WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Will my Katadyn Hiker Pro make it to Maine?

Does anyone know if I will need to change out the filter before I get to Maine, or about how long it might last?

Images

I went through four cartridges on my thru-hike. 600 miles per cartridge seemed about right.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Journal Entries
    Images

I dont know but Know you can get filters from outfitters along the trail...Daleville Va absolutly at the outfitter there...
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

Thank you!

Images

sure - mail drop it now 04982

seriously, I occasionally do week long trips with friends with that filter, but wouldn't consider it for a thru-hike - much too heavy and it WILL clog and the replacement filters are about $25 if you get a good deal. I'd just use aqua-mira and boil your cooking water for 30 seconds or so.

if you insist on taking the filter anyway, get a coffee filter (maybe a few) and wrap it around the pre-filter with a rubber band and if you want to be proper about it, you need to keep the part that goes into your water bottle separated in a zip lock or you will cross contaminate the thing.

Doing all that (and I'm pretty sure you'll ditch the thing before you leave NC) and if you do take it to Maine with you, I'd say your 4th insert will be clogging up somewhere in BSP.

i only used 2 filters per trip
    great filter----have a great hike

2-4 cartridges
    i carried a collaspable waterbag too, i filtered out of it alot! maybe that extended my filter cartridges? have a great hike

I changes it once. So 2 total. Key to longevity is choosing good sources and making sure to use the prefilter most come with where it enters the tube.

Sad fact is, beyond the need to replace the cartridge, is that when I first bought my PUR Hiker filter the replacements were around $21, now they are $39.00!! Say what?

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Sad fact is, beyond the need to replace the cartridge, is that when I first bought my PUR Hiker filter the replacements were around $21, now they are $39.00!! Say what?
    Tipi whats 39.00 bucks compared to that big ass smile on your face, cause your out there hiking, doing what you love, nobody bothering you
    did that help ease the pain
    and don't forget your utlilities are lower at home, when your not there.

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    Tipi whats 39.00 bucks compared to that big ass smile on your face, cause your out there hiking, doing what you love, nobody bothering you
    did that help ease the pain
    and don't forget your utlilities are lower at home, when your not there.
    I know, I'm off the grid and do not suffer from car-gas induced retardation---just white gas addiction

Journal Entries
    Images

If you take your filter and soak it in a baking soda/water mixture for about an hour then rinse well with filtered water or tap water after a week or so of use, then let it air out over night, it won't get as funky.
    alifelongpursuit.blogspot.com

++ New Posts ++