WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    That's fine, just sick of hearing how America is addicted to fossil fuel and that America needs to switch to a more environmentally-friendly energy source from people that readily give money to big oil just to hand out a few sodas to a bunch of people that really don't need it.

It's not America that's addicted to oil, it's us. It's just funny how many people talk badly of America's addiction, yet they are just as quick to drive all over the place. And the prius-type drivers do more than make up for their great fuel efficient cars.

Don't we love our cars.

P.S. I don't know if this applies to you, but it definitely applies to many who do TM and those that are quick to slackpack and do other things not needed (just a want), yet those actions need much energy consumption.

The truth can really suck sometimes.
    I knew it!
    All this Trail Magic is just one of "Big Oil's" many plots to gain world domination

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I was amazed to read the amount of trail magic this year. One hiker described 5 acts of trail magic in his first 5 days. It's not only at road crossings but seems to be at every shelter in Georgia. Years ago I used to be one of the few people to give out food on a weekday in March. Now I feel I may be ruining the experience. I think I may have joined the "you should provide for yourself and skip trail magic" group. Never thought that would happen
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    that's not trail magic. they're just feeds. hikers have food in their packs. they don't need to be fed. especially down south
    true, true. if you want real trail magic, hike southbound, it happens far, far less frequently.

i don't think i'd want to thru hike with a cookout at every road crossing & shelter.
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

Quote Originally Posted by tiquer View Post
    I knew it!
    All this Trail Magic is just one of "Big Oil's" many plots to gain world domination
    No plots; no conspriacies. Our individual wants require energy use so there's no need make the market fertile; it may not be a renewable energy source, but it is a renewable thirst. What hikers do is just one drop in the bucket, but our drop is just as dirty as everyone elses. We don't get brownie points for being hikers.

What's that sayin', Death by a thousand paper cuts...

http://bamahiker.blog.com/ Freedom Walker's Avatar
    Images

[QUOTE=john gault;1140360]No plots; no conspriacies. Our individual wants require energy use so there's no need make the market fertile; it may not be a renewable energy source, but it is a renewable thirst. What hikers do is just one drop in the bucket, but our drop is just as dirty as everyone elses. We don't get brownie points for being hikers.

With the price of gas continuing to rise, our gasoline consumption will drop. Mine has already. Hate it or not we need energy to get to work, and to drive to the Appalachian Trail. I guess that is one way to lower traffic on the AT.
    Freedom Walker, I am free to Walk, I am free to Run, I m free to live for You Lord Jesus, I am FREE!

He who the Son sets free, is free indeed.
    Visit my blog Free To Hike

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bearbag View Post
    and i drive a big old gas guzzling made in USA vehicle. Drill baby drill!
    That's certainly the prevailing view. Whatever is easy now, the hell with the future.
    Last edited by weary; 04-07-2011 at 22:30.

This is awesome.

No plots; no conspriacies. Our individual wants require energy use so there's no need make the market fertile; it may not be a renewable energy source, but it is a renewable thirst. What hikers do is just one drop in the bucket, but our drop is just as dirty as everyone elses. We don't get brownie points for being hikers.

What's that sayin', Death by a thousand paper cuts...

Huh???????? I guess im too drunk to smell this chicken.

Nothing says you can't just keep on truckin. Course you should smile and wave as you pass, that's just being "Southern" of course. Some folks even decide to skip the shelters. Hey man it's a hike, everyone should just walk their own style. : )

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nearly Normal View Post
    This is awesome.
    hahahahahhahahahhaha
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Options View Post
    Nothing says you can't just keep on truckin.
    That's what I do, keep on truckin'
    I don’t accept “trail magic” anymore. Actually I stopped after only a few times of participating in 2006, when I was first introduced to this practice. I refused to accept a ride to someone’s house that was serving everything a hiker could want -- eggs, pancakes, sweet buns, fruits, jucies… I just got sick of being interrupted in my hike; I really do believe “trail magic” is more for the giver than the recipient.

I subsequently talked to a few of the hikers that accepted the ride/“trail magic” and it turns out that they had to listen to a sermon by some pretty serious holy rollers before being fed – I thought that was funny.

Like I said, I now do not participate in “trail magic”, but when I say, “no thanks”, that’s not the end of it. People ask me, “are you sure?”, “it’s free.”… It can be very annoying and it continues when I meet back up with the other hikers and they ask me more questions, trying to understand why I don’t want it. It’s kind of like the same experience when a drunk(s) wants you to drink with them, as if they can’t enjoy themselves unless you sit there and drink with them – freakin’ pathetic.

When you say, no, you’re looked at as some kind of freak, really annoying. However, I understand that this practice is here to stay and I’m a minority in the AT community WRT this issue, so I won’t really debate it anymore. I’ll just have to resign myself to appearing as a weirdo when I refuse “trail magic”. An example of AT’ers not accepting diversity in opinion when that opinion seems to be so strange, in their view, thus they treat minorities, such as me, with disdain.

Journal Entries

That's what I do, keep on truckin'
    Well, I must confess that when someone offers me something sweet, on a hot, or on a warm -- or cold -- day, I tend to accept. Not with any pride. Just with a recognition, will power has its limits.

But from time to time I refuse the offered goodies. I wish more would do so. It is truly destructive of what the trail should be -- and used to be.
    Last edited by weary; 04-04-2011 at 20:19.

Long time lurker - probably cranky from not hiking lately, but this topic gets to me as a dedicated provider of treats and vittles.

So long as people are free to walk the AT, people will be free to provide trail magic/charity/feeds along the way. Some of us enjoy doing so. Hikers are free to refuse.

Some will choose to spend their time and money on the trail, some will choose to spend their time and money feeding strangers.

People who believe that their personal conception of the A.T. experience is the only one valid for everyone fits the three major terms that float around "trail magic" threads - 'entitled', 'pathetic' and 'preachy'.

theres a guy on ebay seeking the ultimate trail magic
    only starting at .99cents, you could win the chance to pay for his thruhike
    looked up appalachian trail on ebay and couldn't believe it!
    i usually just worked and saved up money for my trips

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RamblinRob View Post
    So long as people are free to walk the AT, people will be free to provide trail magic/charity/feeds along the way. Some of us enjoy doing so. Hikers are free to refuse.
    But everyone has a right to an opinion on this subject, correct?

And while hikers are free to refuse the bounty brought by others, it will change their hikes in some small way whether they take it or not, no?

Personally, I don't want to bring change to others on the AT who are in the middle of their hikes. I still think the Trail has enough to offer that RickB handing out beer and burgers won't be a net benefit to many (most) who I would meet. And I have been practicing my stories long enough that they would surely impress.

But in the end its not any one person's good intentions that will have any measurable impact on the character of OTHERS thru hikes. It is the collective weight of a many people's actions who might have an impact.

Is my opinion valid for everyone? No. But then again I won't be driving my car hundred of miles or more to interject/impact anyone else's journey (for good or bad).
    Last edited by rickb; 04-07-2011 at 19:51.

You're showing our age Options. "Keep on Truckin." Lets resurect the Tshirt
    Those that danced were thought mad by those who could not hear the music. George Carlin

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RamblinRob View Post
    Long time lurker - probably cranky from not hiking lately, but this topic gets to me as a dedicated provider of treats and vittles.

Some will choose to spend their time and money on the trail, some will choose to spend their time and money feeding strangers.

People who believe that their personal conception of the A.T. experience is the only one valid for everyone fits the three major terms that float around "trail magic" threads - 'entitled', 'pathetic' and 'preachy'.
    This is what bothers me the most about trail magic, so called. The practicioners don't seem to realize that it has nothing whatever to do with whether a hiker stops and partakes or not.

Nor is anyone questioning your right to do so. It's not against the law, at least in most towns, on private property and at most road crossings.

But the practice is essentially selfish, changing the nature of the trail itself, in order to achieve a few feel good hours. Those who think otherwise, thruhiker or no, simply fail to understand what makes the trail unique.

"Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Appalachian Trail beckons not merely north and
    south but upward to the body, mind and soul of man," said Harold Allen, one of the early AT volunteers. His wisdom was quoted by Myron Avery at the 1952 ATC conference, shortly before his death.
    Last edited by weary; 04-07-2011 at 23:01.

It just seems like some of you just don't get it. Times change and so does the trail. Face it. It isn't the 1930's, 40's, 50's,60's, 70's, 80's or 90's. It is 2011 and the world is different now. You want to keep the trail from changing? Trail Magic in ANY form is not the problem. Stop building housing plans in the country. Stop building roads where they are certainly not needed. STOP BUILDING WAL-MARTS!
    The people of this country build civilization closer and closer to the trail every year then complain about too many people out there doing the wrong (untraditional) things on the trail. If you want the trail to be as wilderness or just as isolated OR just rural as it was in the beginning...you would have to move it to Canada. I admire the loyalty of all on this thread arguing about rights and wrongs but to all, realize...times are changing and so is the trail whether you want it to or not.
    In 1990 I remember crossing 1 old grown in logging road in the 100 Mile Wilderness.
    In 2002 I watched several of my fellow hikers slack pack the entire section. The most "wilderness" of the AT is NO LONGER WILDERNESS. Hot dogs, burgers and beers won't change that for the better or worse...it is just how our country progresses.

geek

Images

Bill Bryson says that when Earl Shaffer did his first thru more of the AT was on road walks and there were more backcountry general stores and small restaurants where Shaffer could eat than in the present day. It seems that the trend is, as more and more small businesses lose out to chains and as the AT Conservancy succeeds in consolidating the trail corridor, the trail keeps getting further and further from businesses that can provide sustenance to hikers.

This isn't a reference to trail towns. They're probably not going away any time soon. But as car ownership becomes closer and closer to 100 percent in rural areas, it becomes ubiquitous for people to drive to far away commercial strips where they likely will patronize a chain fast-food restaurant. There's no market for small-scale rural businesses anymore, no more, or far fewer, of the little stores people run out of the front room of their houses.

Does anybody know the quote I mean from Bryson? Page number?

If Bryson is right, the people who put on feeds might just be filling a need that was once satisfied by the small businesses close to the route of the AT in the 40's and 50's.

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Things just ain't how they used to be ... and never were.
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post
    It just seems like some of you just don't get it. Times change and so does the trail. Face it. It isn't the 1930's, 40's, 50's,60's, 70's, 80's or 90's. It is 2011 and the world is different now. You want to keep the trail from changing? Trail Magic in ANY form is not the problem. Stop building housing plans in the country. Stop building roads where they are certainly not needed. STOP BUILDING WAL-MARTS!
    The people of this country build civilization closer and closer to the trail every year then complain about too many people out there doing the wrong (untraditional) things on the trail. If you want the trail to be as wilderness or just as isolated OR just rural as it was in the beginning...you would have to move it to Canada. I admire the loyalty of all on this thread arguing about rights and wrongs but to all, realize...times are changing and so is the trail whether you want it to or not.
    In 1990 I remember crossing 1 old grown in logging road in the 100 Mile Wilderness.
    In 2002 I watched several of my fellow hikers slack pack the entire section. The most "wilderness" of the AT is NO LONGER WILDERNESS. Hot dogs, burgers and beers won't change that for the better or worse...it is just how our country progresses. geek
    I'm certainly aware that times change, but it's not always progress. I can't control the building of Walmarts, though I got a few White Blazers upset by pointing out that all things at Walmart are not as inexpensive as they may think. Nor can I change population trends, or the desire of people to live in the suburbs.

But I still find it useful to build trails and work to make land available for the public to use. I can't donate much money because I don't have much money, though my wife and I manage to donate to our two land trusts from time to time. One land trust seeks to provide buffers for the trail in Maine. The Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust has purchased the summit ridge of Abraham one of the highest mountains of Maine, and part of the slopes of Saddleback. We are working to preserve other land in the high peaks section of western Maine.

Are you suggesting geek that because we can't provide buffers for all of the AT in Maine, protecting one mountain was unwise. That we need to recognize change is inevitable. That the so called wilderness is no more. That we should just recognize Maine's woods industry is dying. That we should let the condominiums take over.

I have found that just speaking out sometimes helps a little. One of the parking areas that serves one of our town land trust preserves was getting trashed. I posted a sign saying simply "Carry in, Carry out." People laughed. Don't you know society has changed? they asked. "No one will pay attention." But they did. Litter declined 90 percent.

I don't anticipate slowing the growth of unwise trail magic, by 90 percent, or by any percent. We'll just have to see.
    Last edited by weary; 04-08-2011 at 00:51.

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++