WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Limeman View Post
    @ChinMusic: Looks like Nemo sells extra Jake's Feet. On their webiste, for $5 each. They are out of stock as of now, but good to know you can purchase extra!
    They say they don't break but I think I will take advantage of that anyway.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Agreed. Seems like a very inexpensive, lightweight and simple bit of security.

I do love the fact that not only do they read the posts but that they answered the questions and addressed what was asked. Customer service like that is hard to come by.

Images

Great discussion here guys, and I really appreciate the NEMO folks responding on their own blog... I'm looking for a bomber 1 person tent and have narrowed it down to the NEMO Obi 1P or Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1... this will be to replace my much liked but mildly mitigated Black Diamond Firstlight.

Wonder when the "Elite" version of the Obi 1p will be available stateside?

Anyone seen a review on the Elite?

I'll be taking the NEMO to Michigan next weekend, my first chance to take a trip with it. I plan on taking it from Erwin to 19E just before Trail Days and have it set up at Trail Days.

I'll be in the Trail Talk camp if anyone wants to check it out. Just ask for Chin.

Just got back from the Manistee River Trail (Michigan). Had a nice set of storms last night. The Obi didn't flinch. I had the attic vents fully open and with the strong winds not a drop came in the tent. The vestibule remained dry.

I played around with using a trekking pole across the front corners. It worked in keeping the corners taut. In the pic (one with the fly) the stakes are not doing the work.

I would suggest two longer stakes than what comes with the tent for the vestibule stakes for sandy soil. Manistee is very sandy.

Notice how taut the front is in this pic. There is absolutely no flapping that was a concern on my first setup. First night no rain so no fly.

Got tested with some storms on night two. Tent performed beautifully.

Thanks Limeman and Chinmusic!!! I am looking for a new solo tent your reviews have help a ton. I have got it down to three NEMO Obi 2p, NEMO Meta 1 or BA Copper Spur 1p. Obi 2p would give me 2 doors and more room for only 10 oz. I think will have to go to the local outdoors store to see them in person.

Quote Originally Posted by buzzard8900 View Post
    Thanks Limeman and Chinmusic!!! I am looking for a new solo tent your reviews have help a ton. I have got it down to three NEMO Obi 2p, NEMO Meta 1 or BA Copper Spur 1p. Obi 2p would give me 2 doors and more room for only 10 oz. I think will have to go to the local outdoors store to see them in person.
    How tall are you?

I am 5'11"

Quote Originally Posted by buzzard8900 View Post
    I am 5'11"
    I'm 5'10" and do well in the Obi 2P if I sleep towards the middle or at a bit of an angle. To keep the weight down to 3# NEMO had to slope the side walls. If I am on one side only of the Obi 2P feet hit those sloped walls. If I am towards the middle it is fine. If I were using it with another person those sloped walls in the foot box would bug the heck out of me. If you are intending to use it as a solo you should be golden. If I were choosing between the 1P and the 2P for a solo tent I would prob go with the 2P for the comfort and eat the few ounces of weight difference.

ChinMusic, what would you recommend for a 2P UL for me and my husband? We were narrowing things down to the Obi 2P until I ran across the thread. Any suggestions? He's 6'2", I'm 5'7". Would love some considerable lighter than our 4,6 oz DW tent. Love the tent but want to shave weight.

Anyone else have any ideas??

While I really like the Obi series of tents (the Obi 1P is my favorite single-person shelter right now) I think that at 6'2" and 5'7", you and your husband will be pretty cramped in the Obi 2P. I can suggest instead the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL3. It has a 90" x 66" floor plan, 39 sq ft internal space, and an acceptable vestibule for 2. Weighs 3lbs, 3oz for tent, fly and poles. One door is not quite a convenient as the two of the Nemo, but there is no comparison where space is concerned. If you seek light-weight but still want room, this is the way to go. REI has some good videos and 360 degree views, as well as 7 user reviews - all 5-star rated. Expensive, but might be worth a look.

Thought I'd chime in although this is an old thread. I've tested both the Obi 1p and the Kilo 2p and the Obi 1 is hands down the better tent. The biggest, most important difference between the two is interior space and ventilation which is excellent in the Obi 1p and substandard in the Kilo 2p, which really only has room for 1 person and poor venting, which generates lots of internal condensation.

The Obi 2P is an excellent tent. It's great for solo use. I love it to bits. I used it during my 5 nights Trans Titiwangsa hiking expedition in tropical Malaysia and it performed fabulously. On rainy nights, I will just get dry and comfy in my tent. One vestibule for my pack and gear, and the other vestibule to cook my dinner, make hot drinks etc. When set up properly with everything nice and tight, there's lots of space. I did wish that the tent was at least 6 inches longer though. At 5' 11", my feet are close to touching the back of the tent. But that's partly due to the fact that I'm using the Nemo Cosmo Air mat (I also love this air mat) that lifts me up around 3" off the ground (the higher you go, the slope of the tent body goes inwards ie. slightly smaller space). Super tent, imho. I've used this tent hard in difficult conditions, muddy ground, rocky and rooty ground, rainy weather etc, and it works well. Once you get inside, you'll be comfortable. The 2 vestibules are real useful.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++