    never accepted trail magic. I carry all my own stuff, don't need someone else to give it to me.
    The ice cream in NH was a nice touch.

Some of the best stuff left trailside that I remember included:

Fresh fruit and soda with caffiene in it.
    Soda at the Oregon border with an encouraging message in the trail register.
    A cooler full of snicker bars in Oregon! Thanks, Irish!!
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Feathered friend to all. Penguin's Avatar

Just past Mojave River Forks dam, a very nice lady had some lounge chairs and root beer floats for hikers. Best magic ever? Maybe... Oooh first time I got to the Hikers Oasis cache and found 50 gallons of water soda and beer that was awesome magic. Oooh how about in Etna when a local grower handed me an ounce of awesome medicinal grade cannabis. That might have been the best trail magic ever..... Oooh forgot about the Jello No Bake Cheesecake I got on my 30th B-Day at Death Canyon Creek in the southern sierra, after hiking without water for hours. Ok that might be the best magic ever. Too bad Rockstar didn't come up and camp by us. She needed Cheesecake too.

Images

Gadget- great feedback, thanks very much!

Piper- fresh fruit, definitely- I always forget how much I crave fruit when I'm hiking.

Thanks everyone for your feedback! (Feedback on feed...)

Images

I never heard the term "Trail Magic" until I came on this forum... but then I really haven't hiked on the AT since I left the East in 1980.

In June 1977 a friend and I flew to Atlanta to hike from Springer Mountain north on our HS summer break. We had to hitch-hike from Atlanta to Amicalola Falls... no small feat for a couple of Connecticut Yankees with long hair. We had beer bottles thrown at us, obscenities hurled. It was a long, hot afternoon trying to get just ONE ride out of Atlanta.

Finally, a mail man pulled up and asked where we were going. We told him. He said "hop in." He explained his work day was done and he needed to go home first, then HE WOULD DRIVE US ALL THE WAY TO AMICALOLA FALLS!

We got to his house, met his wonderful family, and everyone including the dog hopped in the station wagon to make the trek north. We got there late in the evening. They gave us some food and well-wishes.

I don't know what trail magic is, but I do know what the actions of a real Christian man are... and that mailman and his family were it.

I don't remember his name, or even what he and his family looked like, but I remember his actions from that day to this.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

On the AT? Seeing a sunset near Franconia Ridge after many days of rain.

Sodas, food, rides, etc are nice.

But the real trail magic (to me anyway) is the sheer joy of being on the trail itself. The magic of the trail is being in the mountains for months on end, seeing the natural world one step at a time, smelling the pine duff on a sunny day, being lulled to sleep by the sound of a rushing brook.

That's trail magic.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++