WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

maybe carry in the tent sack some plugs for lack of better term to put on the tips of the poles-shields maybe, just plastic covers for the sharp pointy end of the tips-an insurance policy when placing the poles?
    Start out slow, then slow down.

Images

Default bathtub floors

Quote Originally Posted by maybe clem View Post
    What's going to matter with that low bathtub is a hard rain coming straight down - not blowing rain. The hard, straight rain is when you'll get splash-up, if any.
    The LightHeart tents all have an 8 inch bathtub floor, the awning tents, have a 14 inch bathtub floor on the awning side. I don't think I consider these a 'low' bathtub floor.

Judy - LightHeart Gear

Images

waitin waitin waitin to see a pic of that x'long solo lightheart,, I know,, closer to Trail Days,,, I'll chill
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dawg View Post
    waitin waitin waitin to see a pic of that x'long solo lightheart,, I know,, closer to Trail Days,,, I'll chill
    Big Dawg, go to my facebook page to see the pix
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/LightH...1864468?ref=ts

Judy

Heartfire, now I wish I was taller. That looks fantastic!
    Nothing says roughing it more . . . than titanium tent pegs.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HeartFire View Post
    Big Dawg, go to my facebook page to see the pix
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/LightH...1864468?ref=ts

Judy
    Thanks Judy,,,, now that's a great looking tent for us tall folks,, and for 1#11oz!!!! Sweeeeet!!!!

ps... sorry for hijacking your thread 10K,,, I'll stop now :-)
    Last edited by Big Dawg; 04-06-2011 at 21:41.
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

Sweet looking shelter 10K. Looks to have better coverage than my Hex Twin but at a slight weight penalty. Enjoy!

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Just another HUGE thumbs up for the Lightheart Solo.
    The cuben model arrived a while back but I was side tracked and couldn't set up and inspect. Now that I have I can tell you this is a primo piece of gear.
    Even with awning and the heavier cuben floor it weighs in at 17 ounce..incredible for a double wall shelter.
    The weight/size/features ratio is the obvious draw to this tent the color of the cuben used is near the top as well-it is a wonderful stealthy green.
    That 17 oz. figure is without the awning pole. As soon as I can I'll get Fibraplex to sub out with a cf pole...but I'd bet most times you could craft what you need from the woods.
    I'm a hanger 99.99% of the time but if I HAVE to carry a tent this is the one.
    Start out slow, then slow down.

Images

that cuben striping pattern looks AWESOME. curious though why you opted for the silnylon floor. everything i've read has cuben to be stronger than sil. ???
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wags View Post
    that cuben striping pattern looks AWESOME. curious though why you opted for the silnylon floor. everything i've read has cuben to be stronger than sil. ???
    I opted for the silnylon floor because it was so much more expensive for a cuben floor and only saved like an ounce or so...

Ditto, same logic for me as 10-K (I too opted for a silnylon floor). Also note that at least some folks say that cuben fabric is more sensitive to abrasion. Not a factor on the tent body, but a potential factor on the floor.

Silnylon worked great for me as the floor of my Contrail on most of two long trails now, so I'm not concerned about it.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Images

ahhhhhhh 10k. that makes sense
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

This tent made me feel like I did when I finally found the ULA Circuit....no more bumbling around trying to find the right gear! I'm done swapping out tents!

In case you care....

Hated to quit carrying my MSR Hubba Hubba cause I loved the roominess and double wall, but couldn't get past the weight.

Switched to a TT Contrail. Loved the weight, but felt claustrophobic and the single wall/condensation issues were always a concern. Became a shelter rat to avoid feeling like I was in a coffin.

Bought a SMD Lunar Duo to replace the Contrail and never even took it on the woods. Roomier, but heavier, and still single-walled. Went back to the Contrail. Planned my mileage around shelters.

And then I found.....the Lightheart Cuben Solo with awning. Less than 20 ounces with a double wall, 2 doors, and an awning that makes you feel like your sleeping with a bay window in your tent! Bring on the rain! I'll still have the view!

I camp to hike, not vice versa, but this tent just might make the camping part of an AT hike fun again!

For all of you out there saying its too expensive....how much do you spend on your cell phone/internet/cable tv every month?!

Woo-hoo! Judy...you rock! No more tent-searching for me!

Images

Default Lightheart

I bought a Lightheart Solo in Franklin, NC early on in my 2009 thru hike.
    The tent has weathered everything! wind, rain, snow. The bathtub floor worked great - I never had any "splashing" in even the hardest of downpours. I LOVE this tent! I hike and camp year round - I work in the woods and the Lightheart is my favorite home away from home.
    I have no idea how many nights I have spent in this tent...how many storms, wind etc. It's 2011 and this tent is still going strong!
    I use Black Diamond trekking poles too (maybe a different kind?) I haven't had a problem with them or the cross brace (haven't lost or broken it yet)
    I marked the poles at the proper distance for use in the tent - I extend one and put the cross brace on it. I put the other side on a collapsed pole and enter the tent with the extended pole first - plop it where it goes and then extend the second pole...I only use two stakes most of the time and will stake out nearest the poles only if it's windy (four stakes max). I can't see myself putting a hole in the tent using this set up.
    - I will get a cuben Lightheart to replace this one.....if it ever needs to be replaced.
    "Going to the woods is going home" - John Muir

"Only by going alone in silence, without baggage, can one truely get into the heart of the wilderness" - John Muir

The first thing I did was put it on my scale: 1 lb 3.5 oz. Weight included EVERYTHING but stakes. - 10-K
    Since this is the UL Forum:
    UMM, not so fast! That's the wt FOR YOUR Lightheart shelter set-up without the added wt of the stakes, in which a minimum of 4 stakes are needed which will add about another 1 oz assuming you are opting for something like UL TI skewer stakes. You noted that 10-K.
    Yes, I know about tying off to rocks and trees and using small sticks or branches as stakes. If someone wants to head out on a long hike and always depend on availability of those things as stakes I wish them luck.
    I'm not picking on you 10-K or Lightheart because I understand some other UL shelter manufacturers do the same thing, but, IMO, a BIG assumption is being made, when the commonly advertised wt of this shelter is quoted.. The assumption being made is that hikers will be using trekking poles to erect this shelter! The wt of trekking poles is never accounted for in the shelter. As an ULer myself, I understand trekking pole wt is not usually accounted for in the shelter wt. The trekking poles wt is usually counted under skin out wt if you are being a fastidious Uler..
    BUT, consider for a moment those who don't or don't always employ trekking poles. NOT EVERY HIKER/CAMPER/BACK PACKER USES TREKKING POLES OR USES THEM ALL THE TIME! I'm one of them!
    I’m thinking of so many past and present hikers, even many long distance hikers, who didn't or don't use trekking poles and succeed at having satisfactory, enjoyable, and UL hikes. I’m thinking about these folks who are in the market for a shelter and want an UL one, basing a significant part of their purchasing decision on commonly quoted UL shelter wts. Lightheart sells separate tent poles for this shelter's set-up. They weigh an additional 8.5, lets just say 9 oz! Add the wt of a minimum of 4 UL TI stakes and the separate shelter tent poles AND THAT'S THE TRUE WEIGHT OF THE SHELTER, FOR ME, AND A WHOLE LOT OF OTHER FOLKS!
    Certainly, even with this added wt under MY typical shelter set-up scenario for this shelter this IS STILL A VERY LIGHT WT TOTALLY ENCLOSED SHELTER WITH SOME DECENT FEATURES/OPTIONS! One of the lightest! Lightheart is making a very light wt practical shelter! Not that you were saying this 10-K, but, it's not quite a 1 lb 3.5 oz shelter for EVERYONE either!
    At the risk of sounding redundant, because IMO, I think some UL companies will continue advertising wts of products under the lowest possible wt scenario as a way of marketing their products and some ULers will continue describing their gear kits under the lowest possible wt scenarios, I'll add, sometimes I use trekking poles. I'm not against them by any means! They provide multiple positives on some occasions, FOR ME, and obviously for others. Some hikers wouldn't hike without them because they provide multiple benefits. While trekking poles OFTEN do double, even triple duty in some UL hiking set-ups, they really are not NECESSARY FOR EVERY hiker on every occasion OR for every ULer on every occasion, despite SO MANY advertisements depicting hikers using trekking poles.!
    It's not my intention to offend or tick off hikers, ULers, or UL gear companies by any means. I've simply grown weary of and find it misleading to have UL gear manufacturers and sometimes well intentioned ULers quoting gear wts or gear kit wts under the lowest possible wt conditions and omitting or not clearly noting the total wt of that gear or gear set-up may be greater under other very possible scenarios!

That's my rant for today.

Heartfire(Judy) or Medicine Man or anyone else who can provide a definitive answer: Looking to be a gram weenie. Can I get Fibraplex poles to fit the Lightheart shelter? If so, what diam. and length Fibraplex shockcorded poles work well with this shelter? Would you know the wt of these poles as compared to the ones sold at the Lightheart website?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post

That's my rant for today.
    I should say!

1 lb, 7 oz *incuding* stakes and stuffsack.

I use trekking poles so dithering about that is a non-starter for me personally.

BTW, I think stating the weight as "1 lb 3.5 ozs including everything but stakes" is very accurate.

What would have been wrong would be to conveniently forget to mention that stakes were not included.

I do think most tent makers list what their tent weights include and exclude on their websites.

Further - stakes weights vary widely - anywhere from super light titanium shepherd hooks to heavy duty snow stakes. I suppose a manufacturer could toss in a few shepherd hook stakes to address your complaint but those stakes are pretty useless in a lot of places.
    Last edited by 10-K; 06-05-2011 at 17:27.

If I were doing a thru this of next season this would be my tent.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

BTW, I think stating the weight as "1 lb 3.5 ozs including everything but stakes" is very accurate.- 10-K

AGAIN, it is an accurately stated wt for the way YOU hike and the way YOU set-up this shelter! No debate from me there!

Not to sound disrespectful of your set-up or hiking style 10-K, but since this is the UL forum where wt issues are open for discussion in detail, what may seem dithering to you IS NOT dithering to those who don't use trekking poles to set-up their shelters!

I think there never has been, at least from my pt of view, an issue about stake wt or what you stated about it!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++