WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default sleeping bag suggestions?

I have a MH Lamina 35. Will that be ok for a nobo hike starting march? Im thinking I may have to get a liner...

Never hurts to have a liner. I use a silk one with my 20 degree bag when it's really cold.

What temps have you slept comfortably to in it? And while a liner will add a few degrees, I wouldn't completely count in it. When it's cold I would say it would be better to have a bag that works rather than relying on other stuff to get me there. Also, what kind of clothing will you be supplementing it with?

And I assume you are talking about for next year since today was the last day of March?
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

I've never personally used a liner because I toss and turn so much in my sleep. If you flip and flop around like me, you may not like the liner idea.

Which part of March? Started last year on March 1st with 15 degree bag and didn't switch to my 30 degree bag until mid-April. Our coldest night was 9 degrees in late March. This year is much milder, but even today a couple of the southernmost shelters in VA are forecast for lows in the 20's.
    The mountains are calling and I must go.
    - John Muir

http://postholer.com/revlee

Yes...next March
    I usually sleep pretty warm. I do most of my camping in the ADKs and it has worked well for me so far. I havent used a 20 degree bag in almost 10 years! But do most of my camping in the summer and fall. 9 degrees scares me a bit though. I will most likely have a heavy weight long underwear top and bottom (EMS T3) and a MH Zonal Jacket, as my warm layers. I feel like a 20 degree bag will be useless for me come mid April. I just dont want to purchase yet another sleeping bag...
    I was actually hoping to even switch to the Thermarest Sleep system (Tech Blanket) for April on to MK. It weighs less than my MH Lamina

well, if you can now, depending on where you live, or in the fall, test sleep at known temps to see what is what. That is the only dependable way I know to make sure you are good to go. What works for one, may not work for you, sleep temp wise. Practice will bring you the knowledge you need. Sucks to be cold at night. good luck.

Hike smarter, not harder.

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    I've never personally used a liner because I toss and turn so much in my sleep. If you flip and flop around like me, you may not like the liner idea.
    I tried a liner last weekend for the first time. It was horrible. I was twisted up in it under a quilt, can't imagine it in a mummy bag.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

++ New Posts ++