WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ULA Circuit

Default ULA Circuit

Really...All I wanted to say is this...I love my ULA Circuit...you really should go out and buy yourself one. Youself would love you for it..promise...Long live the ULA Circuit!

They really are great packs... I am very happy with mine. Glad you like yours!
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

Looking at getting one also. But would anyone know if you can carry more then the 35lbs. max. weight for a few days if needed, thinking while going 5 to 7 days on PCT before resupply.

If I recall...the max is 35...but the suggested is 25-30. I don't really understand that. Honestly...I am still feeling mine out and I had 40 in it the other night and am sure it could pull it off. I think you may lose some of the comfort though...What do u think Stick? U have carried it more than me.
    Lead, Follow or get smacked in the head with my Trekking Pole! www.mybackpackingblog.org

Hike smarter, not harder.

Quote Originally Posted by levidoug View Post
    Looking at getting one also. But would anyone know if you can carry more then the 35lbs. max. weight for a few days if needed, thinking while going 5 to 7 days on PCT before resupply.
    I don't think it would hurt the pack at all for a few days. Might not be the most fun until you ate a few meals though. Kind of like most other packs.

I am constantly amazed that people could be supporting the economy of Utah (or several other states) by buying high quality domestically produced gear, but insist on buying from Vietnam, or China.
    Last edited by skinewmexico; 04-03-2011 at 20:36.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

I haven't carried near that much so I cannot say how well it does at that weight. The most I have carried in it was maybe around 27 pounds for a few hours on a recent trip when I filled all my water containers for a few miles. Other than this is has been between 17 - 25 pounds for a trip. and with this, it was sweet.

There are a few testers over on Backpackgeartest.org that have reviewed last years model Circuit with up to 40 or more pounds and they still gave it thumbs up..

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/revi...Rick%20Dreher/

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/revi...John%20Waters/
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

Just got mine last week!!! It makes me very happy when I get hiking gear and I pick up the box on the front porch and it is a light feeling box! That is the first on my "is this gonna be good?" checklist!
    "You just have to tell them that you have a hunger and a thirst. And you may not sit at the same banquet table as them, but you have a hunger and a thirst. So they shouldn't judge you."

I always heard great things about ULA and the Circuit. I ordered both a Gossamer Gear Gorilla and a ULA circuit so that I could compare them both. They are both incredibly well made, but I went with the GG Gorilla. I just really liked the design of the Gorilla better and the lack of what I saw as extraneous features. The Gorilla was also a full pound lighter which was nice. I'm sure you will love the Circuit though
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far". Theodore Roosevelt

Images

I've got the CDT not the Circuit but they're similar and I love it. I searched around a lot before I bought a pack and I've no doubt I made the right decision. And the CDT at least carries larger weights well, and I think the rec. load is a bit lower than the Circuit too.

Hike smarter, not harder.

I like my Gorilla too. Smaller than the Circuit though.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

I have had my circuit for about 1.5yrs now and I absolutely LOVE IT. Just thought I would throw that out there.

Also, I may be going nuts but did they increase the CI of the circuit? Thought they used to be 3800ci? Now they're 4200?
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

Were you able to test ULA packs somewhere before pulling the trigger? I'd be interested in checking one out to test the feel, but it seems the only way is to buy and return.

Images

Some AT outfitters carry them. Not sure if any are near Boston. I ordered the Ohm sight-unseen, but was able to test the Circuit at Neels Gap before buying it.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

I have a new Circuit coming tomorrow

Images

I have a ULA Circuit and an Osprey Ariel 65 and I really prefer the Circuit have quit using the Osprey. Now ULA makes an S strap for women I got mine before he added that option. But I am happy with my Circuit.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Journal Entries
    Images

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Some AT outfitters carry them. Not sure if any are near Boston. I ordered the Ohm sight-unseen, but was able to test the Circuit at Neels Gap before buying it.
    NOC in Gatlinburg has them now. I'm in the market for one, plus a lighter 2 person tent, and 0* 800 fill bag(like to find one around 1.5lbs ) for my thru-hike.HS

Images

For the down bag, do you mean 0-F or 0-C ?? A 1.5 pound bag good to 0-C (32-F) is pretty easy to find. I don't know of any good to 0-F at that weight. My WM Antelope is closer to 3 pounds at a true 5-F rating. (And quite toasty, I would add.)
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

aka Kudzu
    Images

I've looked at this and it seems like a fine pack. Doesn't look like I'll shave a whole lot of weight from my Deuter though. The Gorillas looks nice too but too small.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    For the down bag, do you mean 0-F or 0-C ?? A 1.5 pound bag good to 0-C (32-F) is pretty easy to find. I don't know of any good to 0-F at that weight. My WM Antelope is closer to 3 pounds at a true 5-F rating. (And quite toasty, I would add.)
    I was asking if there was a down bag rated at 0-C (32 -) of that weight. The only thing i came across is The Mont-Bell 880 fill down U.L. Spiral Fill Sleeping Bag is rated to 0 degrees at 2 lbs ( 0.91 kg) 9 oz ( 255 g ).I have seen some ultralight hiker's have only goose down on top and no down at the bottom.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikingshoes View Post
    I was asking if there was a down bag rated at 0-C (32 -) of that weight. The only thing i came across is The Mont-Bell 880 fill down U.L. Spiral Fill Sleeping Bag is rated to 0 degrees at 2 lbs ( 0.91 kg) 9 oz ( 255 g ).I have seen some ultralight hiker's have only goose down on top and no down at the bottom.
    Sorry, I'm still not clear on what you need.

A bag rated to 0 degrees Fahrenheit, which is freaking cold, is going to weigh at least 2.5-3 pounds. That's for an expensive, 850 fill down bag from a high-end company like Western Mountaineering or Montbell, etc.

A bag rated to 32 degrees Fahrenheit, or 0-C, which I would consider the moderate end of three-season hiking, is easy to find in the 1.5 pound range, also in 800 fill from the same makers. The WM Megalite, the Montbell #3 UL Super Spiral, the WM Caribou, the Marmot Helium -- all are good bags at 1.5-2 pounds.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++