WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default All those thru hikers and that thru hiker mentality.

So, this weekend I hiked Allen's Gap to Devil's Fork Gap and back and saw over 20 thru hikers.

I spent some time at Little Laurel shelter eating lunch with a few and I couldn't help but reflect on this being the 4th year of thru hikers I've seen on the AT.

As an observation, I couldn't help but notice how caught up in it they were, about all the trail magic they had received, who was ahead of them, who was behind them, how many miles they were doing, etc. etc, etc, etc., etc.

This time last year there was a completely different bunch out there doing the same thing, thinking the same things, talking about the same things - and now they're all back in their regular lives and many of them may never hike again.

And the cycle will repeat again this year.... For now and for them, it's "All about me." and I guess that's the way it's supposed to be.

Also, it's good to see that the role of "Control Person" is still in effect. Ever notice how there is always one person in a group hiking together that needs to be in charge of "Central Planning and Control"? :-)

Images

It is great to see a whole new group excited about the prospects of thruhiking the AT.

But, for section hikers that excitement continues year after year !!!!!
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

After reading Pirate's Facebook page about this year's crop passing through Neel's Gap, I'm glad I hermit hike and don't need a " Control Person".
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    After reading Pirate's Facebook page about this year's crop passing through Neel's Gap, I'm glad I hermit hike and don't need a " Control Person".
    Pirate must be a saint for putting up with what he does at Mountain Crossings. Someone at the hostel needed to let everyone know that what Pirate prepared for breakfast and dinner was not trail magic.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Pirate must be a saint for putting up with what he does at Mountain Crossings. Someone at the hostel needed to let everyone know that what Pirate prepared for breakfast and dinner is not trail magic.
    Makes me glad I'm leaving late.

Grr another reason for edit button. Was supposed to be quoting wingedmonkey.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    You can always pick out the Control Person. He/She's the one standing over a map with a guidebook and sometimes a pen and paper doing math while everyone else is just sitting around having fun.

Images

Haven't heard the term control person before. Now that you mention it I've seen a few over the years and they weren't all on the trail. Guess that's when the HYOY needs to be employed. Don't think it would be much fun having someone else telling you when to hike and how far. Just hoping I can get into shape again for next year. If I make it I would like to look back and say " I did it my way". Sorry Frank.
    "The difficult can be done immediately, the impossible takes a little longer"

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    This time last year there was a completely different bunch out there doing the same thing, thinking the same things, talking about the same things - and now they're all back in their regular lives and many of them may never hike again.
    Not me, I did my thru last year, and have not been able to get the AT out of my mind. Every time I cracked a book to study for classes, I thought about what it was like walking across Max Patch, a perfect spring breeze with the smell of grass, and coming over a mountain early in the morning and watching the sun peek over the horizon, and seeing small towns nestled in the green valleys on a warm summer morning.

I have been hiking at small local trails since then, and it is nice, but not the AT. So I finally decided, after months of thinking about it, to just get on the AT again. Leave college for now, and see where my wandering will take me over the years. I have sold or gotten rid of my stuff, which wasn't much at all, and am giving this comp to a friend when I leave. Everything I own will be in my pack.

This took a lot of thought, but I knew I would never be truly happy until I follow this tangent to its conclusion. I am not happy with the "prizes" society offers, I have to do what makes me happy.

... And the cycle will repeat again this year.... For now and for them, it's "All about me." and I guess that's the way it's supposed to be. ...
    The cycle they're caught in is a wash cycle and they're guaranteed to get washed.

I'm about to go out for a week down south where I might meet some and I'm fairly certain the thru hikers likely won't say much to me once they find out I'm "just" a section hiker. Even though I've hiked GA to CT (plus VT and NH). I don't mind; it's just where their heads are at. Not their fault, really. I was like that once.

Respect experience. All kinds of people can teach us all kinds of things if we're just open to it.

Images

Default "Control person" is kind of a loaded term.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    Haven't heard the term control person before. Now that you mention it I've seen a few over the years and they weren't all on the trail. Guess that's when the HYOY needs to be employed. Don't think it would be much fun having someone else telling you when to hike and how far. Just hoping I can get into shape again for next year. If I make it I would like to look back and say " I did it my way". Sorry Frank.
    Nobody much likes controlling types. Lots appreciate somebody taking the lead when it comes to planning or other aspects of a trip though - particularly small groups who hike together. Everybody brings a little something to the table. You have your Lewises and your Clarks. Between the two of them, they pulled off a pretty decent hike.
    Last edited by The Counselor; 04-02-2011 at 17:01.
    The future does not belong to the faint-hearted.
    It belongs to the brave.
    - Ronald Reagan, January 28, 1986.

Dangit!!! I can't wait till I am there....
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

Images

So, this weekend I hiked Allen's Gap to Devil's Fork Gap and back and saw over 20 thru hikers.

I spent some time at Little Laurel shelter eating lunch with a few and I couldn't help but reflect on this being the 4th year of thru hikers I've seen on the AT.

As an observation, I couldn't help but notice how caught up in it they were, about all the trail magic they had received, who was ahead of them, who was behind them, how many miles they were doing, etc. etc, etc, etc., etc.

And the cycle will repeat again this year.... For now and for them, it's "All about me." and I guess that's the way it's supposed to be.

Also, it's good to see that the role of "Control Person" is still in effect. Ever notice how there is always one person in a group hiking together that needs to be in charge of "Central Planning and Control"? :-)
    I've been going out and meeting thru hikers for over 25 years as I try to help out with cleaning up after them.Seems like when I first started thru hikers were a lot different than some on the trail these days.It's kinda like if your not thru hiking some hikers don't have much to say to section hikers.What they don't know is that it's still a long way to go and quite a few thru hikers get off the trail for various reasons before the halfway point.......thru hiking today....through hiking days later....

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

You can always pick out the Control Person. He/She's the one standing over a map with a guidebook and sometimes a pen and paper doing math while everyone else is just sitting around having fun.

That's me.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    The cycle they're caught in is a wash cycle and they're guaranteed to get washed.

I'm about to go out for a week down south where I might meet some and I'm fairly certain the thru hikers likely won't say much to me once they find out I'm "just" a section hiker. Even though I've hiked GA to CT (plus VT and NH). I don't mind; it's just where their heads are at. Not their fault, really. I was like that once.

Respect experience. All kinds of people can teach us all kinds of things if we're just open to it.

I think when you see thru hikers farther south they are not as conceited as up north. You should see the I am god thru hiker NOBO mentality to the SOBOS esp. in Maine. Made me want to bite them with the attitude. Big difference though from the Whites south. They hadn't been through the tough stuff and SOBOs have

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Why are they labeled thru hikers? Most don't.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nearly Normal View Post
    Why are they labeled thru hikers? Most don't.
    A lot of them do finish but there are many reasons some don't make it .I have actually asked some and they replied that they were trying their best to finish but it was fine with them if they didn't make it all the way.They were just glad to on the trail doing their best.Seems like every year there are reports of some hikers quitting in GA.Like they get to a road crossing leave their pack at the gap and stick out their thumb..I've heard this several times since I first started hiking in '79...Has anyone else heard or seen something like this?

Why not just go hiking?
    If you do it all I think that's wonderful.
    Just a section hilking blue blazing ******* hiker. I don't have the time....yet........but when I do...........I'm only gonna be a hiker.
    No one will ever call me a thru hiker. Not if I can help it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    I think when you see thru hikers farther south they are not as conceited as up north. You should see the I am god thru hiker NOBO mentality to the SOBOS esp. in Maine. Made me want to bite them with the attitude. Big difference though from the Whites south. They hadn't been through the tough stuff and SOBOs have
    You are so right. The ones I met in NC and TN were friendly and outgoing. Most of those I met in NH and ME we called them Trains as they came through in groups and thought the rest of us were trash. Some would come to the shelters and never speak to you as you were not a thru hiker. I too had a lot of respect for the SoBo as they were friendly and were hitting all the hard stuff right at the beginning. The board here warned me of the difficulty last year and they were so right.

Images

there is always that idiot that wakes up first and decides the NOBO's should hike north LOL. i hate these people with their books and maps. i try to fall behind or hike ahead of them. i deal with controlling people every day in the real world. don't need these know-it-alls on the trail.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++