WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Trail name=juggernaut Still a Master of Sarcasm though.

Default Should I take my hearing aids on the trail?

My wife disagrees, but I can hear some without them.

I wouldn't be able to hear some things, like birds, people walking up behind me, most conversations. small aircraft bearing down on me. You know, small things.

I have 20% hearing (80% loss) in my "bad" left ear, and 30%ish in my right.

I know I need them, but I also would have to have them packed away for the most part because they do not play well with water, and cost as much as a new car to replace.

I could use much less expensive headphones connected to an amplifier, but those generally end up with me getting a head ache after awhile.

What is your opinion? Have you done the AT while wearing hearing aids? How did you maintain them?

Batteries should be available about anywhere, and anymore I am getting a month or so out of a single battery, so I don't foresee a problem there. Are there any problems you had that were specific to hearing aids, or with electronics that could be the same a hearing aids?

Thank you for any input.

Brad

Does yours have the remote control on a wristwatch?
    They are very water sensitive.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Trail name=juggernaut Still a Master of Sarcasm though.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Does yours have the remote control on a wristwatch?
    They are very water sensitive.
    That option was much more expensive, these can be controlled with a button on them, an iPod, or Droid remotely. Or I can plug them up to my computer.

I can do without the remote stuff, since the hearing aids change volume automatically for the surroundings.

The manual goes into depth on avoiding water, but I'm wondering if it's prudent to even attempt to take them.

Brad

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

If this were my chance to experience the AT and all its wonders and the people, I'd take a chance and take them. Just put them in a safe place when its raining.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Purchase a $200.00 "Game Ear WC" on ebay. It's a behind the ear type. Top quality hearing aide. Do a google on it.

Take your hearing aides with you. Don't miss out on the sounds of nature.

Journal Entries
    Images

There is a lot of cool, subtle stuff to hear in the wilderness. Even in the still of a winter night, there are sounds to be heard.
    That being said, the ability to turn "off" your hiking partners snoring is a distinct advantage to limited hearing.
    If it were me, I'd take them. Too much to miss.

Images

Without hearing aids you do not have to worry about noisy neighbors in the shelters bothering you.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

What?

But seriously, how much can they weigh? Take them. Use them all day to listen to the woods, take them out at night when you don't want to hear people snoring or bears chewing.

Images

Just a word of caution here. Back in the late 90's I was hiking with an older gent who wore a hearing aid, and at night he always took it out and put it in a cup next to his head while he sleep. That way, he could quickly put it back in if needed and it was always there for him to put in first thing in the morning. We were in a shelter in the Smokies and when he got up in the morning, a mouse had taken the hearing aid (mouse drops all over the place) and he never did find it. He lost a $900 hearing aid that day. Friggin mice will get into everything and take away anything they can carry. Of course, he never heard the mice get into his cup, but those of us that could hear heard mice scampering around all night long.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jbwood5 View Post
    Just a word of caution here. Back in the late 90's I was hiking with an older gent who wore a hearing aid, and at night he always took it out and put it in a cup next to his head while he sleep. That way, he could quickly put it back in if needed and it was always there for him to put in first thing in the morning. We were in a shelter in the Smokies and when he got up in the morning, a mouse had taken the hearing aid (mouse drops all over the place) and he never did find it. He lost a $900 hearing aid that day. Friggin mice will get into everything and take away anything they can carry. Of course, he never heard the mice get into his cup, but those of us that could hear heard mice scampering around all night long.

Good reason to tent if you have expensive stuff like that.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    Good reason to tent if you have expensive stuff like that.
    He was a tenter but was following the rules for the GSMNP. i.e the shelter had space at the end of the day.

If you don't have your hearing aids you'll miss out on most of the social interaction with other hikers when you camp; which many hikers feel is the best part of the trip.

I hope there is some sort of small waterproof dry box that you can feel comfortable keeping them stored in when not in use.

Sure, but you might want to turn it off at the shelters to fade out all the "awesomes and whoa dudes"

Just take one for the bad ear.

I've been happy to hear rattlesnakes.

Take it, or you won't hear them yell "Here comes a bear!"

Quote Originally Posted by jbwood5 View Post
    The same thing happened to a guy at the old Gooch Gap Shelter. Mouse took both hearing aids out of a coffee cup. Probably attracted to the ear wax. He said they cost $2000.00. Expensive lesson.

litefoot 2000

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by litefoot 2000 View Post
    The same thing happened to a guy at the old Gooch Gap Shelter. Mouse took both hearing aids out of a coffee cup. Probably attracted to the ear wax. He said they cost $2000.00. Expensive lesson.

litefoot 2000
    I almost lost one of my hearing aids to a mouse a few weeks ago. It just disappeared from where I had left the two of them next to my computer. I was abput to order a replacement, when I found it a couple of feet away where some creature -- almost certainly a mouse -- dropped it.

Yes, you should take your hearing aids. Just carry an extra few ounces and keep them in a case no mouse could possibly move.

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

As a HOH person myself, I wouldn't be caught on the trail w/o my hearing aids. I always carry them in a container that holds moisture wicking beads to keep them dry. Can't really carry on a conversation w/o them.

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

I hope there is some sort of small waterproof dry box that you can feel comfortable keeping them stored in when not in use.[/QUOTE]

Yes, there is. It can be purchased from any office that sells aids or possibly from a drug store. I own one myself. It's a small white container with a screw on top. Inside is a small pad with moisture wicking beads that keep the aids dry.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++