WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Breakfast?

aka -OvertheEdge- :)
    Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, United States
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Stir Fry View Post
    Oatmeal cream pies. There great. One or two in the morning while on the go. No clean up.
    LOVE THEM
    Alcohol was involved!

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    See ya'll on the coronary floor.... You do know you can hike off the calories but the crap still stays in your arteries, right?

That and the sugar crash later in the day. No thanks.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

FBC oatmeal (with raisins and cinnamon and wheat bran), followed by a shake (powdered milk, chocolate whey powder, CIB).

Images

so what about honey buns wrapped in bacon curled up in a pancake pigsinablanket style???.........enough butter and syrup and that should be atleast half your calorie needs for the day
    smitty2.0

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    I mix up a granola with rolled oats, coconut flakes, sliced almonds, dried fruit, a little bran, wheat germ, and powdered milk (and possibly other ingredients as well). I pack this in ziplock bags and eat out of a bowl. Add water, and it's ready.
    damn that sounds good. I've only eaten breakfast one time on the trail, that was a MH scrambled eggs meal. It was decent but not great. Only ate it because I had gotten it for Christmas
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

A bagel, a hunk of cheddar cheese, an apple and a cup of coffee.

Oatmeal is my main staple, but I mix it up by having it different ways.
    plain
    dry with dates
    thick and lumpy
    thich and creamy
    watery gruel
    with extra Salt
    with almonds
    with raisins or currants or dried blueberries
    with whatever trail mix I might have
    with sliced up crab apples
    with spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, whatever

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    A bagel, a hunk of cheddar cheese, an apple and a cup of coffee.
    I think that is sufficient for everyday in breakfast.

In N Out Secret Menu

I've always made up an oatmeal mix using quick oats but last week, I bought a box of oat bran - simple, Kroger brand, no sodium, sugars, preservatives, etc. just 100% oat bran. Directions said to cook for 1 minute but I found simply pouring boiling water in (3-1 ratio, water to oat bran) was sufficient to make a creamy cereal very similar in texture to cream-of-wheat. So now for the Trail, I'll mix the dry oat bran with flax meal, cinnamon or some other spice, walnuts, dried fruit, brown sugar - pour in the water, stir, and eat.

My dad once told me that the only thing that makes something breakfast is you eat it first thing in the morning. Don't be afraid to eat alleged dinners and so-called lunches-- all you're trying to do is have a culinary pleasure that leads you to the trail.
    "We can no longer live as rats. We know too much." -- Nicodemus

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Oatmeal is my main staple, but I mix it up by having it different ways.
    plain
    dry with dates
    thick and lumpy
    thich and creamy
    watery gruel
    with extra Salt
    with almonds
    with raisins or currants or dried blueberries
    with whatever trail mix I might have
    with sliced up crab apples
    with spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, whatever
    you forgot the very best one - mix with big dollop of peanut (or almond or cashew) butter

Images

other breakfast ideas include:

Simple:
    protein shake - pre-add powdered milk and mix with water
    Carnation instant breakfast or Ovalteen
    Cliff Bars (or some other bar)
    instant cream of wheat, grits
    bagels with a little butter or margarine or spreadable cream cheese (lasts a few days)

Medium

pancakes
    powdered eggs
    cheese grits - not instant

Elaborate:
    cheese biscuits - bisquick, water, cut up block cheese - fry in Banks FryBake with oil
    Powdered egg omelets with dehydrated mushrooms and cheese
    Beignets with powdered sugar - get the cafe DuMonde Mix and don't forget the powdered sugar and a sifter - clean up well - use liquid fuel bottle as rolling pin

Over the top
    I usually do this the night before in a Banks FryBake -- wouldn't carry that thing long distance but for 20 or 30 miles, what the heck:

Make Carrot Cake mix with powdered milk and dehydrated eggs and cook on hot campfire coals in Banks FryBake - careful not too hot - you can scorch it -
    you need to put it in the coals and pile some coals on the lid so it cooks evenly. Put big rock on top of it for the night to keep mice out.
    In the morning, make homemade cream cheese icing to top it with - really a stellar trail breakfast - I obviously don't do it much.

Everything above naturally served with coffee except for the beignets which are served with coffee and chicory.

DSCN2467-1.JPG frybake - Ruth Glacier Alaska - climbing the ice route "Shaken, not Stirred"
    Last edited by Papa D; 01-22-2012 at 23:18.

I had pop tarts every morning I was on the trail from GA to ME...blueberry was my favorite and I never got tired of them! They were fast and easy and available everywhere along the trail. For the first couple of weeks I made coffee every morning but then I decided it wasn't worth the time, so I just drank water along with the pop tarts.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    you forgot the very best one - mix with big dollop of peanut (or almond or cashew) butter
    Thanks for that. Might try it, but with bacon also. One of my favourite sandwiches if bacon and peanut butter on toast, or a toasted bagel. I think I will have to try oatmeal with bacon and peanut butter. Let you know you it turns out.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rusty bumper View Post
    I had pop tarts every morning I was on the trail from GA to ME...blueberry was my favorite and I never got tired of them! They were fast and easy and available everywhere along the trail. For the first couple of weeks I made coffee every morning but then I decided it wasn't worth the time, so I just drank water along with the pop tarts.
    OMG - I forgot pop-tarts - what a dummy I am - carry them in "bricks" - not just for breakfast

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Thanks for that. Might try it, but with bacon also. One of my favourite sandwiches if bacon and peanut butter on toast, or a toasted bagel. I think I will have to try oatmeal with bacon and peanut butter. Let you know you it turns out.
    If it's really cold, this will warm you up and get some calories on board - really great - being a vegetarian, I'll skip the bacon - but you enjoy!

I find that oatmeal is the breakfast that works best. The instant packets are lightweight and one packet is enough to give you great energy without making you feel bloated. Sorry.

Just Hitting My Stride!

Quaker oatmeal to go bar and coffee, then . . . more coffee.

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

My sister turned me on to bulgar wheat. It comes in different sized cuts, and if you get the #1 or #2, it cooks like couscous, but with much better nutrient value. Make a double batch for breakfast. eat half like oatmeal with nido, cinnimon and sugar. With the other half, make up a tabouli with parsley, olive oil, lemon juice, and reconstituted onions and tomatoes for lunch ...
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Strawberry Poptarts!
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++