WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rambunny View Post
    It leads to entitlement issues later.
    For some hikers it certainly does !!!!
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Images

Indeed. I was taking a break at the road crossing with "1,000" painted on it. I was pretty embarrassed when another hiker flagged a vehicle down and asked for a cold soda.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    I agree.
    To my mind "Group feeds" are Trail CHARITY, not trail magic.
    Trail Magic on the other hand is, at least to me: offering a tired camper your left over hot water so he/she can have dinner a bit faster. The tourist who tosses a hiker a apple & says "Have a nice hike". The local who gives a group of smelly hikers a ride into town on a rainy day just because he was goin that way. THAT is magic! 2 weeks of planing is nice, and I'm sure further from the starting point they are very well appreciated, but that isn't magic. I for one will not turn down Trail Charity, but it doesn't give the same warm feeling as the spontaneous acts of kindness that is "Real" trail magic.
    Very well said.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    For some hikers it certainly does !!!!
    You know, now that I think of it, I really wanted Chunky Monkey when I stayed at your hostel, and all you had was Americone Dream. I think you should do a better job in accomodating thru hikers.

On the PCT I got embarrassed with myself when I started looking forward to road crossings and felt disappointed when there was no cooler waiting for me.

My second time around I a) hiked the northern portion of the trail and b) hiked it outside the herd and I found a lot less trail magic. When I found a cooler just past the Oregon border it was the first such cooler my entire trip and it really warmed my heart. It had a register inside that said "Celebrate reaching the Oregon border with a cold one on us!" I was feeling really lonely and reaching the Oregon border had been such a huge milestone for me and I had nobody to share it with and suddenly here was this inanimate object making me feel so much less alone. I really did celebrate with a cold one!

That experience was so much different from the constant coolers of the southern portion of the trail when I was hiking within the herd. That entitlement mentality was creeping up on me because I was expecting and looking forward to a cooler at every road and feeling almost angry or at least annoyed when there wasn't one. I felt ashamed of myself.

From the sounds of it, there are so many of these coolers and hiker feeds and parties and stuff that I think I wouldn't even look forward to a cooler on the trail. I would probably start walking by most of them with a lack of interest, or possibly annoyance at the intrusion.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

I'll let others decide good or bad, but last year the first weekend in April there were grills set up at Cooper Gap, Gooch Gap, and Woody Gap.

neither. just a waste. hikers ain't even got an appetite yet and it's trainin' them for future handouts just for bein' on vacation. weird

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Hike SOBO and there ain't nuthin. That's the direction to go for the trail hardy. NOBO is for whimps.

(kidding. Actually I loved going both directions. I just love the AT and the people I meet)

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Journal Entries
    Images

I saw a box chained down south from a church group going SOBO; only one I'd seen since Hanover, NH. It was like heaven. I ate four of those greasy donut-like things. Had a great mileage day too

Hiking Blog

Journal Entries
    Images

That's why I like setting up in SNP at the end of May for the hiker picnic. The hikers then hadn't gotten anything in weeks (probably since the Bland area). I had hikers I saw up in NH and ME recognize me after that feed last year. It was fun

Hiking Blog

Feathered friend to all. Penguin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Here's a post from March 18, 2011

"We ended up having a very fun night last night at the Low Gap Shelter. Some previous thru hikers packed in around 300 beers as well as about 150 hot dogs."

I guess they are taking it off the road and to the shelters now.
    Sounds like some nice people. If hikers don't want to experience a party, they should just not stay at that shelter. An additional half mile of walking would take the hiker away from noise and leave them a peaceful solo night. The shelters are for whoever feels like using them in any manner. Not just for through hikers. It would be nice if no one else used them, but who would even consider not allowing others in a shelter. No one could enforce it either. Better to hang out with a dude with 300 beers, then not I say.

Though I've only ever spent 1 night in a shelter, that was on my 2nd PCT through hike in Oregon, just past Dead Indian rd. Taught me that one little mouse can really aggravate 2 people. Though after hanging my backpack from a hook and line the mouse was ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I was amazed to read the amount of trail magic this year. One hiker described 5 acts of trail magic in his first 5 days. It's not only at road crossings but seems to be at every shelter in Georgia. Years ago I used to be one of the few people to give out food on a weekday in March. Now I feel I may be ruining the experience. I think I may have joined the "you should provide for yourself and skip trail magic" group. Never thought that would happen
    SOLUTION! Hike SB

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    Hike SOBO and there ain't nuthin. That's the direction to go for the trail hardy. NOBO is for whimps.

(kidding. Actually I loved going both directions. I just love the AT and the people I meet)
    Apologize for the redundancy. SHoulda read through the thread

Images

Last year I hiked from Dicks Creek to NOC. There was a couple waiting at a road crossing because they were helping friends slack pack (which is kinda lame IMO, but thats a different thread). They offered us soda's and we accepted. Nice couple no harm.
    Walked just past the road, and some idiot left a ziplock bag full of goodies with a note offering the candy to any hiker who wanted it.

If you just gotta do magic, stay with your stuff. Do not leave stuff in coolers, streams, or zip lock bags. Its not magic, its litter. Litter puts me in a foul mood.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I agree that's not trail magic. Trail magic is when the other person involved does not know that what they are doing is trail magic. It sometimes does not involve another person. It's an act of serendipity on the trail when what you needed appears just when you needed it most.

These food events and coolers on the trail aren't trail magic unless you stumble into one completely unaware just when you were worrying that you might run out of food or water or were feeling totally lonely. (It sounds like there is little opportunity on the AT to know what any of that feels like. Too bad.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    I agree.
    To my mind "Group feeds" are Trail CHARITY, not trail magic.
    Trail Magic on the other hand is, at least to me: offering a tired camper your left over hot water so he/she can have dinner a bit faster. The tourist who tosses a hiker a apple & says "Have a nice hike". The local who gives a group of smelly hikers a ride into town on a rainy day just because he was goin that way. THAT is magic! 2 weeks of planing is nice, and I'm sure further from the starting point they are very well appreciated, but that isn't magic. I for one will not turn down Trail Charity, but it doesn't give the same warm feeling as the spontaneous acts of kindness that is "Real" trail magic.
    Agree with these sentiments.

The best Trail Magic I ever received was when a hiker behind me found my pole tip in the mud, caught up with me on top of the mountain, and held it out "this yours?"

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    neither. just a waste. hikers ain't even got an appetite yet and it's trainin' them for future handouts just for bein' on vacation. weird
    And a bit pathetic. Both on the part of the givers and the takers.

I am not opposed to anyone who wants to give away free stuff to hikers, if they get spoiled from handouts, just lock your food in the trunk when you leave your car. I have seen on a couple of occasions where a couple doing the handout thing talked a guy into going to a local clinic for some much needed medical attention, they gave him a lift, and I imagine they waited to see if he needed a lift back. Another time a girl had twisted her knee to the point of hobbling, we had been trying for days to get her to have it checked, another trail magic family we ran up on insisted in giving her a lift to the bus station to return home. Sometimes it good to have a pleasant social along the trail, gives one an ego boost and you make new friends. So, if some hikers get spoiled, tough, at least it isn't hailing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    The bears have to work harder for their food than some NOBO hikers in Ga.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

+1 sassywindsor
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

This is turning into an annual debate.

A few quick thoughts.

Trail magic at Trailheads and parking lots is fine;anyone claiming this damages
    their "wilderness" experience should probably be hiking out West somewhere.

Trail magic or big feeds/parties in shelters is another story.

As to how to deal with it, I was raised in Boston, but I bet it's pretty much the same everywhere: Someone offers you something you don't need or you're not interested in, you simile at them, say "No, thank you!", and you keep walking.

Not that complicated and not that big an issue. A grill or a cooler in a roadside turnout or parking lot is not a world crisis. You're not thirsty or don't like burgers? Well, walk on by, dude, it's that easy.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++