WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Tarp suggestions

I have a Granite Gear white lightning, and I'm not too happy with it. (Gotta get my posts up to 30+ before I can make a thread to see if anyone wants to buy it!)

It's light, packs down into the size of a softball and is 8x10. However, I cant really configure it into anything beside the A-Frame.

I've been looking at Six Moons wild oasis and was wondering if anyone had any experience with that, or any other tarp that uses hiking poles for support.

Journal Entries
    Images

They both have there place, some taller people complain that there feet get soaked with Six Moon, The GG you bought makes a good tarp for hammocks.... so do what you want.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Working on Forestry Grad schol

I have a wild oasis. I thought it was crap and six moons wouldn't exchange it.

Images

I'm 6'2", and have used my wild oasis for a couple of years with out issue. Learning how to pitch it to properly ventilate is simple, and common sense really. Even for my height, as I can't pitch it too high.

I use a hammock mostly now, but keep thinkin' about taking the wild oasis out again. Great, simple, effective tarp.

BTW, I set mine up in my yard to seam seal and spray with an extra 2 coats of silicon. It's a thinner nylon and can mist through during a heavy down pour if you dont' do this.

A basic Equinox 8 X 10 is very versitile.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Keg View Post
    I have a Granite Gear white lightning, and I'm not too happy with it. (Gotta get my posts up to 30+ before I can make a thread to see if anyone wants to buy it!)

It's light, packs down into the size of a softball and is 8x10. However, I cant really configure it into anything beside the A-Frame.

I've been looking at Six Moons wild oasis and was wondering if anyone had any experience with that, or any other tarp that uses hiking poles for support.
    It looks like both those tarps just set up basically one way. If you want configurable, why don't you get a flat tarp? Or is it having doors that you can open that you like? I think the wild oasis looks really good, but I have no experience with it. I've used an Equinox 8x10 flat tarp and a Go-lite poncho.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

I have been very happy with my OES 8x10 sil tarp.
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

To be able to recommend something different, you should tell us what you don't like about it and anything that you do like. The White Lightnin' was my first Tarp. Though after 6months, I already wanted something smaller and lighter so I moved on to a MLD Grace Solo Tarp in cuben Fiber. 3 years latter and a thru-hike of the PCT, I still like it.

I hiked the PCT with a guy who used the Wild Oasis. He bought a Gossemer Gear SpinTwin Tarp afterwards as he didn't like the condensation of the Oasis. Actually, he lusted after my cuben fiber tarp, but the price was more then he wanted to spend.

Nothing more versital than a flat tarp.

I guess I'm just looking for the next best thing. Smaller....lighter...faster...easier.

I wouldnt consider myself a tarp guru, and have never actually used anything different or configured my tarp a different way so I'm trying to see what my options are.

Quote Originally Posted by Keg View Post
    I guess I'm just looking for the next best thing. Smaller....lighter...faster...easier.

I wouldnt consider myself a tarp guru, and have never actually used anything different or configured my tarp a different way so I'm trying to see what my options are.
    There are lot of tarp options out there.

-What are you looking for in a tarp? Size, shape, cut etc

-What are you looking spend on a new tarp?

For under $200 you can get a lot of tarp:

-MLD's Cuben Fiber mini ($160)
    -Gossamer Gear SpinnTwinn ($175)
    -Zpacks Cuben Fiber 6x9 ($175)
    -OES also makes really nice tarps with plenty of options

If you are looking for a step up from an "entry level" tarp then the above would be a good places to start looking.

a sil nylon 10 x 10 can be used in so many configurations depending on weather and can be had for $100, weights 15oz.

geek

8x10 sil nylon is the most versitile vs weight vs cost.
    15-16 oz sealed.

5x9 campmor extended sil nylon poncho tarp is the lightest and doubles as rain gear. You probably want a bivy with that one.

10x12 sil nylon tarp can be set up can be set up like an a frame tent with doors over a hammock. 19-20 oz sealed.

The larger tarps can also be set up like tubes, diamond, forrester etc.

The very lightest are the Zpack tarps.

Images

I have a wild oasis. Only condensation is when it rains, which in WV can be a lot sometimes. I did stay mostly dry, but did have to mop it down inside several times. I have determined that the condensation is bad in the rain and at no other times because the mesh skirt will get water splashed up on it and that forms a "film" over the mesh and very effectively cuts the venting ability of the mesh. So, short story is that I cut the mesh out. I know that defeats the purpose of the mesh, but the problem with condensation on rainy nights was reduced significantly and I have other tarp tents with mesh to use on buggy trips. I wonder if sewing the mesh skirt in maybe six or so inches in away from the tarp edges would help? Hmm, just thinking out loud.
    It does set up pretty fast and has adequate room, it is livable and I do like it. Site selection is critical to avoid wind driven rain coming in around the front.
    Give Me Mountains & I Am Happy!

Images

six moon designs, outsoursed to china yet?
    don't like logging? try wiping with a pine cone.

Images

Another manufacturer no ones mentioned yet is Bozeman Mountain Works. They carry a lot of different options in terms of dimensions and material and compare well to other tarps in terms of weight.

How bout making your own. You can dial in the design the way that you want.

Images

Wat configurations did you want to set the tarp into? It is just an 8x10, 10x10, 10x12 tarp with a slight cantenary curve. Why can't the White Lightning be set up in different configurations? Sorry, don't have one but am most curious.

I've tried putting it up in a few configurations without much success, half pyramid etc. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong?

I found a video on youtube of a do it yourself cuben fiber tarp that I might give a try if I can find the material.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++